Logitech Z5s slight hiss... looking for new speakers

MJZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I like my Z5s for the decent sound they put out and the fact they use one USB port for audio and power.

I'd like to keep it that way, but I've noticed some idle hissing that I could stand to be without.

Does anyone have any good 2.0 suggestions (no thank you subwoofers), that are preferably USB only (but if they are separately powered, not the end of the world either).

I would also like to try another brand besides Logitech.

when you say USB only, you mean USB for audio and power, or just for the audio signal, or are you willing to entertain something that uses conventional TRS plugs? (the later gives you loads of flexibility)

It's a laptop :)

Asus G60Vx running a C2D, so probably a PM45 chipset.

Yep, I prefer USB only (power & audio) but if there are 2.0 solutions for conventional plugs that's fine.

It's a laptop :)

Asus G60Vx running a C2D, so probably a PM45 chipset.

Yep, I prefer USB only (power & audio) but if there are 2.0 solutions for conventional plugs that's fine.

USB limits your options considerably, basically to cheapie sets

you might consider a USB or FireWire connected audio device, like X-Fi USB, and then connecting whatever speakers you'd like to that (as I'm doubting you use any of this while mobile?)

This will be connecting to Desktop as well, so it USB isn't make or break. But 2.0 is (I don't see the need subwoofers and they are annoying).

This will be connecting to Desktop as well, so it USB isn't make or break. But 2.0 is (I don't see the need subwoofers and they are annoying).

the subwoofer reproduces lower frequencies that the sats cannot, generally with PC speakers thats like 120hz on down, which is pretty important for reproducing audio

as far as 2.0 speakers, look at Creative's desktop speakers as well as active monitors from Swans and Behringer within your pricerange

Cool, I'm looking at the Behringer MS40 ($130), M-Audio AV40 ($142)... which one would you suggest?

How about the Altec Lansing expressionists?

Cool, I'm looking at the Behringer MS40 ($130), M-Audio AV40 ($142)... which one would you suggest?

How about the Altec Lansing expressionists?

personally I've had bad experiences with Behringer products and reliability, so I'd probably go with M-Audio based on that

as far as the Altec Lansing speakers, probably not so much (unless you're getting the 2.1 setup (Theres a few variations))

like the VS4221 or VS4121

I got the M-Audios from Amazon... they aren't impressing me as much as the price tag seems like it should though. Maybe it's my onboard sound. They don't seem to be much better than my Z5s.

Nope, no hissing. The Z5s I could hear over my computer noise. This thing I can sleep with it on (it stays on when the system is off), which is a good thing indeed. I've had a bunch of speakers in the past that were intolerable on idle, and I had to switch them off after shutting down.

PS. I like bass in moderation. I'm the guy who turns down Bass for clarity and mid-range more often than not. These M-Audios have a bass-boosting button that skyrockets the bass... unneeded!

I guess that's why I don't like 2.1s. I have no desire for the satellite unit that produces low range that I end up turning down anyway! :)

Nope, no hissing. The Z5s I could hear over my computer noise. This thing I can sleep with it on (it stays on when the system is off), which is a good thing indeed. I've had a bunch of speakers in the past that were intolerable on idle, and I had to switch them off after shutting down.

PS. I like bass in moderation. I'm the guy who turns down Bass for clarity and mid-range more often than not. These M-Audios have a bass-boosting button that skyrockets the bass... unneeded!

I guess that's why I don't like 2.1s. I have no desire for the satellite unit that produces low range that I end up turning down anyway! :)

and this is where I'd say, you've yet to have a really quality set for full-range reproduction, you should never have to turn down low end to improve midrange clarity

the M-Audio setup should do just fine though, and yeah, bass boost is a silly feature (doesn't matter in what context)

You should consider the Swans since they seem to match the sound signature you like. The Swan D1080MkII fits in the price range of what you were looking at previously.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-d1080mkii/products_id/113

I have the Swans M10 and they sound like they should sell for a whole lot more than the price I paid for them.

Ahhh why weren't you here earlier before I bought the M-Audios???

Yea, these M-Audios are fine but not are not stunning. I remember being stunned years ago by some headphones like the Etymotics, but I haven't really been really impressed since (with stuff in my price range heh).

Ahhh why weren't you here earlier before I bought the M-Audios???

Sorry, I don't stalk you as often as I used to. By the way, you left the faucet running in the upstairs bathroom again.

Back