What on earth is LTH BD-R?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
And what is difference between LTH BD-R vs. regular BD-R?

And why do they make it?

Wiki knows! :p
BD-R LTH is a write-once Blu-ray disc format that features an organic dye recording layer. The advantage of BD-R LTH is it can protect a manufacturer's investment in DVD-R/CD-R manufacturing equipment. Only modifications are required to current equipment; no investment in new production lines is required. It is believed this can lower the cost of discs.

Old Blu-ray players and recorders can't utilize BD-R LTH, however, a firmware upgrade could enable the device to access BD-R LTH.

More info here.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LTH+BD-R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable#BD-R_LTH_.28Low_To_High.29
BD-R LTH is a write-once Blu-ray disc format that features an organic dye recording layer. The advantage of BD-R LTH is it can protect a manufacturer's investment in DVD-R/CD-R manufacturing equipment. Only modifications are required to current equipment; no investment in new production lines is required. It is believed this can lower the cost of discs. [6]

Old Blu-ray players and recorders can't utilize BD-R LTH, however, a firmware upgrade could enable the device to access BD-R LTH. Panasonic has already released such a firmware update in November 2007 for its DMR-BW200, DMR-BR100 and the MR-BW900/BW800/BW700 models. [7] Pioneer is also expected to ship the first LTH BD drives in Spring of 2008[8]. Furthermore, Sony's PlayStation 3 received firmware upgrade to enable BD-R LTH reading in March, 2008[9].

I already went to wiki before I post. But I don't understand what they are saying when it mention about cost. Now I get it.

I don't like the idea of organic dye. It sounds like cheap dye, and thus, cheaper. That would explain the lower cost on the barrel size BD-R vs. regular dye

I don't like the idea of organic dye. It sounds like cheap dye, and thus, cheaper. That would explain the lower cost on the barrel size BD-R vs. regular dye

It's the same technology used to fabricate every CD-R and DVD-R ever sold (to my knowledge only organic dyes are used). That's including the 'archival grade' extra expensive ones that are rated to last decades or longer. Do you 'not like' the idea of OLEDs based on no facts whatsoever as well?

Either way, you're not forced to use this less expensive media if you don't want to. The mention of it when you're buying a drive just means you have the option of using it if you want to save money... and probably sometime in the future these will be the most common media available. BD-R is still very immature and has very little penetration.

"Organic" is probably more likely to mean "carbon-based," rather than "dirty hippy food."

It's the same technology used to fabricate every CD-R and DVD-R ever sold (to my knowledge only organic dyes are used). That's including the 'archival grade' extra expensive ones that are rated to last decades or longer. Do you 'not like' the idea of OLEDs based on no facts whatsoever as well?

What is the dye use in top brand name like Sony, Panasonic Bd-R etc.?

IF the dye on all the CD-R and DVD-R are organic dye, why is the current Sony, Panasonic BD-R etc. costs More than the ones from JVC (JVC uses organic dye LTH BD-R)?

What is the dye use in top brand name like Sony, Panasonic Bd-R etc.?
Existing discs use a metal-based recording layer I believe. As far as I know they aren't dye based. This is why they cost so much more to produce; the materials are more expensive, existing facilities can't be reused, and the process is probably more complex as well.

I am not talking about the Blu Ray video that already has some video in it. Let me clarify the question:

at ebay, a blank Sony BD-R media is about $xx to $xx, 25GB, regular BD-R, does NOT has the word LTH on it.

Now a barrel of 25GB blank meida JVC LTH BD-R is cheaper per unit cost than a blank Sony BD-R 25 GB

But you said it's the very same organic dye everywhere. So why would LTH BD-R be cheaper?

But you said it's the very same organic dye everywhere. So why would LTH BD-R be cheaper?

No, I said organic dye is used for existing DVD-R and CD-R media. Existing BD-R uses a metal recording layer I believe. Using organic dye for BD-R leads to the cost savings outlined.

Back