Nvidia PCIe 1x or PCI card for Physx

daskobold

n00b
I am looking for an Nvidia PCI express 1x or PCI card capable of running Physx at a decent clip. I have a an Asus Maximus Formula board and 1 Sapphire 5850 card. I plan on running a second 5850 in Crossfire once prices drop so I don't want a standard PCIe card for Physx. I have 2 available PCI slots and 1 PCIe 1x placed in between the 2 PCIe x16 slots but the only thing I can find in PCIe 1x is ATI cards on the Egg. Would a 9500 GT or even a 9400gt 512mb suffice for Physx? Would the PCI slot affect performance?

Both of those two cards are too slow for PhysX.

You could possibly mod something like an 8800GT into a 1x slot. It should be physically compatible so long as you cut out the little end in the back of the slot so the 16x card can fit (most of the connector will hang out the back, but it will work fine).

Both of those two cards are too slow for PhysX.

You could possibly mod something like an 8800GT into a 1x slot. It should be physically compatible so long as you cut out the little end in the back of the slot so the 16x card can fit (most of the connector will hang out the back, but it will work fine).

yep. This will work.

If there is not enough space, you may use a LP card (or just skip this requirement...) and a PCIe1 extender/riser card to give you the clearance neaded.

Back