Window 7 Turn off ReadyBoost so it Does Not Take Gobs of Memory at Startup

lycanwolf

n00b
Ive been running windows 7 now for a few times here and there. The one thing I hate now is the readyboost system is forced on when its booting up. In Windows Vista you could just shut of the UseReadyBoot in the registry. Now though if you turn it off you get a BSOD right at boot up. So I did some digging in the registry and found out why.

Now I'll give you my system setup it's a quad core intel 3 ghz running @ 3.6 ghz with 8 gigs of ram runnning 64 bit windows 7 Ultimate edition. Default install just all drivers and everything it boots up using around 945 megs of memory usage then after about 2 to 3 mins the readyboost finally shuts off and it bottoms out around 600 megs of memory.

Then I went and turned off Readyboost and get this I was even able to use the SC cmd and delete the whole service directly.

You first have to open regedit and goto this Key exactly

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

In there you will notice something very Odd a key value called "lowerfilters" Now you want to delete that whole key that way there wont be any dependences of the rdyboost on the volume's in you computer.

Now the next part you have to have Administrator Access to delete the service or just go in control panel and user accounts under the UAC and turn off all notifications.

The once you have deleted the lowerfilters you can simply goto CMD prompt and type

sc delete rdyboost

All Done! the whole service is gone.

Now I booted up my system after that and its not only using 533 megs at startup and it doesn't use any more what a freaking differnce. Also my boot time was less. I run SSD's in raid 0 btw.

Default boot time with rdyboost working was 15 sec to desktop
With rdyboost gone and removed 7 sec to desktop.

Now some ppl might say Oh no you need readyboost cause it helps the system boot faster. Ya that what microsoft wants you to belive.

I remember testing the betas of Windows 7 and the first public release and I looked and Guess what the first public release never had Readyboost in the whole system at all. Only later on in RC's did they put it back in.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly Superfetch + Readyboost were rolled into a single service for the beta.

Ive been running windows 7 now for a few times here and there. The one thing I hate now is the readyboost system is forced on when its booting up. In Windows Vista you could just shut of the UseReadyBoot in the registry. Now though if you turn it off you get a BSOD right at boot up. So I did some digging in the registry and found out why.

Now I'll give you my system setup it's a quad core intel 3 ghz running @ 3.6 ghz with 8 gigs of ram runnning 64 bit windows 7 Ultimate edition. Default install just all drivers and everything it boots up using around 945 megs of memory usage then after about 2 to 3 mins the readyboost finally shuts off and it bottoms out around 600 megs of memory.

Then I went and turned off Readyboost and get this I was even able to use the SC cmd and delete the whole service directly.

You first have to open regedit and goto this Key exactly

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

In there you will notice something very Odd a key value called "lowerfilters" Now you want to delete that whole key that way there wont be any dependences of the rdyboost on the volume's in you computer.

The once you have deleted the lowerfilters you can simply goto CMD prompt and type

sc delete rdyboost

All Done! the whole service is gone.

Now I booted up my system after that and its not only using 533 megs at startup and it doesn't use any more what a freaking differnce. Also my boot time was less. I run SSD's in raid 0 btw.

Default boot time with rdyboost working was 15 sec to desktop
With rdyboost gone and removed 7 sec to desktop.

Now some ppl might say Oh no you need readyboost cause it helps the system boot faster. Ya that what microsoft wants you to belive.

I remember testing the betas of Windows 7 and the first public release and I looked and Guess what the first public release never had Readyboost in the whole system at all. Only later on in RC's did they put it back in.

well this looks like one of the more ignorant things I've ever read. you do not even know what readyboost is. sounds like you are talking about superfetch. and neither of those are at all designed to make your system boot faster.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Boy I just love the ID10T erros on here. Readyboost is off and Superfetch is working just fine. Superfetch is just a service tagged with the Prefetcher and I left Superfetch running. Readyboost is linked to using a USB flash drive for tempory memory so it can boot faster. But Microsoft are idiots when they programmed it because if you don't use a flash drive then it uses 1/3 of your system memory for the same thing. Point in question ReadyBoot. I was debugging most microsoft systems from dos 1.0 and up. I still even have my Apple IIc here from 1978. Oh maybe you like to play with my Vic 20. I might be a noobie on this forum well theres a reason for that I work for a living. Like I have to time to deal with posting everyday.

Last edited:
If you actually knew anything about modern systems instead of archaic operating systems, you'd know to leave well enough alone. You'd ALSO know that unused RAM is wasted performance, so the idea of reducing RAM in use is a stupid one.

Boy I just love the ID10T erros on here. Readyboost is off and Superfetch is working just fine. Superfetch is just a service tagged with the Prefetcher and I left Superfetch running. Readyboost is linked to using a USB flash drive for tempory memory so it can boot faster. But Microsoft are idiots when they programmed it because if you don't use a flash drive then it uses 1/3 of your system memory for the same thing. Point in question ReadyBoot. I was debugging most microsoft systems from dos 1.0 and up. I still even have my Apple IIc here from 1978. Oh maybe you like to play with my Vic 20. I might be a noobie on this forum well theres a reason for that I work for a living. Like I have to time to deal with posting everyday.

I love it when people e-peen out their old systems. Like we give a flying two shits about how old you are.

BS is BS. :rolleyes:

Um even with Vista, I tested it doing my vLite installs; if you disable Readyboost (even without using a USB drive) your startup time will increase. I'm all for disabling unneeded services, but you should leave Readyboost alone. Whether you use it for a USB drive or not.

e/ And if you don't want to take my word for it, go check MSFN for confirmation.

Um even with Vista, I tested it doing my vLite installs; if you disable Readyboost (even without using a USB drive) your startup time will increase. I'm all for disabling unneeded services, but you should leave Readyboost alone. Whether you use it for a USB drive or not.

e/ And if you don't want to take my word for it, go check MSFN for confirmation.

Link? I'd hate to crawl through a bit to find one thing.

I don't really feel like searching for a thread from a year+ ago either, but nuhi confirmed the findings of the people from the vLite thread and added the recommendation to the vLite program which I can easily show you proof of. Worse comes to worse, ask someone in the MSFN/vLite forum if it is true or not. I don't really care about proving it because I found out for myself it was true (and yes, before it was discovered I used to remove Readyboost with vLite; thinking it did nothing if you didn't use it with a flash drive).
vlite.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, staknhalo.

I'll take vLite's word for it. When I was 'optimising' my system a while back, I disabled readyfetch, as I would never touch it.

Still, despite everything, Vista was dog slow (for me). Just that one computer, though. I blame HP :p.

If you actually knew anything about modern systems instead of archaic operating systems, you'd know to leave well enough alone. You'd ALSO know that unused RAM is wasted performance, so the idea of reducing RAM in use is a stupid one.

Whatever man I really don't care flame me all you want. To me all I see on here is nothing but book smart microsoft certified yuppies. You would rather flame me call me a moron or say things like I don't know what I'm talking about. Fine enjoy your 15 min of fame cause you did that.

I found how to remove it and guess what makes my customers happy. seeing vista and windows 7 not suck back resources for no reason makes alot of my customers happy. Now I'm heading to work in my Corevette today just for fun oh why don't you drive one of those. I really wonder why. I not going to tell you how much money I make a year because that would be pointless since you would just flame that too.

Whatever man I really don't care flame me all you want. To me all I see on here is nothing but book smart microsoft certified yuppies. You would rather flame me call me a moron or say things like I don't know what I'm talking about. Fine enjoy your 15 min of fame cause you did that.

I found how to remove it and guess what makes my customers happy. seeing vista and windows 7 not suck back resources for no reason makes alot of my customers happy. Now I'm heading to work in my Corevette today just for fun oh why don't you drive one of those. I really wonder why. I not going to tell you how much money I make a year because that would be pointless since you would just flame that too.

LMFAO! Either you're full of an awful lot of shit or you're the kind of guy who makes big money because he's good at fooling people into thinking that he actually knows what the hell he's talking about.

Thanks man, you just made my day... almost fell out of my chair laughing, I needed that.

EDIT- Either that or you bought a shitty old corvette for your mid-life crisis and you actually don't make much at all... which is it?

Last edited:
This guy has made my morning. Awesome thread!

What a tool! Clearly he has absolutely no idea how Vista/7 work.

Two things:

1) Why should I care if Windows 7 is using a few hundred megs of ram at startup? I've got 4 gigs sitting there un-used. I don't want to disable windows services unnecessarily

2) Bragging on the internet about how much money you make and what kind of car you drive is not a way to prove how good you are with computers, in fact, it's not good for ANYTHING but a laugh. It may very well be true, but that doesn't make us like you or think you're right about this.

I work with a guy who makes twice as much as me, and he doesn't know a stick of ram from a keyboard.

You what think I just stop replying to my thread. I can see now nobody is ever going to try turning it off since they all think they know everything about windows and hardware on here. You know I have met people that say they know everything there is about computers. There living on street now good for them. I just love it when people online think I'm stupid and everything and they meet me in Real life and find out I wasn't bullshiting. I have even wrote BIOS's in assemmble code language because certain companys would not fix settings for chipset's. I been building systems since MFM hard drives. Do you even remember those things. Funny thing too the freaking Network administator that works for our Federal Government when he gets stuck on something he call's me first not microsoft since they don't even know there own OS's from there Ahole.

I'm just going to stop posting period. All I see on here are ppl that don't have any common sence and can't think at all outside the box there in.

Think I'll even disable my HardOCP account since I can't see anybody smart enough to talk too on here.

Last edited:
Being smart is one thing, but it won't forgive an abrasive, condescending personality. Respect is earned, not demanded.

You need to take a good look at the way you talk to others, and then ask yourself "Why do people not like me?"

Think I'll even disable my HardOCP account since I can't see anybody smart enough to talk too on here.

Good riddance.

Take Direwolf's advice, think long and hard as to why you are getting these responses. Not to mention your ability to form a coherent sentence is lacking.

Being smart is one thing, but it won't forgive an abrasive, condescending personality. Respect is earned, not demanded.

You need to take a good look at the way you talk to others, and then ask yourself "Why do people not like me?"

Are you kidding me? The guy comes here to share and gets a bunch of shit from people in return. I say he gave back what he got.

These forums are loaded with foul mouthed juveniles. Are you gonna be the forum patrol? You'd have better luck starting over and deleting everyone's account.

Dude you can't even spell Corvette WTF, you are such a genius and own this particular vehicle, I would expect you to know how to spell it.

Are you kidding me? The guy comes here to share and gets a bunch of shit from people in return. I say he gave back what he got.

These forums are loaded with foul mouthed juveniles. Are you gonna be the forum patrol? You'd have better luck starting over and deleting everyone's account.

his 'sharing' was full of incorrect information. he called the service the wrong thing and was wrong about what it does. its not like he came in here with an alternative view on something, he posted a text wall of bs.

his 'sharing' was full of incorrect information. he called the service the wrong thing and was wrong about what it does. its not like he came in here with an alternative view on something, he posted a text wall of bs.

I can't attest to whether or not the information he gave was correct or not. There's bad information given out on this forum on many occasions. If ball busting is the standard reply when someone post something THEY believe is correct and is in fact erroneous then so be it.

Let's not even get started about spelling errors. I've made a bunch, so if anyone calls another person out for a spelling error that's just bad form IMO.

There I said it. Now go out there and give those motherfuckers hell boys!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

You're kidding right? He's obviously a troll buddy. If you try and brag about the car you drive and spell the name wrong its a dead giveaway.

I can't attest to whether or not the information he gave was correct or not. There's bad information given out on this forum on many occasions. If ball busting is the standard reply when someone post something THEY believe is correct and is in fact erroneous then so be it.

Let's not even get started about spelling errors. I've made a bunch, so if anyone calls another person out for a spelling error that's just bad form IMO.

There I said it. Now go out there and give those motherfuckers hell boys!!!!!!!!!

He's likely a troll, but even if not, he was full of misinformation and informed of that. Instead of learning or apologizing, he yelled and threw a childish tantrum. P.S. LOL @ OP, you deserve no other answer.

Wow, OP had a bitchfit about being wrong. Cause apparently he's all knowing and everyone else in this thread and vLite and MS is wrong and he knows what's correct.

Oh and just to add, I did try a pair of 60GB Vertex in RAID 0, it was hardly any different than my single 256GB SSD or the X25-M 80GB G2 that I had for awhile. RAM is way way faster still, even though SSD's do rock.

You what think I just stop replying to my thread. I can see now nobody is ever going to try turning it off since they all think they know everything about windows and hardware on here. You know I have met people that say they know everything there is about computers. There living on street now good for them. I just love it when people online think I'm stupid and everything and they meet me in Real life and find out I wasn't bullshiting. I have even wrote BIOS's in assemmble code language because certain companys would not fix settings for chipset's. I been building systems since MFM hard drives. Do you even remember those things. Funny thing too the freaking Network administator that works for our Federal Government when he gets stuck on something he call's me first not microsoft since they don't even know there own OS's from there Ahole.

I'm just going to stop posting period. All I see on here are ppl that don't have any common sence and can't think at all outside the box there in.

Your grammer, spelling, and sentence structure are horrid....

When you learn to grasp the English language, come back so we can have an INTELLIGENT conversation.

just like vista, a fresh installed system will take a few days maybe a week to fully index and start learning behavior. even though win7 works a little more free then vista does at new install, they both need time to get performance up to top.

just like vista, a fresh installed system will take a few days maybe a week to fully index and start learning behavior. even though win7 works a little more free then vista does at new install, they both need time to get performance up to top.

A full index for most people shouldn't take more than an hour. I got 4 years of my gmails and about 500,000 documents indexed in about 5 hours or so. Now the other Superfetch might take a while but honestly my sig rig seemed to be just as fast almost three months ago when I first installed 7 as it is today. Indeed there's LOT more on it now.

I have 27 MB free memory right now and that's great because 4700 MB is cached.

The indexer and superfetch acceleration are among the best features added to Windows since the XP era. This thread is full of fail.

Hehe, the OP could be smarter than (Newton * Leibniz * Einstein * Plank) cubed, but a douche is still a douche.

We also care you probably still live at home with mommy, and bragging about driving to Burger King in your daddy's "Corevette."

No one in there right mind would hire a guy like you, at least not for an respectable position.

LMAO @ the OP. This forum is full of enthusiasts, gamers, developers and people very much "in the know" about anything and everything tech-related, so don't come here acting like you're some hot shit when you clearly are NOT. You can't even spell for crying out loud.

This guy obviously skipped Vista, because this thread is a replay of late 2006/early 2007 when moronic noobs across the internet were freaking out about how much RAM Vista was "hogging".

OP: This system is a cache of things you access the most into unused RAM for speedier access. It hands over that RAM to an application on the fly as soon as the app needs it. Except for that first boot, it's totally transparent and unoticable 99+% of the time. Turning any prefetching service off in Vista or W7 will actually DECREASE performance. Albeit, not by much.

Judging by his spelling/typing skills, I don't think I would like to install a BIOS written by him.....

Back