Mini Worklog - Making the switch, P160 --> ATCS 840

patriot71

Gawd
I hope you enjoy my mini worklog. Unfortunately I'm not a pro, and it will show! Also, if anyone has any tips for removing spray paint from a driveway, please forward them my way. The wife is pissed!

My Antec P160 was a great case, but it has seen better days. Since I am no longer water cooling, I didn't have a need for the case in its current setup and I was really missing hard drive bays.

I was finally able to make a decision between the 800D and the ATCS 840. I chose the ATCS 840 because I really liked its look. The only cons of this case are that the interior is not black and there is no case window. The solution? Do it myself!

I was able to paint the interior of the case over the weekend and move into the case. I haven't had an opportunity to make the window, but that will be done within the next month or so. I need to scrounge my town for some acrylic. I am really hoping I will not need to order it online.

I would like to apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures. I only had my iphone camera availabe at times.

On to the pics!

Here is my P160 back when the water cooling was installed.
photo.jpg

My old X2 4200+ and Nvidia 7900GT treated me well, but when it was time to upgrade my water cooling system was not going to cut it. I didn't want to spend a fortune on upgrading water blocks, so I switched to air once I built the rig in my sig.
DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

Once the 800D came out, I started jonesing for a new case. I really liked the 800D but I was not satisfied with its stock air cooling reviews. The $300 price tag also killed it for me. After much dilemma and reading, I decided on the Coolermaster ATCS 840 and I am not disappointed.

Delivery!
FrozenPC.com actually had to frankenstein two boxes together to ship this to me. Notice the directional arrows on the box.
IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

This thing is huge! The first thing my wife said when she saw the case was, "good god, its huge"! Unfortunately, I've never once heard her say that before.
IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Comparison shot of the ATCS 840 and the P160
DSC01759.jpg

There was some damage to the styrofoam, but the case seemed to be undamaged except for the shroud.
IMG_0138.jpg

I found scratches in the external cooling shroud. If I was obsessive about this sort of stuff or the scratches were on the outside of the shroud, I would contact Coolermaster. They are pretty substantial scratches and my camera doesn't really capture the depth of them.
IMG_0148.jpg

After having the case for about an hour, I started to get busy disassembling the case. My wife asked what the hell I bought it for if I was just going to tear it apart. Women don't get it.

Tear down
DSC01741.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

On Saturday it was 30 degrees outside. Since I don't have a garage or any indoor well ventilated area, I got to paint in the freezing cold. I used Krylon satin black that is meant for metals. I picked it up at Wal-mart. The can stated it required no sanding or priming and claimed a drying time of 15 minutes. I did rough up the case surface with wet/dry sandpaper to ensure a good bond between the aluminum and paint. I did a total of three coats and allowed an hour drying time in between each coat. Unfortunately it was windy and half the paint I was spraying did not make it onto the case. Because of this, I had to use two cans.

Paint
DSC01746.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

Done!
DSC01747.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

I allowed the paint to dry overnight and I began reassembly today. I forgot to take photos of the reassembly process and only have photos of the system installed. Overall, I think it turned out well considering this is an eight dollar paint job. Like I mentioned previously, I will be doing a window mod. I intend on replicating the window offered by Frozencpu.com. Thanks for posting your window measurements!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...tom_Side_Panel_w_DIY_Bolt-On_Full_Window.html

All in all, I am very pleased with this case. The build quality it A+. The case is easy to work in and I love the fact that the removable motherboard tray consists of the entire back panel. Being able to remove my H50 at the same time I remove the motherboard is awesome. In the future, I may add a few holes for cable management purposes.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the case or if you want to tell me I suck at painting!

On to the final pics
DSC01755.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

The figure prints have been wiped off!
DSC01758.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

5/19/10 Update - Added Window

I finally got around to adding a window to my case. As usual, it didn't turn out perfectly but I am still satisfied with how it looks because I was able to do it myself. I had to use a dabble of superglue on the corners of the molding because it wanted to stick up when routing the corners. Unfortunately when I tried to wipe up a bit of excess w/ a paper towel it stuck to my case and I can't get it off. Doh! You can see it around the bottom right corner of the molding. Solution? A Sharpie :D

The window measures appx 18x20 and I preferred the off center look as opposed to centering the window. I think it gives the case more character.

I got my plexi from estreetplastics and my channel molding from McMaster Carr. On with the photos!

No flash
DSC02055.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

My next upgrade will be a DECM filter, a pair of gentle typhoons for the H50, and a NZXT Sentry2. I will be adding the filter to the back of the case and having my H50 be an intake as opposed to exhaust. I've read of others having great results with having the only exhaust fans be the top fans.
Once that upgrade is complete, more pictures will follow.

Last edited:
Good build. I did one similar using the same case. If you wanted you might try to stealth your dvd drive. Would add another little touch of style to the case. Its what I did (with some success). I also suggest adding the rear fan bracket thing. It took my GPU temps down around 5-10 degrees and allowed me to use RivaTuner to turn down the GPU fan and make things much more silent.

I think what he means is to attach the stock drive bay panel that came with your case to the sliding tray of your dvd drive. Then push your drive back a bit so the panel is flush with the rest of the case when the tray is closed. You can either solder a new switch somewhere else for the eject button, or attach something in between the button and the panel so when you push on the panel, it'll push the button. Great job on your case.

You did a good job on the case. I also have the Cooler Master ATCS 840. I haven't had the time to spray the inside of my black. It looks way better in black compared to the silver. The brushed aluminum can really get dirty!

You did a good job on the case. I also have the Cooler Master ATCS 840. I haven't had the time to spray the inside of my black. It looks way better in black compared to the silver. The brushed aluminum can really get dirty!

That is for sure. My cat has a tendency to sit on the top of my case near the power button and I am constantly brushing away her dirty paw prints.

Added photos of the window mod.

More to follow upon adding a pair of gentle typhoons and nzxt sentry 2.

What I find funny is that I made the opposite switch just a week or so ago. I moved from the ATCS 840 to an Antec P182 and dont regret it at all. My GPU temps are lower due to my ghetto mod (to be posted later) and it fits on my desk better. It is a bit noisier but I havent put in any extra dampening material. Once I do that I think it will be just as quiet.

You should love the case, its MUCH easier to work in and the fans are whisper silent (as I am sure you know). Also worth noting you can use your fan controller with them. I did it with my Sentry LX and they worked with no problems.

Back