Should you upgrade to a 5870? Mini review inside

Coaxial

Gawd
Let me preface this by first saying I'm doing this from my phone at work (it's a slow day) so sorry for any typos and such.

So I recently upgraded to an ASUS 5870 from an eVGA gtx 260 core 216 superclocked. Was it worth it? The answer isn't so simple. See the 5870 isn't a bad card, in fact it's quite the opposite with absolutely killer performance in a (relatively) small power envelope.

Looks
The ASUS card is quite simply the best looking video card I've ever owned. The simplicity, lack of sticker, and the fact that the back of the card is covered truly make it a beautiful card. It's long (you knew that already) but it's really not that much longer than my 260 was. I had no problems fitting it in my case (Lian-Li P50).

Heat
I haven't monitored this a ton as things seem to be under control and I have adequate airflow in my case with two nice exhaust fans at the top so the card is ridiculously cool at idle (30 or 40 degrees I beleive, not sure the exact number off the top of my head.) There is a very small vent in the back for heat to exhaust but it seems like a lot of it goes right into your case. During heavy gaming it seems to max around 76 degrees and under furmark burning it hits about 86 degrees. Depending on your case I would go so far as to say that if you don't have great airflow this may cause some big heat problems for other components, or even the card itself as I've read the core will throttle at 95 degrees. Fortunately for me I'm in good shape.

Noise
Honestly my opinion of the noise on this thing is different from all the reviews I've read. This card isn't any louder than anything in my case at idle so for all intents and purposes it's silent. During heavy gaming after about 10 mins or so I can hear it kick on a little bit but it's very quiet and not annoying at all. Furmark gets it going a little bit more but still not noisy. However; setting the fan to manual gives you the full picture. It seems like idle the fan hovers in the mid 20% range. On furmark it gets to low 30s, but manually once you get to 40% it gets noisy. Going to 50% it's noisier than I'd ever want it to get to. From then on it just starts getting ridiculous, at 100% I'd call it about the same volume as a hair dryer.

Performance
Here comes the big question...how does this thing perform? The answer is absolutely great. Framerates seem to be very smooth with no big sudden framerate drops that I've seen on almost every other video card I've had. Now I play at 1920x1080 so your results may vary. You can pretty much play anything out there at max settings with full AF and typically full AA (the exception being crysis). But here's where the problem comes in:

You've probably been able to do this already (Crysis excluded, resolution depending.)

See I've been running basically the same settings on every game with my gtx 260, the only difference is that I'd probably be at 4xAA instead of 8x. My framerates would be say 60fps instead of 80 with the 5870. Yes it's nice to run the whole shabang of settings and this card has every bit of performance you'd expect, but is it really worth upgrading to?

That's where the answer isn't so cut and dry. If you've got money lying around then hell yes. If you game on a 30" then the answer is absolutely. But if you're on the fence, and have a 200 series or better, or a 4870 or better with anything less than a 24" monitor; then you may want to reconsider. Those cards are plenty fast and chances are you're pretty happy with what you have.

Just some food for thought. However with all that said; I am more than happy with my purchase and will likely be for some time to come. Nothin better than new hardware.

[H] forever
mrrogers747

Last edited:
not factoring in the eyefinity at all... that is the reason i think people are gigging about the new cards from amd

not so much the performance increase from say a 285 or a 4890 - i mean i have a 260 and im not upgrading just to move a few sliders

i can already game at my native - with the goodies up

but the whole multimonitor gaming aspect...

ive been skeptical because of the thick bezels between monitors - but ive seen it live and in person and its the real deal

im personally waiting to see what samsung brings to the table as far as monitors go....

but eyefinity is the big whamma jamma when it comes to if or not you should look to the 5800 series if you're already running a gtx260 or better

not factoring in the eyefinity at all... that is the reason i think people are gigging about the new cards from amd

not so much the performance increase from say a 285 or a 4890 - i mean i have a 260 and im not upgrading just to move a few sliders

i can already game at my native - with the goodies up

but the whole multimonitor gaming aspect...

ive been skeptical because of the thick bezels between monitors - but ive seen it live and in person and its the real deal

im personally waiting to see what samsung brings to the table as far as monitors go....

but eyefinity is the big whamma jamma when it comes to if or not you should look to the 5800 series if you're already running a gtx260 or better

This is very true. Eyefinity alone IS the reason a lot of people are upgrading. However I'm sure that most people don't have the cash for 3 monitors, I don't even have the desk space :(

I have 2 monitors already, I won't be able to get another until xmas, but I bought a 5870 to game over my 2 existing monitors. My 4850 was more than sufficient, but multimonitor gaming is just so cool, I had to get one.

Me as well. I'm waiting to see if a nice PC monitor version of the LED TVs comes to market. My buddy's LED TV has a definitively better picture than my dad's LCD.

I'm doomed to wait until spring for anything new, though -_-

Nice review, my thoughts are pretty much right on with yours. Crysis and Stalker:CS were really the only two games that REALLY benefited from the card and I only had a 4850 before. Both of those games were pretty much unplayable on my 4850 at 19x12 without reducing IQ significantly and at that point it was no fun. With this card, I can max out Crysis and even slap 2xAA on there and frame rates are always playable.

As far as temps, i think the card itself would be fine even in a case without "great" airflow. The card might throttle at 95C but the fan still has plenty of RPM's to spare to keep it from getting there.

I agree with you on the aesthetics as well, it's a nice card to look at. Especially when it's right in the middle of your case with two PCIe umbilical cords feeding it.

Average monitor with "high" digital contrast +TN panel good unit? don't think so. Anyway @ OP gratz on your card can't wait to get my 5870s ;)

Umm its not a average monitor it has a LED backlight .. so I'm pretty sure it could reach a much lower level of black than a CCFL (regardless of the digital contrast). Just about every monitor (gaming or otherwise) is TN panel based these days .. unless you work in photoshop it doesn't matter worth a crap anymore like it use to.

Umm its not a average monitor it has a LED backlight .. so I'm pretty sure it could reach a much lower level of black than a CCFL (regardless of the digital contrast). Just about every monitor (gaming or otherwise) is TN panel based these days .. unless you work in photoshop it doesn't matter worth a crap anymore like it use to.

You mean every cheap monitor, no? PVA/IPS monitors are not to be found @ Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot/Max, etc ... you go online or to very reputable B&M retailers like B&H for that kind of monitor ... and no, not all of us can put up w/TN. I tried, and failed :p

You mean every cheap monitor, no? PVA/IPS monitors are not to be found @ Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot/Max, etc ... you go online or to very reputable B&M retailers like B&H for that kind of monitor ... and no, not all of us can put up w/TN. I tried, and failed :p

TNs have improved alot, PVA/IPS might just boost some self-esteem for some erectile dysfunctioner in addition to a little bit more viewing angle. :p

TNs have improved alot, PVA/IPS might just boost some self-esteem for some erectile dysfunctioner in addition to a little bit more viewing angle. :p

Oh, it's not that TNs are the scum of the earth or anything ... when I got what was considered a great TN gaming monitor (LG W2252TQ) around 2 years ago, I was a happy camper (headshot wise :p). But once I started reading up on PVA/IPS monitors and started comparing them to TNs, it was a no-brainer. I'd rather put up with being headshot, than getting inaccurate colors, all the more so because I do a good amount of my work online, and play WoW a good deal as well.

And yes, there are some decent TN's out there -- on Anandtech's LCD thread, it mentions about some kind of improvement on certain TN panels over the last few years. Certainly my W2252TQ was a lot better than my old Samsung Syncmaster 192n.

Hopefully this recent trend of "affordable" IPS monitors (like the ones Dell, Viewsonic, and NEC are putting out) will offer a viable alternative to TN panels, price-wise. But to each his own :)

See I've been running basically the same settings on every game with my gtx 260, the only difference is that I'd probably be at 4xAA instead of 8x. My framerates would be say 60fps instead of 80 with the 5870. Yes it's nice to run the whole shabang of settings and this card has every bit of performance you'd expect, but is it really worth upgrading to?
Truth! Will the eyes really notice any difference? Or is it a numbers game for most?

Truth! Will the eyes really notice any difference? Or is it a numbers game for most?

Minimum fps on alot of the modern games is what bugs me, so I think to some extent its worth it to keep the min fps above 40, if you have the extra cash. Last gen was more than enough to get satisfactory average fps with current games but if you were playing something recent and graphically intensive with the settings turned up, you'd probably dip into the teens once in awhile, and usually when the action is happening. That's probably enough to get some of the people around here to think about upgrading.

Of course this is excluding people like me who skipped last gen and are still running their 8800gt(x). If we want to upgrade at this point, it's a question of whether we have enough money to feel fairly secure about being able to play whatever comes out in the next year or so with the settings up there. Not to mention playing current games as well as they can be played. I know you can't really future proof but there is some benifit to getting in at the early end of the next gen cards.

Exactly my instinct. My largest display in the near future would be 24 inch, so this is just gonna drive down prices in my range. And to those rambling about "eyefinity lolol," err....That's just like large resolution times a billion. If you were gonna use it to game anyway, you'd have to use three 5870s in crossfire!

What mattered to me is the game I play the most...Age of Conan. And for the price, the smoothness of the game, the new visual quality (I was able to go Edge Detect 24X AA and SuperSample and get the same framerates as my 4890 at 4x AA)...I think it is the right choice if you also have the right CPU for certain games.
Age of Conan was truly limited on the 4890 with an i5-750. After I bought the 5870, I transferred the 4890 to a Dual Core e8400 OC'd sitting next to the 5870. I can get anywhere between 10-30FPS better performance in some spots in AoC with the 24x AA and the 5870 than it does at 4x on the 4890 (or even 2x at times).
So, it all boils down to what you really want.

Less heat, less power, overall better performance and visual quality.

I am SOOOO glad I bought it.

I bought the 5870 on launch day, and I agree completely. Vastly underrated card.

No noise, hardly any heat it seems at least. The card looks amazing, best card I've looked at and put my hands on. I really appreciate how quiet it is (low idle power doesn't hurt).

I created 3 multimonitor profiles for my use.
1- Dual LCD display
2- One LCD and my Samsung plasma
3- One LCD and my Samsung plasma in duplicate mode

The ATI drivers automatically route the audio to the HDMI output when I switch to that profile. Then when I switch back, it reroutes to the PC audio. It's as slick as can be.

I bought a new Asus lcd just to match the 5870. My main motivation though wasn't Eyefinity like it is for many, or DX11 or the speed, but the HDMI output and native sound processing.
Simply amazing card all around, they didn't get anything wrong, at all. This is an Nvidia fanboys worst nightmare.

This card is beyond the 9700 and the 8800GTX for being an engineering and overall product accomplishment. Best video card that has ever been released. People try to deny that today, but time will show. The price is even reasonable.
It will be a decade before the overall slick package this card presents will be trumped. If ever. This from someone who started with a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo1. I've seen and owned, them all.

Hehe gratz on your card man ;) really looking forward to my 5870s alltought crossfire scaling bothers me, Atm its kinda low in Crysis for e.g with second 5870 you got only 40% boost thats really low.Hope Ati will fix this soon.

Back