Dell Poweredge T110 + Windows 7 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezion

n00b
Hello again everyone. So, you may recall I finally decided on buying the Dell Poweredge T110 for my dad to use as his home PC. Great price, and more then enough power for his tasks.

Well, running into an issue here. I was able install Windows 7 flawlessly, but when I tried to connect to the internet, it just wouldn't connect. Tried restarting router, using the windows troubleshooting diagnostic to fix the connection issue, everything I can think of. So, I just plugged the cable back into my PC, and alas, here I am internet working perfect as usual.

Called Dell, and they basically said "we don't know, you aren't running server OS, we can't help."

Any ideas on why this isn't working? Is there some hardware issue I overlooked with the NIC or something?

Here's the list of spec:

-Poweredge T110 Chassis with up to 4 cabled hard drives
-Memory for 1CPU Platform
-2GB Memory (1x2GB), 1066MHz, Dual Ranked UDIMM
-X3430 Xeon Processor, 2.4 GHz 8M Cache, Turbo, w/ PE T110 Heatsink
-HD Multi-select
-On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter
-Baseboard Management Controller
-16x DVD-ROM SATA
-Onboard SATA, 1-4 Hard Drives -No RAID
-160GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive-Entry

That's pretty much copy+paste from the shipping info.

As always, any help is much appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: The system also came with this Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation Disk. It says it includes:
-Dell Systems Build and Update Utility
-Dell OpenManage Server Administrator
-Dell remote Access Controller
-BMC Management Utility
-Dell-optimized Drivers
-Dell Online Diagnostics
-Documentation

Now, I don't have the time right this minute to hook up the T110 again, and try to install that, but I figured I didn't need to since I wasn't going to be using any Server OS, and that a fresh W7 install would take care of everything, like it did for my custom built desktop. Can anyone tell me anything about this disk?
I am running out the door now, but if no ones posts about knowing, ill try it when I get home and update everyone. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm sure you already checked but are all of the drivers are installed? Can you get an IP address?

Can you ping?

Update:

So, none of the dell drivers from their site will install, keeps saying im not running the supported OS. Even tried compatibility modes and running as admin, nothing worked.

Went to the NIC manufacturers website, and downloaded 4 versions of drivers, and tried each one. None changed the fact I can't pull up a browser and even go to Google.

So... my friend said I should open up a command prompt and type in ping 127.0.0.1 and it said it pinged 4 time, nothing lost. It also registers when I plug/unplug the Ethernet cable.

I have tried everything I can think of, any one else have any ideas? As a last resort, I can try reformatting with Vista 64, and see if I can get the internet to work.

Also, I am using Windows 7 64-bit

Do you have a network card from the other computer? Before you format pop it in and see if W7 can find the drivers.

I know this is going to sound redundant by did you manually attempt to install the drivers instead of just going by the wizard? When I say manually I mean going to device manager, right clicking on the device and then pointing it to the exact folder where the driver resides?

Ya, I tried all 4 I could find that could have possibly been the correct ones, and manually loaded each one through device manager. Also, in response to gwarren, my desktop computer used on-board Ethernet, if I remember correctly. Been a while since I had this one open, and I have built quite a few I can't remember my own specs half the time. I will open this one up though, and check it out.

UPDATE: Tomorrow after company leaves, I am just gonna try loading Vista 64 on it and seeing if that fixes the issue, since that is cost-free.

Another friend mentioned picking up a PCIe network card, and trying that over the on-board device, if Vista doesn't work. That sound like a good plan, or something else I should try first? Keep in mind, I have literally no money at this time, and would have to borrow money for the network card.

pop in the systems management disc.
it should have the drivers on it, and should tell you which ones you need to install.
should

Ok. So, had to put this on hold because of the Holidays, but I am back to it.

So, I tried everything I could think of, and said fuck it with Windows 7, and figured I would try another OS to see if that solved the problem. Well, I just installed Vista-64 and guess what, it didn't work. Even after manually loading the new drivers and everything, still says I have limited or no connectivity.

Anyone else have any other ideas, before I call Dell tomorrow and raise hell?

I also have the T110. If you notice when it boots, it has a default IP assigned via the BIOS. If your network is not set for the same sub-net, you won't get connected. For example, if your network is running at 192.168.1.x, the T110 has a default IP of 192.168.0.x. This will not work. You can change the BIOS setting to automatic rather than manual IP. Which will allow it to get an IP from your DHCP server rather than manually setting the parameters yourself. Hopefully this should fix your problem.

I also have the T110. If you notice when it boots, it has a default IP assigned via the BIOS. If your network is not set for the same sub-net, you won't get connected. For example, if your network is running at 192.168.1.x, the T110 has a default IP of 192.168.0.x. This will not work. You can change the BIOS setting to automatic rather than manual IP. Which will allow it to get an IP from your DHCP server rather than manually setting the parameters yourself. Hopefully this should fix your problem.

He probably has that one figured out after 1.5 years :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back