Psyko 5.1 Headphones

maliclipse

Weaksauce
Has anyone tried these?

I've been using a set of Medusa NX headphones for a while now but would like to see if there is anything better out there. I really don't care about the price. My wife won't let me do a 5.1 in our office because playing CS:S would really annoy her so I'm limited to finding a good set of 5.1 headphones. These have had decent reviews.

MH

5.1 headphones are commonly recognized as vastly inferior to stereo headphones coupled to a dolby-headphone capable sound card.

What sound card are you using right now ?

5.1 headphones are generally a no-no in the audio world, although most gamers I've talked to seem to like them

can't really say I've got experience with the set you're looking at, if you can try them out (some manufacturers/retailers will give you a 30 day return policy (like Bose, for example) to test out their stuff) I'd say go for that, if you like them, keep 'em

otherwise I'd have to agree with noxlord's suggestion, either Dolby Headphone or CMSS-Headphone (the later being Creative's answer to Dolby) and a decent pair of stereo headphones, this is something I'd like to think I've got a bit more experience with, so ask away

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking at this for purely FPS games, no music, no outside audio, I have a real stereo for that.

Right now I'm using the onboard audio on the motherboard. I had a soundblaster XFI card but it hissed and the microphone wouldn't work properly no matter what I tried. I could live without the mic more or less but the hissing from the soundcard really got to me. I've never had problems with the onboard audio and I did try to reinstall from scratch including the drivers and the OS.

I'm going to check if these Psyko guys have a return policy. I'd like to see what difference there would be from the medusas I have now.

Maybe I'll try a new soundblaster xfi card or one of those asuretek xfi ones, hopefully it'll be better as well.

MH

I've never used 5.1 headphones, but I have used the Dolby Headphone on my Sondigo Inferno quite alot with my Sennheiser 280s and I have to say, it's a very convincing immersion coming from 2 channels. I would almost say startling the first time I used it playing Battlefield 2, and I'm not easily startled. I think all CMedia 8788 based cards support Dolby Headphone, so you have several choices right there.

Dustin

I've never used 5.1 headphones, but I have used the Dolby Headphone on my Sondigo Inferno quite alot with my Sennheiser 280s and I have to say, it's a very convincing immersion coming from 2 channels. I would almost say startling the first time I used it playing Battlefield 2, and I'm not easily startled. I think all CMedia 8788 based cards support Dolby Headphone, so you have several choices right there.

Dustin

just a note:
Asus Xonar boards are *technically* 8788 as well, and also support Dolby Headphone, among other things

honestly to OP:
if you're buying a soundcard, get something that supports Dolby Headphone, and grab the Psyko's if you can test them, and compare stereo/whatever with Dolby HP to the Psykos with 5.1

I got my set of Psyko 5.1s this week and have been using them for a few days. The positional audio is great for gaming with my X-Fi, but I don't use them for music and movies because the fidelity isn't stellar. One thing I noticed that the reviews don't mention is that because the speakers are in the top, they're audible to others in the room. I also think they look funny, but that's a matter of opinion. Some of the reviews mention that the microphone doesn't sit securely and swivels, but mine is very snug. Maybe it was a problem in the demo units that was fixed in the final product. I bought them sight unseen, but Psyko Audio has a 15 day money back guarantee and a 1 year warranty for them. Hope this helps.

I got my set of Psyko 5.1s this week and have been using them for a few days. The positional audio is great for gaming with my X-Fi, but I don't use them for music and movies because the fidelity isn't stellar. One thing I noticed that the reviews don't mention is that because the speakers are in the top, they're audible to others in the room. I also think they look funny, but that's a matter of opinion. Some of the reviews mention that the microphone doesn't sit securely and swivels, but mine is very snug. Maybe it was a problem in the demo units that was fixed in the final product. I bought them sight unseen, but Psyko Audio has a 15 day money back guarantee and a 1 year warranty for them. Hope this helps.
I have the same set up with the X-fi fatality. I didnt think they looked that bad. I like them for the fps gaming and have it set up on a splitter and 5.1 speakers for movies and what not

Back