Too good to be true?

Doozer

2[H]4U
After seeing Mr. Pedantic's thread I decided to try this.
Is this too good to be true?

I have the following set on my i7:
vmx files - numvcpus = "8"
winafc - *\vmware-vmx.exe := ALL [assign=4,priority=Idle]
notfreds - 8 cores per instance

ixe714.jpg

Can you give ppd in the txt. I'm on my phone and the goggles do nothing to help me see the txt in the image.

Same as the other thread Kendrak

SMP1 - Roughly 14.5k ppd
SMP2 - Roughly 13.5k ppd

I'm leaning towards it being some sort of error/fluke but even if it is running the single VM on all 8 cores still gives 15k PPD.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the "you're a nutter and I never knew why I trusted you" hypothesis. My first VM is still at around 10k ppd. All good. However, it's been 15 minutes and the second VM has yet to finish a frame. Maybe it's because of the MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 variable? I'll change it and post back.

You are probably right but both of my existing WU completed with no problem. Now that I have 2 new ones we will have to see what happens. There was some sort of timing issues when you tried to run two VMs of 4 virtual cores on a quad core but I'm not sure if this will give the same results since there are 8 cores (4 logical and 4 virtual i think is what it's referred to) on an i7 when you run HT.

I moved my results to a new thread here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466855
I'm running a V8 as well and I'm getting an avg temp of around 80 C at full load. the TjMax on the i7 is 100 C so you should be ok at 85C

What case are you running that in though, or is it naked? I'd be scared to run my i7 over 90°C 24/7, lol, you sure that's safe for it?? You keep your ambient temps cool too? If I can get that much PPD out of it, I might bump my i7 up to 3.8 (I've done it before) and open my basement door to let this 40°F air in to cool it off, hah.

Nice. I just looked at the h50 and it looks like I may have to pick one up when I get paid on the 20th. I can throw the V8 on my Q9450. Oh, the i7 is in an Antec 900. I hate the window it has but the air flow seems decent enough.

Nope, doesn't work. For some reason one runs at exactly the same speed as before (even with 60% of the CPU it used to have) but the other one takes ages and ages to complete a frame. I'll go back to the 1 VM option, I think.

Telling ya, with my corsair h50, my i7 never goes above 70c
Mine never goes above 65, that's 40C above ambient. With FAH running it hovers at 60.

Too good to be true. We tried this a while back with running 2-core VMs on one core each. Although the reported PPD numbers are large, that's because they're based on the log file frame times which are in turn based on the system clock of each VM. When you allocate a VM with a certain number of cores to a smaller amount of real cores, the system clock in that VM runs slower than real time which gives the illusion that it's more efficient than it really is.

Yeah, it looks like the same time shifting issue to me. The time stamps keep getting farther and farther offset from the actual time. :(

Doozer = a nutter
:D

Telling ya, with my corsair h50, my i7 never goes above 70c :)

I was considering the H50 before I bit on this V8, but I'm pretty sure that H50 won't fit in my mid-tower Thermaltake Armor+ case. Otherwise, I'd sell this V8 off right now and pick that up. This V8 actually doesn't really fit in there, it hits my side panel when I put it on, but I can still get the panel on, it's just pushed out a little in the middle, hah.

The V8 barely fits in the Antec 900 as well. I had to remove the fan that would blow right on my GTX275 and ben part of the case frame just to get the V8 to squeeze in.

Too good to be true. We tried this a while back with running 2-core VMs on one core each. Although the reported PPD numbers are large, that's because they're based on the log file frame times which are in turn based on the system clock of each VM. When you allocate a VM with a certain number of cores to a smaller amount of real cores, the system clock in that VM runs slower than real time which gives the illusion that it's more efficient than it really is.

With that logic, I'm going to assign eleventy billion (or 32 which is the max, lol) cores to my VM and watch my PPD soar!!!

/grabs popcorn as he waits for the men in white coats to haul 1/2 the team away.

Can I still use this as an excuse to get another i7 even though it was too good to be true? :D

Doozer, if you don't calm down they are going to take us all away.

Ohh and leave the boxen on when you leave for your padded room. I hear they are cozy this time of year.

Can I still use this as an excuse to get another i7 even though it was too good to be true? :D

Why stop there? Grab two! Or even better, three! You can even share and send one to me! :D

If one of us hits the lotto, no reason we shouldnt see 1mil PPD finally on a horde member

If one of us hits the lotto, no reason we shouldnt see 1mil PPD finally on a horde member
That would be fantastic if it happened. Unfortunately, even 1M PPD extra wouldn't stop the EVGA freight rain, but it would sure push them back a ways!

Nope, doesn't work. For some reason one runs at exactly the same speed as before (even with 60% of the CPU it used to have) but the other one takes ages and ages to complete a frame. I'll go back to the 1 VM option, I think.

Mine never goes above 65, that's 40C above ambient. With FAH running it hovers at 60.

I just bought an Antec Skeleton as well as the corsair H50...What a pain in the ass it was to get everything installed in the skeleton- mainly because I accidentally bought the non-modular corsair psu...

Anyway, what voltage/clockspeed are you guys running on your i7s? Just curious because I had a problem with a stripped screw when I was installing my H50 and was wondering if it is causing slightly higher temps...

Currently I have my i7 clocked at 4135Mhz at 1.368Volts and my temps are in the 80-90 range when folding...which doesn't bother me as long as it's stable...I think that is about right considering when I had the coolermaster V8 I would hit the TJMax throttle before I could overclock that high :)

Anyway, what voltage/clockspeed are you guys running on your i7s? Just curious because I had a problem with a stripped screw when I was installing my H50 and was wondering if it is causing slightly higher temps...
3.56GHz, 1.33Vcore

Currently I have my i7 clocked at 4135Mhz at 1.368Volts and my temps are in the 80-90 range when folding...which doesn't bother me as long as it's stable...I think that is about right considering when I had the coolermaster V8 I would hit the TJMax throttle before I could overclock that high
I really don't want to go over 1.35Vcore, since I'll have this computer for quite a while, so longevity and everything. Though given the temps I have, I think it may be stable at far higher clocks.

Well I just won a consulting contract with the Texas Lottery Commision so maybe I can get some inside scoop and we can all buy tickets!!

That would be fantastic if it happened. Unfortunately, even 1M PPD extra wouldn't stop the EVGA freight rain, but it would sure push them back a ways!

As someone who's been here since right after the Big Bang, you well know that it ain't over till the fat lady sings ;) Many things can happen between now and the projected takeover.

VM 1 - 14551 VM 2 - 13486

That is some awesome PPD from those CPU's

Your 1 x CPU is getting more ppd then my 2 x X5550 CPU's
(Listed as 'Main" in this screen shot - taken two months ago)

X5550Fahmon.jpg

Now Granted, you are overclocked to 3.80 Ghz and i am running at 2.66 Ghz

I wish I could run SMP client right now but gotta focus on other F@H things at the moment.

I would like to know how many watts that CPU is pulling at full load and what the temps are.

Back