Installing Windows 7 on old HP 2133

/rant/

Limp Gawd
I know, most people probably won't care but I am currently in the process of installing Windows 7 Professional on my HP 2133 Mini-Note PC which was one of the few netbooks being shipped with Vista Business. It is equipped with a Via C7-M CPU, 2048MB DDR RAM and an Windows Aero capable Chrome 9 IGP (it's okay; capable doesn't automatically mean it's running great). I hope it will give me a little performance advantage when booting the system, as booting Vista on this machine is really painful. Anyhow, I just thought I'd post my personal impressions here... :p

I've been running 7 Ultimate on my Dell Mini9 and it boots fast, operates quickly and I am very impressed how Win 7 runs on it. I am also running Aero as well.
I am not sure how the Via stacks up against the Atom though.

Do you think that adding some flash memory in the form of an SD Card could make my HP boot faster?

Still installing... :eek:

Get a 4 or 8GB SD card and use it as a permenant ReadyBoost card. Helped alot with my netbook that only has 1GB of RAM.

Get a 4 or 8GB SD card and use it as a permenant ReadyBoost card. Helped alot with my netbook that only has 1GB of RAM.
I don't think this will be necessary with my 2 GB; Windows 7 is just running too damn smooth on this setup :eek:

Wow, this is awesome :D

It should run like a dream compared to Vista, by a very wide margin, just as it is right now after the installation. And in time, as long as you don't go mucking around trying old tweaks that XP used or even some from Vista that may have helped those OSes, Windows 7 will improve its own performance given that you've already got 2GB of RAM in it.

Leave it alone... and it'll be just fine. ;)

Windows 7 Pro runs remarkably well on my HP Mini 1101. Hell Aero even runs great which is weird considering my Athlon x2 Dell Lapton with ati graphics aero won't run on. I am now running Windows 7 Pro on three computers, the one in my sig, my dell inspiron 1501 that my wife uses and my netbook. I am very pleased so far.

Well, from what I've seen now, performance is truly remarkable compared to what it used to be. Good job Microsoft; I didn't think that Windows 7 would make that much of a difference (I've been using it on my other machines for quite some time now, but I hesitated to install it here...)

Which version of Win 7 have you installed on your 2133? I have the same unit running Win XP and I was thinking of upgrading to Win 7. Which processor is in your 2133? Any info is appreciated.

I run Windows 7 HP on my gateway LT2104u. I was very, very surprised at how well Aero runs on it. W7 was fine with 1gb of ram, but i threw a 2gb stick in just for kick-and-giggles.

Sweet, OP. Keep it up

I run Windows 7 HP on my gateway LT2104u. I was very, very surprised at how well Aero runs on it. W7 was fine with 1gb of ram, but i threw a 2gb stick in

I also have a LT2104u and Im considering an upgrade from W7S..

Been debating on if I should install HP or just go to W7U..
After doing some research the best bet sounds like to just use HP as if I where using W7U I would have to disable some aspects of the OS to have it run smooth..

Then again I could always customize my Ultimate DVD and just take out what is not needed before install..

I do agree that the 2GB upgrade would be a wise idea for any other "higher" end OS to run on any netbooks...

In the end any thing is better then Vista in my book..
Hell W7 runs less processes as well as RAM anyhow..
Of course I do believe that XP is another option

Later,
civic/scootin

I just installed Win 7 Home Premium on my laptop which has far more power than the HP2133 but half the memory and it seems to run fine. So I am going install it on my 2133. The question I have is did you have any problem getting drivers for the VIA chipset? What about for the HP Driveguard or the HP auto update program? Please let me know.

Thanks

I've got Windows 7 Ultimate running on an HP 2133 replacing Windows XP Pro SP3 and it made a very noticeable difference in both speed and stability. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Back