The [H] Members Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 boycott

Submit your Boycott:

• I will not buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PC

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • I will not buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for any console.

Votes: 36 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
Make sure to submit your boycott on the poll so we can easily keep track of how many people on this forum won't buy this game. If we can get a 1000 people on [H] alone that won't buy this game...that's a good $50,000 out of Activision's pocket. I know overrall that might not be much, but it's $50,000 less then they would of made!:)

I was really unhappy when reading this recent article. I had made threads trying to justify how MW2 might not be so bad, as I really wanted to play this game, but boy after reading this...:

http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activision%E2%80%99s-bobby-kotick-hates-developers-innovation-cheap-games-you

I realize it's just a slap in the face to those that have supported this company. Yes I bought COD4. I hope that this company realizes that they cannot insult their customers and expect support. So why not create a sort of a tally of [H] members that won't support these bastards. Spread the word and even tell your console buddies not to buy this game.

You should add an option for both. I am not buying either. I have a PS3, but I don't play FPS on consoles.

I won't be giving Activision / IW a penny until dedicated server support is added (I won't hold my breath)

They are sticking two fingers up at the PC community so I'll happily boycott it.

Let me join this little shindig. I love the COD series, but no server support is totally gay.
Thats one of the best things of pc gaming.
THis dude just irritates me more about rich people.

"Oh no, Kotick’s goal over the past 10 years has been – you couldn’t make this up – “to take all the fun out of making video games.”

Seriously? Video games are made to be fun.

You should add an option for both. I am not buying either. I have a PS3, but I don't play FPS on consoles.

Well I figured a person would only buy one version for their system. I would add that option but I don't see the how to since the poll has already been created. Main thing is your vote gets counted with either option.

I wasn't buying until I could snag a used copy for cheap anyway. I'm not really hyped for this game anymore with all the kick ass stuff out or almost out (Demon's Souls, Borderlands, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age... etc).

So I guess you can mark me down for not buying, on PC or console (I have all of em).

Might as well boycott all Activision releases...they're doing the same damn thing with Starcraft 2. Wouldn't be surprised to see Diablo 3 pieced out as well.

eh, I'll wait to pass judgement. To be totally honest, I had COD4 for both PC and 360 and I prefered playing online much much more on the 360 just because of the hacks and mods avalible for the PC version. If someone was able to unlock everything with a simple tool, it took the fun out of it.

I'm not sure if this will correct the issue or not, but if it does then I'm all for it as I'd rather play on the PC. I've seen a lot of complaints about lag and such, but I've NEVER experienced this on the 360. According to IW, it will work just fine... you can still play private matches or jump in pubs. Not having a dedicated server kind of stinks, but if their system works like they claim, I really don't see what the big deal is.

this game was a day one PC buy for me until now, i am going to wait and see how things pan out. but i do get the feeling that IW doesn't really care about PC sales anymore. i don't pay for maps and shits for any console i own i am not going to do it for the PC.

I say you need atleast 2 more poll options. Something along the lines of "wasn't gonna buy MW2 anyway." and "I'm still grabbing MW2"

Wasn't going to buy at the $60 price tag thats for sure. Maybe when it's down to $40 like most other new pc releases these days, but seeing as how long cod4 stayed at it's release price, that won't be for a long time.

No dedicated servers is a joke.

Still buying for the 360. Normally I buy it for the PC too to play with friends who just play there, but not at $60 with no DS. I will if I find it for $40 though (XXXXXXX for example)

edit: I guess you can't say the name of a popular game store online anymore? the XXXXX is not me. But I can say probably walmart or amazon?

Last edited:
I say you need atleast 2 more poll options. Something along the lines of "wasn't gonna buy MW2 anyway." and "I'm still grabbing MW2"

I think as long as you know the definition of boycott:

1. to combine in abstaining from, or preventing dealings with, as a means of intimidation or coercion: to boycott a store.
2. to abstain from buying or using: to boycott foreign products.

You don't need those other options. Because if you pick those other options, then it's not boycotting...which is what this thread is about.

And 22 votes so far X $60 per game = $1320 in our boycott group bank account.

Bobby Kotick can lick my hairy nutsack. He should be fucked in the ass with a giant pineapple.

This clearly isn't a poll about whether you're buying or not. If you want one of those, make a thread with one. Voting in this poll is akin to signing a boycott petition, which is the whole point of the thread.

I bet half the people that vote in this will end up buying it. I dont know how you could boycott such an awesome game I dont care what the guy said. Guitar Hero on the other hand.....screw that. I will try not to buy any activision games anymore but I wont be able to boycott MW2 :)

I am getting it for 360 not PC though

Last edited:
Poll is pretty flawed. I did vote for not buying it on the PC, because I will be buying it for console. Everyone is all up in arms over a game the PC crowd was making countless threads about being "no skill/Halo/terrible." It's a console port.

It's a fun multiplayer console shooter. It meant my only criteria: enjoyment. I'll be picking it up launch day for 360.

Poll is pretty flawed. I did vote for not buying it on the PC, because I will be buying it for console. Everyone is all up in arms over a game the PC crowd was making countless threads about being "no skill/Halo/terrible." It's a console port.

It's a fun multiplayer console shooter. It meant my only criteria: enjoyment. I'll be picking it up launch day for 360.

Well I made it a poll so it would be easy to tally the # of people on H who was boycotting the game.

Notice it states submit your boycott...if your not boycotting mw2 then you shouldn't chose any option.

Oh and 59 boycotts so far...that's $3540 in lost mw2 sales...

I won't indulge myself here because I've read enough noise on Reddit about this that nothing I say will be at all insightful, but basically the attitude towards people objecting to their shitty decisions is patronising and dismissive - as though those decisions weren't disabled enough in themself, their refusal to acknowledge some perfectly legitimate objections has me definitely disinclined to buy MW:2.

Also, CoD:MW was gash.

I voted PC but I'm not really sure I'm going to buy it at all....95% of the reason I'm buying it so for MP. If MP is doodoo caca like I'm reading then I'm not getting it.

I hoping to god borderlands delivers or else I'm stuck with TFC2 until assassins creed comes out..or even until crysis 2 comes out.

I wasn't going to buy this in the first place. It's fucking hot potato with grenades that includes a shit load of guns with zero recoil that all sound like air soft guns. Oh and when you get so many grenade kills you get to send a helicopter after people.

I'm probably going to wait to see how the game does before buying it (PC). This really was a poor decision from MW2.

I didn't give a shit about this game before and I still don't give a shit, so I guess you can count me in as a "boycotter".

Well I made it a poll so it would be easy to tally the # of people on H who was boycotting the game.

Notice it states submit your boycott...if your not boycotting mw2 then you shouldn't chose any option.

Oh and 59 boycotts so far...that's $3540 in lost mw2 sales...

You can't assume someone is not boycotting because they didn't participate in a poll. A Poll is useless without that control group which identifies how many people that participated. Furthermore, asking people if they're only boycotting 1 platform and still buying on another platform is silly, and that's not even a boycott at all, it's just choosing 1 platform over the other. Also the verbage of the poll options are not mutually exclusive, it just doesn't make a lot of sense and is very awkward to pick a clear answer.

COD4: MW2 was my favorite game of 2007. I hope MW2 turns out to be my favorite game of 2009. I play single-player on my PC and don't give a damn about server support.

COD4: MW2 was my favorite game of 2007. I hope MW2 turns out to be my favorite game of 2009. I play single-player on my PC and don't give a damn about server support.

Ditto....I actually enjoy SP..and I really enjoyed COD4, so I will buy MW2 but not until it goes on sale or someone wants to sell a used copy. I will miss the server support, but it doesn't make the actual game any less enticing to me.

The single player campaign was my favorite part of COD4 also, but the "experience" wasn't worth $60.

I won't be buying it, period... the only reason I would have was for the multiplayer, but with that neutered and the company's jackass attitude, I'm passing even when it hits the bargain bin, as I have with other games.

Ooh, an Internet boycott. These always work out so well. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the deal was with FallOut 3, but I remember bad press so I didn't buy it (I may at some point since it's hit the bargain bins now but probably not), and I don't plan on buying L4D2 either due to their shenanigans. I didn't even buy L4D1 once I heard about it ;) and guess what... my life is continuing just fine :eek: ! Don't assume because some break what they thought they were going to do that everyone does ;).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know what the deal was with FallOut 3, but I remember bad press so I didn't buy it (I may at some point since it's hit the bargain bins now but probably not), and I don't plan on buying L4D2 either due to their shenanigans. I didn't even buy L4D1 once I heard about it ;) and guess what... my life is continuing just fine :eek: ! Don't assume because some break what they thought they were going to do that everyone does ;).
There's a difference between just not buying something because you don't like it and boycotting something. The point of a boycott is not simply to deprive yourself of the item in question, but to send a message to the producer to change their behavior.

These boycotts always fail on that second part, for two reasons. First, because the reach of the boycott is too limited. The number of people frequenting gaming forums and seeing the uproar about these things is paltry compared to the audience for something like MW2. Activision could give a shit if 50,000 people boycott their game if they're wringing an extra $10 out of the 10 million people who still buy it. Second, because there's no commitment. People are all full of anger and venom when all they have to do is anonymously click a poll on a message board, but the second they see all their friends playing online, half the people in this very forum are going to go out and buy it anyways.

I want to play against players with greater skill level to increase mine. I never had a problem finding servers to play on. IW is attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It is a money grab that will fail big time. I bet single player will phone home to IW. I have bought all the COD games, but it is time to move on like I did with MoH. Battlefield 2 is looking good.
Oh, IW. I will pirate MW2 single player if I can since I have no interest in your IWNet. bye.

im probably just going to rent it for the 360 for the SP and some MP action to see if i like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back