Ripped off by Windows 7

Blokhead

n00b
I feel like I got ripped off by Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack. I installed on my Main Rig, E6600 oc'd to 3.4ghz, no problems working like a champ. But this is where I fell ripped off... Installed it on my Media Server, dual opterons with 8GB ram, and also on the wife's PC, dual xeon 3.6ghz. After dicking around with it, I figure out both the dual processor systems are running on 1 processor... Can't find anywhere on Microsofts Windows 7 page stating that home premium only supports single proccessors........:confused: Wikipedia does state it, but I don't think I should have to rely on Wikipedia for something that should be plainly stated. Also the windows 7 upgrade adviser doesn't state shit about dual processors not supported... So I wasted 2 home premium licenses on systems that I'm going to be upgrading I guess.

Sorry I had to vent. :mad:

if this in fact is the case i would be very disapointed myself, i have been using windows 7 since january with absolutely zero problems as my main OS. I had no clue about this limitation.

I hope this is not the case with my Win7 Professional coming in also later this week. I have heard though MS is top notch with there CS for Win7, and have done many surprising things(given full refunds for it many times, free upgrades..ect..ect)

From the Wiki article, Win 7 pro supports dual processors, but I would like some documentation other than Wikipedia that states this... So you should be good to go.

Also I'm thinking of going back to XP pro just because of this. It frigging sucks. Also Home Group won't work over my Belkin Wireless N network... Works fine on Gigabit ethernet.

interesting.

Paul Thurrotts super site says otherwise.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Yeah, I saw that too. (that is why I want to find it on Microsofts site, too much conflicting information on the interwebs) I checked my PC in the garage that is the same as my wifes, which is running Win 7 Ultimate (RC) and it shows 4 processors (HT) and my wifes with Win 7 Home Premium only shows 2 (HT) pretty much pisses me off. Also the server running the dual opterons only shows 1 processor, where as XP pro showed 2...

Guess I'll call MS customer service, anyone have the number??

I'll have to try this when I get home tonight. But according to Wikipedia, Home premium only supports multicore, single processor, not Multi processor. I'll try that link tonight.

This is a bunch of BS if thats the case. Grandma and Grandpa can go by a computer off the shelf or order one from Dell or HP or whatnot that has quad (soon to be six) cores. It's not just for corporations who can afford a dual socket (or more) motherboard anymore.

oh wow you are right it doesn't support multi CPU only multi core.

I guess MS didn't learn and the hate goes on.
in my case it wouldn't matter, but the gimped OS so you have to buy a more exp version is bs -_-

Yeah, I feel bad for the Skulltrail owners with dual socket MB's. They need pro or ultimate. I'm going to call MS tonight if I get the chance. I thought I was getting a good deal going with the Family Pack of Home premium. It would have been nice if MS posted Dual Processor support on one of there pretty looking upgrade graphs. I still can't find anything on there site.

I'll try the fixes stated earlier for the dual core problems and also call MS if that doesn't work.

How is this news?

OS Processor support
Xp home 1
Xp pro 2

vista home 1
V- busns/ent/ult 2

W7 Home 1
W7 pro 2

Yeah, the home versions have always only supported one PHYSICAL CPU. You could upgrade the dual Opty system to Pro or Ultimate.

Remember Home is sold in retail and there just aren't any dual CPU systems sold i retail. Honestly there's little need for multi-CPU setups these days.

With multi-core CPU's out there, 99% of home users won't be running MULTI-SOCKETED motherboards anyhow... I don't this being a huge issue.

How is this news?

OS Processor support
Xp home 1
Xp pro 2

vista home 1
V- busns/ent/ult 2

W7 Home 1
W7 pro 2

Okay, I agree, but I didn't even think about it. My point is that this information isn't stated anywhere on Microsofts Windows 7 websites. I've looked. Didn't even dawn on me in the age of multiprocessor computing... Like I said, I just needed to vent. It would be nice if I could get my 2 activations back.

I just got windows 7, but haven't installed it yet....

...I'll be installing it here soon, i there always seems to be some issues with O.S. when they first come out.

The best thing to have is a good running system the handles the requirments well before you even go forward with it.

Hope all is well*

I'm not particularly sure why you'd expect to be able to install a Home OS on a Server and have everything work.

you should note that win 7 HP also cannot be joined to a domain and has a max of 16GB ram limit.

Yeah, the home versions have always only supported one PHYSICAL CPU. You could upgrade the dual Opty system to Pro or Ultimate.

Remember Home is sold in retail and there just aren't any dual CPU systems sold i retail. Honestly there's little need for multi-CPU setups these days.

Actually, that depends on what you use your computer for. If you are a typical user, then no there is little need for muti CPUs. However, if you are a power user like me that works with a lot of high-end 3D software packages like C4D, Modo, Vue, etc. then it matters a great deal. Those packages are 64 bit and can take anything you can throw at it for memory and CPU which means faster render times and also more resources you can use in your scene.

Granted, the typical home user will never work with such high-end software but for those of us that do then it matters a great deal.

Actually, that depends on what you use your computer for. If you are a typical user, then no there is little need for muti CPUs. However, if you are a power user like me that works with a lot of high-end 3D software packages like C4D, Modo, Vue, etc. then it matters a great deal. Those packages are 64 bit and can take anything you can throw at it for memory and CPU which means faster render times and also more resources you can use in your scene.

Granted, the typical home user will never work with such high-end software but for those of us that do then it matters a great deal.

Not targeting you directly,
But why would someone spend extra money on the hardware, and the 3d/CAD software and then buy the cheapest OS they can find?

And you would run a HOME OS on such a machine, running such programs as you mention?? I highly doubt it....

And you would run a HOME OS on such a machine, running such programs as you mention?? I highly doubt it....

It is used for a media server/backup server, figured I'd take advantage of Win 7 home group..., also the wifes computer is a high end workstation (3 years ago), but was a tech refresh from work.

Not targeting you directly,
But why would someone spend extra money on the hardware, and the 3d/CAD software and then buy the cheapest OS they can find?

I didn't buy the hardware see above. But I do see your point. My only frustration was that it is never mentioned anywhere on MS's Win 7 site... Or the box, or anywhere else from microsoft in a official capacity. Also the Skulltrail systems are all consumer boxes, with dual processors.

I'd be upset too.

Did the upgrade advisor mention anything about it?

Nope, it only mentioned that my system wouldn't run aero, since my video card was integrated... No mention that I would need pro or ultimate to take full advantage of the software/hardware.

I'm saying that there are PLENTY of uses for multi-CPU rigs, but heck, with something like an i9 with 6 hyper-threaded cores, even rigs that used to need two CPUs can do nicely with just one.

The need for multi-CPU desktops is just fading.

As others have said, the Home versions have never supported more than 1 physical processor in the past, would not suprise me at all if that continued here.

No idea why they do it, but it really is a moot point. If you are running a system with dual or more physical processors you usually should be running professional anyways. I cannot think of any normal home user machine that runs on more than 1 physical processor....what you described, while being used as a home setup, is an enthusiast/pro machine.

I am sorry for you that you had to find out the hard way, does suck since you already bought the home pack and such. I dont know why MS keeps enforcing this limitation, but it really effects a very small amount of the users out there. (in fact you are the first ever that I have seen bringing it up in all the years that I have been working in and around MS OSes)

This is a bunch of BS if thats the case. Grandma and Grandpa can go by a computer off the shelf or order one from Dell or HP or whatnot that has quad (soon to be six) cores. It's not just for corporations who can afford a dual socket (or more) motherboard anymore.

Its not cores, its PHYSICAL processors. IE multiple sockets.

As others have said, the Home versions have never supported more than 1 physical processor in the past, would not suprise me at all if that continued here.

No idea why they do it, but it really is a moot point. If you are running a system with dual or more physical processors you usually should be running professional anyways. I cannot think of any normal home user machine that runs on more than 1 physical processor....what you described, while being used as a home setup, is an enthusiast/pro machine.

I am sorry for you that you had to find out the hard way, does suck since you already bought the home pack and such. I dont know why MS keeps enforcing this limitation, but it really effects a very small amount of the users out there. (in fact you are the first ever that I have seen bringing it up in all the years that I have been working in and around MS OSes)

Word... I'm really just venting and kinda mad that they don't advertise that fact. Would have been nice to just buy a single home upgrade and then use the extra cash for pro. I've got a netbook and older laptop that I could use the other 2 licenses on, but I've already activated them on the other 2 (dual proc) pc's. Don't know how that would go over with the MS. Don't know how they would handle the activations...

No disrespect intended, but for the OP to be [H]ardcore enough to have such monster boxen (and a dual Xeon for the wife, geez) and to not have put in a bit more effort in trying to find out beforehand if Home Premium would cover more than one socketed processor seems a bit... oh, I don't know, odd? The info is out there, that's obvious. And yes, Wikipedia isn't 100% trustworthy but if you find the info there that you're seeking, it's fairly simplistic to cross-reference it with the sources posted, or do more research into whatever it is you're trying to get information about.

I've never even seen or read specific info about Home Premium and the number of supported sockets - it's always been my understanding that "consumer" OSes - meaning those designed for your average Joe (inside joke, sorry) and not hardcore or commercial entities - have always supported just one physical processor aka socket and nothing more. Windows 7 Professional does, but the name alone is a clue that it's not for your average Joe, and Ultimate, well, that's easy enough to figure out.

I wouldn't call this a case of being 'ripped off,' not by a mile. I'd call it a case of "buyer needs to do a bit more research before pulling the trigger." All that relatively high powered hardware and a few minutes of research leaves much to be desired, it seems.

Just for reference, the best wiki article for Windows 7 comparisons I've seen yet is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

You didn't "waste" a license.

Just grab the Windows Anytime upgrade to W7 Home Premium to Professional.
http://store.microsoft.com/microsof...Home-Premium-to-Professional/product/C562285E

As others have mentioned in this thread, this has been standard practice for a long time. Always had to have Pro/Business or above to get SMP support as far as I know.

Ooo, thanks for the link. I had forgotten about it and it will serve me well since we're using the family pack to upgrade, and it's less than buying Pro on a per-machine basis, roughly $140 for Pro.

Some of you are a bit confused about multi-processor support versus multi-core support. Windows 7 Home Premium supports one CPU with unlimited cores (supports dual-core, quad-core, etc). Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate support two CPUs with unlimited cores. This only affects you if you have a motherboard with two CPU slots, which not normally seen in home PCs.

ya no disrepect but after reading this thread all I can say is "duh"

Your installing Home premium on a workstation machine then bitching at ms????

Well I just got off the phone with MS tech support. They couldn't find any documentation that stated W7 Home Premium only supported 1 proccessor. I was on the phone with him for 1hour 15 minutes, he checked with the lab and they stated the fact that we all know, but ISN'T DOCUMENTED on Windows 7 webpages anywhere. That is my big complaint. Hope everyone is doing well.

Well I just got off the phone with MS tech support. They couldn't find any documentation that stated W7 Home Premium only supported 1 proccessor. I was on the phone with him for 1hour 15 minutes, he checked with the lab and they stated the fact that we all know, but ISN'T DOCUMENTED on Windows 7 webpages anywhere. That is my big complaint. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hmmm so what is MS gonna do for you? I'd like to see them reimburse you or something.(give you an upgrade to Pro for pointing this out to them)

Hmmm so what is MS gonna do for you? I'd like to see them reimburse you or something.(give you an upgrade to Pro for pointing this out to them)

Yeah. Despite all the naysayers here I'd expect a free upgrade or something. It doesn't seem to be well documented.

It's been this way for the last two versions of Windows, going back 8 years now. Cores do not equal processors. This is nothing new, and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, here in 2009. Ever since multi-core processors hit the market, the enthusiast desire for multi-socketed boards has nearly disappeared.
Yeah. Despite all the naysayers here I'd expect a free upgrade or something. It doesn't seem to be well documented.
It's been very well documented that cores don't equate to sockets. If I bought the wrong motor oil for my car, should BMW owe me a free upgrade to the right oil? It isn't their fault I didn't do the proper reading.

It's been this way for the last two versions of Windows, going back 8 years now. Cores do not equal processors. This is nothing new, and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, here in 2009. Ever since multi-core processors hit the market, the enthusiast desire for multi-socketed boards has nearly disappeared.

It's been very well documented that cores don't equate to sockets. If I bought the wrong motor oil for my car, should BMW owe me a free upgrade to the right oil? It isn't their fault I didn't do the proper reading.

So when did "common knowledge" become a norm for marketing products? If you can show
me any documentation or official miscrosoft webpage that shows this info, let me know.

Also I really don't care about getting anything free... I just don't want some other shlub to make the same mistake I did. Microsoft does a good job explaining the differences between the products, but leaves out 1 major difference? Makes no sense why they wouldn't put information about it on their site...

Back