SPDIF Optical - No more fixed volume?

I use SPDIF Optical out from my X-Fi Titanium into an external DAC. In the past, the volume has always been fixed (meaning that adjusting the software volume in Windows does nothing). I use the volume control on my headphone amp.

I just noticed that now the Windows 7 software volume control is no longer fixed. It is adjusting my volume! What is going on here? I thought SPDIF Optical out was always fixed volume. I dont want software messing with my signal. Yeah yeah, I can leave it at 100%, but some apps adjust the volume (like online Flash movies, etc.).

Anyone know whats up?

It's been the same on my Vista and 7 builds, and IIRC it was controlled by software on Windows XP for me too.. although maybe it depends on the card you're using for audio.

I don't think there's anything you can do aside from leaving it at 100% all the time/installing Linux. In all of the research I've done into the mixer of 7, it's all convoluted and hard to control manually.

My spdif optical has always been adjustable with windows volume control, winXP, vista, and 7.

Thanks guys. Maybe Creative allows this, but my two prior cards (both X-Fi's from Auzentech) had a fixed volume when using SPDIF optical or coax.

I out grew creative quite awhile ago.
There is one area of win 7 that does not volume control with windows, watching a dvd with media player. If I watch a dvd I get max volume no matter where the slider in windows is.

You can adjust the volume using digital out if your soundcard is encoding the 5.1 with DTS, DD...
So if playing a DVD/Blu Ray with "pass through" digital audio, there is no processing of the audio in the PC and you will not be able to adjust the sound level.
However, if you use your PC to decode the 5.1 audio (ie dont use "pass through") and then use the soundcard to encode 5.1 for digital out (DTS, DD etc) or play analogue, you will be able to adjust the volume while playing 5.1.

Back