Norco 4220 vs Norco 4020

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
What are the main differences between the Norco 4220 and Norco 4020?

The backplanes on the 4220 uses one SFF-8087 connector each while the 4020 uses one SATA connector for each drive.

The backplanes on the 4220 uses one SFF-8087 connector each while the 4020 uses one SATA connector for each drive.

How organizing all those cable ect.. and space and is the design easy to work with?

The main difference is the backplane. The 4220 uses the multilane cables, and the 4020 uses sata connections.
Both support both SAS and SATA drives.

The 4220s front bezel is less porous then the 4020 and because of this the 4220 comes with extremely loud fans. Just putting it in separate room or closet will not do much for the noise.
Cavediver, has designed a new fan bracket that supports 3x120mm fans so you can use quality fans and still get plenty of air moving.
This bracket also works in the 4020, and you can get a silent 4020 when using one of these brackets.

Really depends on what is most important to you.
Less cables or quieter system.

I'm leaning towards the 4020 with Cavediver's 120mm fan bracket
$50 for 4 cables is kinda ridiculous

I'm leaning towards the 4020 with Cavediver's 120mm fan bracket
$50 for 4 cables is kinda ridiculous

I would just replace the fans with 80mm panaflows.
They move plenty of air, and its still quiet.

2nd the panaflo suggestion, if you don't want to buy a separate bracket.

My fan bracket developed some cold solder joints where the molex connects though... I didn't find out till after a big transfer went through... a few of my seagates (the 1TB 7200rpms in the middle) developed some bad sectors due to the extreme temps but the outer drives and the 5400rpm drives seem fine. Some solder reflow and the joints are good now though.

gonna go 4020 as it's $35 cheaper plus no cables to buy, so that's $85 less
plus the 4020 should work better in low airflow

I already bought the fan board - I have a lot of 120mm fans already I can use

i use the fan board with the 4020... the top supports will need to be bent under the top of the case for the lid to go on.... I didnt use anything to screw the top in.... just the bottom, which lined up with a couple screw holes there already...

if you let the top mounting tabs sit on top of the side rails of the case the lid will not close.

Still much better than 80mms and worth the cost.... plus good 80mm fans = the cost of 3 120mm yateloons + fan board...

4220 also has perpendicular backplane PCBs, IIRC, so it isn't just a wall of PCB and air can flow through.

What is this Cavediver 3x120mm fan plate, and where could I get one? I replaced the stock fans with 80mm Yate Loons at its quiet enough to sleep in the same room with, and HDD temps are around 35C, would like to get cooler.

I'm out of the 120mm fan boards right now. I hope to hear back from the fabricator this week on ETA for a new batch.

I'm using cavediver's fan plate with a 4220 and it works just fine. Routing cables around it is a little tougher because its bigger than the original fan board.

Looks like I am going with the 4020 otherwise I would need to get new cables for my Perc 6.

i love my 4020, i only open it up once every 6 months to do some hardware upgrade or cleaning....

only then do i wish i had a 4220 :D

the SAS cables would be a lot easier to deal with and all the SATA connections on the backplane are annoying. I actually had to use hot glue on some of them, because the connections were not very strong and the cables had some tweaks in them

i love my 4020, i only open it up once every 6 months to do some hardware upgrade or cleaning....

only then do i wish i had a 4220 :D

the SAS cables would be a lot easier to deal with and all the SATA connections on the backplane are annoying. I actually had to use hot glue on some of them, because the connections were not very strong and the cables had some tweaks in them

I already have my 3 foot SAS to 4 SATA cable so the Norco 4020 should be better for me.

I now need to investigate the noise problems....

I am using the 4220 120mm custom fan bracket and it works fine. Only 2 mounting holes line up but it holds fine.

Back