Windows 7 Install Limit

1 per hardware set up. That's how it's always been and will be unless they release a "3-user" version.

Is the number different depending on what type of Windows 7 you buy
Yes, because OEM can be on one system, and then it should live and die with that system. Retail can be reinstalled an infinite number of times, just one PC at a time.

I'm also not sure where you've gotten your information, but whoever told you a single XP license (non-VLK) could go on 5 systems at a time....should be ignored from now on.

How many times can you install one Windows 7 key on different hardware configurations?

Is the number different depending on what type of Windows 7 you buy (eg. OEM vs retail)?

Is it the same as XP when you use up your install limit - you phone them and they activate it if you've 'uninstalled it from the last system'?
No Windows OS, including XP, has an 'install limit'. You just can't activate it on multiple hardware configurations in a relatively short amount of time. If you space out the installs you should never see your key give you that error.

I'd get my key rejected occasionally after a hardware upgrade. It was a breeze to call up the number and get it reset though. They've got some nice voice recognition where you just read the code off the screen and put in the one they give you, never have wait to talk to a person.

Does the whole "license key" concept really go over people's heads that much?

yes ... depending on who it is and how well versed they are. not everyone deals with this stuff all the time and when there are so many different options, it's hard to keep track of it all.

i say the hell with it and just try it for yourself and see :D

No Windows OS, including XP, has an 'install limit'. You just can't activate it on multiple hardware configurations in a relatively short amount of time. If you space out the installs you should never see your key give you that error.
I just wanted to point out that by this post I am in no way suggesting installing your single copy on multiple machines. I'm merely referring to how many times you can re-activate that single copy if you reinstall the OS on the same machine.

yes ... depending on who it is and how well versed they are. not everyone deals with this stuff all the time and when there are so many different options, it's hard to keep track of it all.

i say the hell with it and just try it for yourself and see :D

The more "versed" they are, the more confusing it is, because they decide to make it confusing.

The Windows purchased in the store, and the Windows that comes on that new laptop or desktop.. it's always been one install per PC. They've never sold Windows as a "volume license" in any way except through business channels, and people who pay for a volume license certainly know what they have, since it ain't exactly $199.

When people read online about volume keys and multiple activations and "tricks" for installing the retail on multiple machines and OEM stuff and whatever else, it just becomes a massive influx of unneeded data that confuses them.

I just wanted to point out that by this post I am in no way suggesting installing your single copy on multiple machines. I'm merely referring to how many times you can re-activate that single copy if you reinstall the OS on the same machine.

you can reinstall it an infinite number of times. Always could.

But as stated earlier in this thread, too many times in too short of a period would cause you to have to call them up for an activation code.

but there is no limit to the number of times you can reinstall Windows on a machine with the same key.

I don't think you guys are understanding the question. Here is what happens with XP:

- I install Windows, and activate the automatic way (either over the net or using the telephone service where you enter a code and a pre-recorded voice gives you an activation code).

- I make a major hardware change and it wants me to reactivate - I do an automatic activation as above.

- I make another major hardware change and it wants me to reactivate - I do another automatic activation as above. And so on... I *think* the limit was 3-5 automatic activations.

- I make yet another major hardware change and it wants me to reactivate - I attempt to do an automatic activation as above, but I'm given a message saying something along the lines of "Sorry, according to our records you have activated Windows on the maximum number of PCs".

- Now I call the number used for automatically activating via phone, and press the key to speak to a human operator. I tell them: "I recently made a hardware change, and now Windows wont activate", and they give me an activation code.

What I'm asking is; how many times will I be able to automatically activate Windows 7 after major hardware changes before I have to speak to a human operator?

If you're using a retail license, and as long as you've only installed one copy on one PC at any given time, then you have unlimited reactivations regardless of what hardware you change. Now, assuming "major hardware changes" means motherboard changes, an OEM license cannot "legitimately" be reactivated.

I don't think you guys are understanding the question.
Sure we are. You just aren't understanding the responses. XP also resets that number every 6 months, I believe, if there are no reactivations.

As mentioned above, if this concerns you in any way, get yourself a retail license. You could reactivate it once a week if you felt like it, as long as it is in use on one computer at a time. Who cares if you have to talk to a human or not. In my experience with XP, it is hit or miss....sometimes you'll get the recording to work, other times it has to bounce you out to a human. Either way, you aren't doing anything wrong, you have a legit license, and you'l be able to reactivate.

So does 7 reset that number? And whether it resets it or not, what is that number (that was the original goddamn question)?
Who cares...honestly? If you are reactivating that much to worry about it, you need to make adjustments on your end on what you do with your systems, then worrying about some limit. In fact, if you really need to reactivate that much, why would you even bother reactivating Windows 7 anyway? Just use the 120 re-arm method until you get the system set the way you want it, and THEN activate it.
How do they know whether or not you've uninstalled it from the last PC?
It's called a hardware hash, and when that hash changes, it tells Microsoft that it is being activated on a different computer. That's why the activation trips when major components are changed.

So does 7 reset that number? And whether it resets it or not, what is that number (that was the original goddamn question)?

So are you saying only OEM licenses have a set number of activations? With retail it's infinite with no 6 month cool down period or anything?

How do they know whether or not you've uninstalled it from the last PC?

Activation count is on MS's end, and it's the same for all acitvation encumbered OS's. They have a database that keeps track of which keys were used with which hardware... or rather hardware hashes (they can't see exactly what hardware you've activated with, but if a significant portion of the hash changes, they know the hardware that was used to generate it changed). OEM and Retail alike have (community best guess, I believe) 6 months reset periods. OEM allows one activation in that period of time, while Retail allows many more.

Jeez, never mind then. Don't know why you guys are beating around the bush. Scared some idiot will mistake a straight answer for implication of piracy or something?
And yet you accuse us of not understanding the issue. I'll try and simplify it. Do you see anyone else asking this question? The answer is no, because no one else is bothered by any limits. We all are aware your intent to buy a legit license, so the only person bringing up piracy is you. Now, let's move on, shall we?

The reason no one else is asking this question, is because no one else is doing whatever it is that you are doing to trip the activation. If you are constantly swapping major parts THAT often to trip activation THAT often, you should consider the rearm method I mentioned. I've swapped many parts within all of ym Windows 7 boxes and haven't once tripped the activation.

The point is, you are getting your panties in a bunch worrying about an issue that doesn't deserve an ounce of worry or thought. Choose your hardware, install the OS, and go one enjoying your computer, rather than worrying about this. If you upgrade or swap a part, and need to reactivate, then do so. Like I said before, since you will have a legit retail license, why worry? You aren't doing anything wrong, and are entitled to reactivate. If it just so happens that you are bounced to a human, again, who cares? You have a legit license, and are entitled to be reactivated.

You are getting all worked up over something that deserves no worry, no thought, and not one other person is concerned about. There are enough issues in the world today to worry about. Reactivating your own legit OS is not one of them.
That's what I needed to know. :)
And thats what you were told before too. You just chose to get your underoos in a bunch, rather than pay attention to the answers you were given. That's becoming very common on here...I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

You don't have anyting to worry about. If you are buying a legit license, you will be fine.

Last edited:
Ok, I am planning on doing a major hardware upgrade (motherboard, cpu, ram). I have a retail copy of Windows 7 Prof. registered right now. Is there some way to unregister the license, or will I have to call up to have it reset? (Also, is the mentioned call to the Microsoft support, or is there a special number?)

Ok, I am planning on doing a major hardware upgrade (motherboard, cpu, ram). I have a retail copy of Windows 7 Prof. registered right now. Is there some way to unregister the license, or will I have to call up to have it reset? (Also, is the mentioned call to the Microsoft support, or is there a special number?)

You don't have to do anything. Upgrade your hardware, and try to boot it up. It if it boots up, it might ask to reactivate. So reactivate just as you did the first time. Then install the drivers for your new hardware if needed.

If it doesn't boot up, then you'll have to reinstall, but there's no requirement (or even a way provided) to deactivate a copy of Windows.

or will I have to call up to have it reset?
Chances are, you won't have to call, but even if you do, it is a quick, painless process. Install the OS on your new system, and get your drivers loaded, to make sure all your hardware is working properly (since it is a new system). Don't enter your key during the install, and take advantage of the 30 day period before putting in your key.

It is so simple.............I done this a zillion times because I have children who tend to bork their computers beyond recognition.............I've done this with OEM and retail copies of whatever version you want to name.

Load OS...........load drivers, etc.

up pops the activation window.................Sorry buddy, you used up yo activations............

call 1-800-activate me..............listen to the prompts.............only one question you have to answer correctly: "how many computers is this copy installed on?"

your answer: "none"

the nice voice then issues you an activation code.:D

How many times can you install one Windows 7 key on different hardware configurations?

Is the number different depending on what type of Windows 7 you buy (eg. OEM vs retail)?

Is it the same as XP when you use up your install limit - you phone them and they activate it if you've 'uninstalled it from the last system'?

I have a ultimate key have have installed in on about 12 pc's already and all activated fine

Same with 'Upgrade' licenses?

This "upgrade" business is all new to me......until W7, all I ever used was OEM XPs or a retail version of Vista Home Premium...........

The EULA is essentially the same of the new "upgrade" versions.......mine are full retail versions, so I cannot imagine the process being any different.

Believe me, I've been on the phone for activation updates at least a dozen times in the last year, and I've never had to speak to a real live person.......I even activated the same copy twice in the same day.............as long as you say "none" when it asks you how many computers you have the version installed on...........away you go.

I admit I have not tried the W7 waters yet........yet..............my kids will give me that opportunity soon I'm sure.

Quick question, with Windows 7 Release Candidate is there any sort of limit on the amount machines I can activate that on?

Thanks

Quick question, with Windows 7 Release Candidate is there any sort of limit on the amount machines I can activate that on?

Thanks

You could put the RC on as many machines as you want with the same key, but in March 2010 the machine will go dark after 2 hours and you'll have to reboot it. I'm not sure if/when it completely stops functioning.

You could put the RC on as many machines as you want with the same key, but in March 2010 the machine will go dark after 2 hours and you'll have to reboot it. I'm not sure if/when it completely stops functioning.

Ok, thanks for that. Just need to sort my brothers laptop out as its full of crap & i'm not putting vista back on it.

Sorry for the thread jack

Ok, thanks for that. Just need to sort my brothers laptop out as its full of crap & i'm not putting vista back on it.

Sorry for the thread jack

Why not? You're eventually going to have to anyway when Win7 RC's timebomb goes off (which is just about 3 months away). Unless you're going to try to convince him that he needs to pay for a new OS when he's already got one that's perfectly usable.

And yet you accuse us of not understanding the issue. I'll try and simplify it. Do you see anyone else asking this question? The answer is no, because no one else is bothered by any limits. We all are aware your intent to buy a legit license, so the only person bringing up piracy is you. Now, let's move on, shall we?
:rolleyes:
People WERE answering different questions than what he asked/assuming different things/implying ignorance/stupidity unnecessarily.

I thought he was right to re-phrase his question in more clear/elaborate terms and glad to see he finally got a reasonable answer. The suggestion regarding the "re-arm" is also helpful.
:)
It's too bad they don't sell "non-activation" versions of Windows to us guru/geek types who are constantly upgrading our computers and have 5 - 10 PCs in our house (we mostly only actually sit at one at a time, so I see no issue with having the same license installed at all of them). After all, we're the ones that help/setup/recommend OSes to everyone else - moms, grandmas, uncles, people at B&M stores who ask us questions because they just assume that we work there for some mysterious reason, etc.

I myself just bought Windows 7 ($29) and put it on a "test" PC to see how I like it. I love it, so now I want to install it on my "main" PC. Not sure if I want to "move" the license over, or buy a 2nd copy. I will want a 2nd license soon for my wife's PC anyway and I couldn't stand paying more than $30 for Windows [so I'll have to buy another one before that deal is over anyway]. Regardless of all that, I don't particularly want to have to call in and wait on hold (and maybe get transfered) talking to Microsoft support. Last time I called, I got transferred 4 times and spent about an hour on the phone to get my "Upgrade" Windows 7 activated since what I read from the online store where I bought it said implicitly that I could do a "clean install" - it just didn't specify some of the key details required to allow it to activate when doing it that way...

Back