BF2 (battlefield 2) BlackScreen starting game crash to desktop

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
I'm posting this in hopes it'll find other people having this problem. Specifically hardforum searches and google searches etc..
I "Kinda" had a hard time finding a very specific answer to my question.

When installing battlefield 2 and trying to play w/ the 1.5 patch I was getting a black screen.. and after a few seconds 5-10 seconds. The game would exit back to my desktop.

I found 2 great pieces of advice that will prove very handy if you have this problem.

1) Right click and go to the properties of the battlefield 2 shortcut. You'll notice a parameter at the end of it that says fullscreen 1. Put the 1 to a 0. This will actually allow you to see the error that's causing your crash. In my particular instance it was complaining that I was missing some textures.
FIX:
2) Don't try to install 1.5 Full patch from the initial installation. In other words. If you just finished installing battlefield 2. Don't try to install the 2gb 1.5 patch. Download patch 1.41 full patch, first! Install 1.41 over version 1.0. Now that you're to version 1.41. Update to 1.5 with the full 1.5 download you already have. You should be good to go.

Also, some may ask.. when I try to install 1.5 I get an error that says I have an incorrect version. I forget the actual wording but this means you didn't update to 1.41 first. So do it. If You find yourself trying to put the version # in the registry yourself... YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! :)

Ah I should try this sometime. I was having the same problem, but didn't care enough to look into it that much.

I recently just went back to BF2 myself. I was very quickly reminded of how fucking terrible that game is in terms of bugs, etc. Half the time it doesn't get past the account server login.

When it does work, it sure is a lot of fun, though.

I get a ton of texture/rendering problems when I enable AA in-game, though. I've got a 5870 and Win 7; I figured it is probably driver related, considering how awful ATI's drivers are in general. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Back