Minimum For Smooth Blu-Ray Playback

djfunz

Limp Gawd
Hello all. I've done some searching online and would like to know what the minimum required specs are for smooth playback of Blu-Ray content from a laptop are. This laptop would be streaming Blu-Ray movies as .iso images from a hard drive and connected to an HDTV from an HDMI port on the laptop.

Would the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS provide smooth playback?
The card has 128MB of memory.

The laptop has a 2.2 MHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of memory.

If this does not provide smooth playback what is the least powerful that card that is best suited?
Thanks for the input everyone.

I believe if you got one of the cards with the newer Purevideo like the 8400GS or 9300/9400 you should be good.
I think the Intel 4500HD can do it as well.

you should be good to go. I think Grentz did not read the part that said that this would be on a laptop that's hooked to a HDTV. the 8400m GS SHOULD (but just barely) have enough PureVideo acceleration capabilities to play the BD-ROM content without having the video chipset stutter during playback.

you should be good to go. I think Grentz did not read the part that said that this would be on a laptop that's hooked to a HDTV. the 8400m GS SHOULD (but just barely) have enough PureVideo acceleration capabilities to play the BD-ROM content without having the video chipset stutter during playback.

I did miss that part, still should work fine though. The 8400GS and 9300/9400 chipsets should be able to do 1080p output for video pretty well. ION is based on the 9400 and eats 1080p :)

you got issues if you cannot get smooth bluray playback with that spec but you are not going to get it at 1080p as the 8400GS-M lacks the memory bandwidth to handle that resolution.

I use a dell vostro 1400 with the following specs

C2D 1.8Ghz
8400GS-M with 128MB Ram
4GB system ram
500GB 5400rpm drive
Display Resolution 1400*900 max external res is 1680*1050 that it will play back smoothly at

Software used

Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Power DVD 8
CPU usage average 28% min 21% max 38%
Memory usage 1.45GB

GS-M has only 64bit interface where as the 8400GS has 128bit

If the 8400GS won't play it smoothly, you can always use something like CoreAVC with Purevideo acceleration turned off and Media Player Classic. A 2.2Ghz C2D is fast enough to play 1080p files as long as they're not encoded at some insane bit-rate. (Since you say you're going to be playing this content as .ISO files I'll assume you're doing the encoding yourself ;) )

^ what do you consider insane bitrates?

Transformers 2 has some pretty high bitrates.......

you got issues if you cannot get smooth bluray playback with that spec but you are not going to get it at 1080p as the 8400GS-M lacks the memory bandwidth to handle that resolution.

I use a dell vostro 1400 with the following specs

C2D 1.8Ghz
8400GS-M with 128MB Ram
4GB system ram
500GB 5400rpm drive
Display Resolution 1400*900 max external res is 1680*1050 that it will play back smoothly at

I haven't had any issues with my laptop...
T7100 + 8400m GS + 1080p external display.

^ what do you consider insane bitrates?

Transformers 2 has some pretty high bitrates.......

Probably anything above blu-ray spec (40Mbps). Not that anyone would re-encode that high, I could just see it being a problem for a low end C2D system if for some reason they did.

the 8400 has hardware acceleration and will do just fine with 1080p reguardless of the low built in ram. BTW, if it's just a straight rip to .ISO then it's stuck with the same normal Bit cap that all BluRay discs have.

Back