Will my Corsair 620hx handle a ATi 5970?

Z

Ziontrain

I can get a real good deal on a 5970 (see specs in sig). Is my power supply enough to handle this beast?

I can get a real good deal on a 5970 (see specs in sig). Is my power supply enough to handle this beast?

I'd say you are fine.. minimum requirement is 600w and that is a good quality PSU. To overclock I would suggest investing in a PSU upgrade, though:

20719.png

i am sorry

do you think that a 620PSU actually produces 620 watt ?

i am sorry

do you think that a 620PSU actually produces 620 watt ?

Look at the bench.. full system uses 529w under load and that is with an overclocked i7. He is fine, as long as he doesn't overclock the 5970. Actually, the 620HX could still handle the overclocked speeds most likely but you'd be really pushing the PSU to its limits and that is not a good thing.

I'm basically trading some old P4 computer parts, 2x2gb of 800mhz ram, x-fi platinum card + $100 for the 5970. I really hope that it will work. The person I am trading locally only has the 5970, I wish he had the 5870 so I wouldn't have to worry about getting another PSU.

Wow that's a great deal. I think if you don't OC the 5970 you should be able to run it. If you want to OC the 5970, I'd definitely upgrade to a quality 750/850w psu though.

I've seen one user have problems with his 5970 on a 25A rail; he had to split his power connectors between two 25A rails instead of just running off of one. I think if you aim for at least 30A on the 12V rail you should be good; 32-36A if you want to overclock with stability.

But that corsair just has like one large 12V rail, right? If so, should be good.

i am sorry i see a lottttttt of wrong and non - experianced answers,

which is really wierd.

to the OP. an 80% plus PSU will develop 80% of its efficency which means.

0.8x620watt=496 watts MAX.

and that's decreasing with time my dear like every mechanical or electrical device.

so short answer is NO. it will not handle that monster power sucking Q660 with 8GB of rams and a 5970 for long.

long answer , lets wait for some more funny answers first

I've heard of it producing more. The 620HX really is a beast.

that one is pure GOLD.

I'm basically trading some old P4 computer parts, 2x2gb of 800mhz ram, x-fi platinum card + $100 for the 5970. I really hope that it will work. The person I am trading locally only has the 5970, I wish he had the 5870 so I wouldn't have to worry about getting another PSU.

get the 5970 trade it for a 5870 and some extra $$

which is really wierd.

and that's decreasing with time my dear like every mechanical or electrical device.

so short answer is NO. it will not handle that monster power sucking Q660 with 8GB of rams and a 5970 for long.

that one is pure GOLD.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If a power supply is 80% efficient it doesn't mean it will only do 80% of it's rated power output, it has to do with how much power it must pull from the wall to output a certain amount. Let's say I need to pull 300 watts and my power supply is 80% efficient. Now if my power supply was 100% efficient I would only have to pull 300 watts from the wall, but since it's only 80% efficient I will have to pull more.

I need 300 watts.
My power supply only 80% efficient.
My power supply has to pull an extra power to obtain 300 watts.
375 x .8 = 300
My power supply will have to pull 375 watts from the wall to feed my computer 300 watts of power.

I never said it was good or that he should do it, but people have gotten more than rated 620 watts out of the 620HX. Please learn yourself before you call others wrong or inexperienced. To learn the actual amount a power supply can output it is best to read reviews, some can do more than rated, but most do much less than rated.

Last edited:
i am amazed at how ignorat some one can be about a subject and yet come out with all this

any ways.

here is what is a power supply to give you a clue at what are we talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

and this is for max wattage of this PSU at 12V ralis

http://hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_Label.jpg&articleid=858&t=a

also what efficency means

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

and bearing in mind of how old this PSU is and how much is lost of its power with time.

and how much load will the 5970.

i think it won't hold long for this PC .

and remember how power hungry OC'ed Q6600s are. i should know i have one.

Thank you for posting links that proved me right. I did fuck up how it's calculated, I'll edit my previous post as not to cause any confusion.

SixtyWattMan is right. Besides like I said before ATI themselves call for a 600 watt PSU minimum for the 5970. You are above their requirements so you are fine.

OC'ed 6600 are power hunrgy yes but an i7 is even more so, which is what that Anandtech review tested with. At stock TDP of a Q6600 is 95w while an i7 is 130w. You also have to consider that those tests are at FULL LOAD, while gaming both GPUs are never used to their fullest, so you can knock off about 30-40w in real world scenarios. Even at full load he is fine so I see no issue here. I just would strongly recommend against overclocking until you get a better PSU.

Dude, read your own link:

Wikipedia said:
The efficiency of a computer power supply is the amount of energy it supplies, divided by how much energy is input. The remaining energy is converted into heat. For instance, a power supply operating at 60% efficiency, supplying 300 watts to a computer would draw 500 watts, and give off 200 watts of heat. An 80% efficient supply would draw 375 watts to produce the same 300 watts, giving off 75 watts of heat.

You prove yourself to be wrong but then continue arguing your position? :confused:

You will be fine with 620.

If a PSU is rated for 620w then it will deliver 620w to the system.
However due to inefficiencies it may pull more than from the wall in order to do so.

Arnge, go troll somewhere else.

Last edited:

which is really wierd.

that one is pure GOLD.

I love it :D

You love it when people try to pass off FUD as fact? :confused:

Sorry had to quote that for the posterity that was epic :D

which is really wierd.

that one is pure GOLD.

Sorry had to quote that for the posterity that was epic :D

Tell someone they are wrong on a subject you no understanding of.
They prove you wrong.
Tell them they are wrong again while posting proof they are right.

It's been a good thread.

Even though this is quite entertaining, does anyone have a definate answer on this or just speculation?

I vote yes the 620HX is a good power supply. I would be shocked if any single physical videocard would take it down. ( granted i realize this is a dual GPU card but still 1 physical card.)

which is really wierd.

that one is pure GOLD.

With a 5970, it uses 529W out the wall.

529 x 0.8 (~80% efficiency of the PSU used) = 423.2W

The HX620, after accounting the 80% efficiency, produces up to:

620 x 0.8 = 496W

So if you take those exact numbers, you would still have just over 70W (after AC -> DC) to spare. So, you are only using the PSU to 85% of its max potential under full load (which rarely happens). So you will no have problems using the 5970 with the HX620.

I did run a Hd4870x2 and a Q9450, both mildly OC:d for a year on a HX520. You're fine.

Not sure what the recommended is for stock clocks but if you're getting this card I'm assuming you'll want to overvolt and oveclock to at least hit 5870 speeds which is more or less the whole point of the card.

AMD recommend 750W PSU for overclocking the card with, I think a 620W would be cutting it close for stock clocks and probably give you a headache if you were to overvolt.

620 x 0.8 = 496W

So if you take those exact numbers, you would still have just over 70W (after AC -> DC) to spare. So, you are only using the PSU to 85% of its max potential under full load (which rarely happens). So you will no have problems using the 5970 with the HX620.

:confused: Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! Two wrongs DO make a right! ;):D

His idea is wrong, but at least his yes/no answer to the original question is right.

I really don't see why this is so difficult... :confused:

Because he called me wrong then started spreading fud. I would never trust an answer from someone who has no fucking clue what they are talking about.

Here it is off AMD's very own website;

650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...s/ati-radeon-hd-5970-system-requirements.aspx

I would say you might have problems, and you might not.. If you do you know why..

620 x 0.8 = 496W

Ok so with your math the system has 124Watts total of power to use???

Back