Verizon Data Package Plans

TimG

Gawd
I'm currently switching over to Verizon and I noticed they have two types of Data Packages.

"Email and Web for Smartphone" is $29.99/month
"Unlimited Data Usage" is $44.99/month

Now I bought my phone, Android Eris, and plan from Amazon and they label their Data Packages like so:

"Unlimited PDA/Smartphone Web Browsing and Email" is $29.99/month
"Unlimited PDA/Smartphone Web Browsing and Email plus Corporate Access" is $44.99/month

As you can see the names of each plan are a bit confusing. On Verizon's site, the more expensive plan is called "Unlimited" but on Amazon's site both plans have "Unlimited" in the name, the only difference is one has "plus Corporate Access."

You could see why when ordering through Amazon I choose the $29.99/month because didn't think I needed "Corporate Access", whatever that is. So, what really is the difference?

Thanks

I'm looking at a SmartPhone myself and was confused when I initially saw the two plans.

Basically, if you want the ability to access your company's e-mail system so that you can send and recieve work related e-mails, then go with the "$44.99" plan.

If I remember correctly:

Email& Web = email and web paid, texts not included
Unlimited Data = email, web, and unlimited texting

For PDA/smartphone, Corporate is if you're hooking up to a Corporate email account.

If I remember correctly:

Email& Web = email and web paid, texts not included
Unlimited Data = email, web, and unlimited texting

For PDA/smartphone, Corporate is if you're hooking up to a Corporate email account.

I've got a Family Select plan, which includes Unlimited Text/Picture/Ect.

So basically I was correct in thinking that I didn't need the more expensive plan if I wasn't a Corporate User?

I'm just trying to avoid that $1.99/MB charge.

The $45 data plan if your company uses a Exchange server and you need to access it. If its just IMAP or POP3, you will be fine with the $30.

I wonder if the $45/month Corporate plan still has the 5GB cap on its "unlimited" data. Does anyone know how to track data usage so I don't go over the 5GB cap on my droid. I'm a pretty heavy browser and youtube streamer on my Droid and am afraid of my first bill, lol.

Edit: Found the page on my "my verizon" site after logging in. So far I've only used 427 MBs the last couple weeks, so I guess I shouldn't have to worry about approaching that cap, heh.

I've got a Family Select plan, which includes Unlimited Text/Picture/Ect.

So basically I was correct in thinking that I didn't need the more expensive plan if I wasn't a Corporate User?

I'm just trying to avoid that $1.99/MB charge.

Right, you don't need the more expensive plan.

I thought Family select was Voice only (no data, so you'd be hit with the charge), though, but I'm really not sure. Just call and ask if there's a data plan attached to your account, it should be $30/phone I believe.

Just received an e-mail from Amazon telling me that the phones have been activated and listed a number for each phone. I was hoping to be able to transfer my existing number. I hope it won't be a problem transferring if they have already issued me a number.

Right, you don't need the more expensive plan.

I thought Family select was Voice only (no data, so you'd be hit with the charge), though, but I'm really not sure. Just call and ask if there's a data plan attached to your account, it should be $30/phone I believe.

Before I got my Droid (a couple weeks ago) me and my wife were on the family select plan with 700 mins/month, but it had unlimited SMS, MMS, and data with it. We both had Voyagers which aren't smart phones so no need for the $30/month data plan. I think they just got select plans for basically any combination of services.

I wonder if the $45/month Corporate plan still has the 5GB cap on its "unlimited" data. Does anyone know how to track data usage so I don't go over the 5GB cap on my droid. I'm a pretty heavy browser and youtube streamer on my Droid and am afraid of my first bill, lol.

Edit: Found the page on my "my verizon" site after logging in. So far I've only used 427 MBs the last couple weeks, so I guess I shouldn't have to worry about approaching that cap, heh.

Yeah, you would have to work pretty hard to transfer 5GB of data on a smartphone...unless you're downloading lots of "Linux distros", of course.

You can still use the $29.99 plan and use Touchdown in the Android Market to connect to your work Exchange server.

Verizon will never notice the difference between the $30 and $45 even if you hook up to exchange, only if you hook up to BES with a Blackberry which will not work without the $45 plan.

Back