Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, abandons the mid and high end market

duh? They are gonna be last generation (from nVidia point of view) soon, anyways. (to be replaced with new cards, and yes, I have read the article)

Intel has stopped selling coppermines a while back.

On another note, yeah...

I hope nVidia doesn't try to just cater to the high end market, while their low end cards sucked too much power (compared to their direct competitors, even the mid range 4650 used less power and outdid the 9500gt/ 4550 to the 9400gt. What I didn't like was how the 9500gt and 9400gt have the same power draw listed... despite the halving of cores!

Maybe it was just a typo.

Usually I like this guy...but this is just too outrageous to believe. Although i'd like to. :p

okay... it's Charlie...

In Taiwan, he would be a Green (liberal party... they write just like he does) press...
Dunno where to find the Blue equivilent, yet.

I wonder where all the Charlie-haters are? I was getting my popcorn ready....:cool:

Seems a little extreme to say that, unless nVidia has something up its sleeve at this point. I don't think nVidia is out yet though; no competition is not a good sign D:

A little out there, but it does have a shred of believability. I was looking to replace an 8800GT with a $100 GTX260. Hell, 2 $100 GTX260's would be one hell of a deal. Sadly, $100 is the most nVidia can ask for when it comes to the GTX260, what with the $130 Radeon 5750 being faster and the $180 Radeon 5770 being a bit faster than the GTX275 (all this according to preliminary reports). I bet nVidia feels stoopid for pull PhysX support for their cards if an ATI card is doing the graphics. Some of us recent 5870/5850 owners would of hoped on a GTX260 for physics alone....Nothing like a company shotgunning off it's nose to spite it's face. Let's just hope this gets nVidia to officially allow Nvidia PhysX while using an ATI card to render....Yay nVidia becomes a physics card company! Ageia LIVES!!!

Why has this thread not been viciously attacked yet?!??!! Where are all the fanbois?:confused:

It'd make sense if the GTX285, 275, and 260 are too expensive to sell at a profit at the given price point that they would be competitive.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally I would have thought moving the 200 series proper to 40nm would have reduced costs enough to make it competative.

Hell, seeing as how there are rumours the new card won't be dx11 compliant it wouldn't really make them out of place if rebranded.

LOL. Sorry but this article rings too much of "the sky is falling" for me to take it seriously. I know that Nvidia is being seriously pressured by the 5800 series and the upcoming 5700 series but it's hard to believe they would just throw in the towel so soon. I'll believe it when I see it. A few healthy price cuts on their currently overpriced lineup and Nvidia will be selling cards again. Though possibly at a loss, it's better than selling nothing. Isn't it?

I had to look at my calendar and make sure it wasn't April... lol. Right about the ads tho.

More like "Nvidia stops production of its mid and high end parts until their Fermi replacements arrive". Who knows. . . it's possible.

Anyone else find it ironic that it's written on a website called "semi-accurate?"

This makes since though if you think about it. The 2xx series chip was huge and cost a lot of money to make. With ATI's new cards out the price would just not make since for nvidia to keep making them. Nvidia would take a huge loss if they decided to keep making them until they got their gt300 out. If they don't release the gt300 until late q1 or q2, they would just be shooting them self in the foot by supporting the high end chips for that long at a midrange card price.

The very reason why we have progressed so far in videocard graphics technology is at risk here. If you want to see faster iterations of more powerful, more innovative videocards, you DO NOT want either nvidia or ati leaving the game. This doesn't hurt any one else but us, the consumer....

This sucks. If this is even slightly true, mainstream PC gaming is headed to the toilet.

For all the insane bull shit in that article, Charlie surprisingly brings up some good points. Its not secret that the 512 and 448 bit buses are insanely expensive. The 5800 cards have hit Nvidia hard I honestly don't think they expected them to be so good, no one really did. If these cards are any indication the 5700s will be very good as well and further hurt NV's cards. It isn't as doom and gloom as he makes it seem though, NV has huge deals with OEMs and other groups that buy their products. Not to mention the Quadro cards that are used in a number of environments. They will be hurting if they have to lower their prices as much as Charlie is saying, but they will have to weather the storm and hope to come back strong when the Fermi launches. The raw power/high cost approach has come back to bite Nvidia in the ass, they'll just have to learn from it and adapt.

Wait, so one second Charlie is saying the shortage rumors are FUD from Nvidia to sell-through stock before a price drop, and now he's saying they are killing the cards for real? He should at least learn to keep his spin consistent. Whatever the grains of truth in these stories are, it's obvious by now that Charlie will always blow it so far out of proportion that it's not worth taking seriously.

Back