Samsung 305T flashing colors - Please HELP!

RecessTime

n00b
I just got a new computer with the following specs and when I connect it to my Samsung 305T 30" screen, I just get a flashing screen with different colors flashing in order.... Is this a monitor issue or a computer issue? Do I need to go through some normal computer setup process before I use my 30" screen? Please help!

HP Pavilion p6180t customizable Desktop PC
• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q8300 [2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]
• 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R)
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
• No speakers
• HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
• No additional security software
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Are you sure you are using a dual link DVI cable? HP may have mistakenly supplied you with a single link cable.

It's a signal issue, make sure you are using the cable that came with the monitor, or find a Dual-link DVI cable.

A similar thing just started happening with my Samsung 305T monitor. The screen has some very fine horizontal red lines ( a bunch) on the left hand side. Dark on that side as well. Right side is okay. I've had it since Aug 21, 2007. It did this once before; about 8 mos to a year ago. Can't remember how I fixed it (or did I ?). Anybody else having the same problem ?

Not the cable; it's dual DVI ( is DL-DVI-D.. has all the pins, not that void in the middle, with a single flat pin on one side) plus I'm using the same cable on the same computer as I write this on a Samsung 19" monitor.

Also plugged in that 305T monitor on another computer and the same problem exists. So it's got to be the monitor. Is there a fix for this ? UGGGHHHH.. I hope I don't have to send this back; now that I've Googled the problem, seems to be a nightmare waiting to happen.

Last edited:
The OP has a different problem that sounds like he is not using the correct cable.
It has to be Dual Link type cable or it wont work right.

The OP has a different problem that sounds like he is not using the correct cable.
It has to be Dual Link type cable or it wont work right.

Agreed... The Samsung Support Site has this simple procedure specifically for the 305T called "Monitor Self Test" which proved to me it's my monitor, not the cable. Good news is that this product has 3 years parts and labor so I can now begin the "3 to 4 month" adventure of getting a refurb; according to posts I've seen @ Google.

Last edited:
I wanted to follow up on this, I got a replacement monitor and all is well now. Below is some helpful information to those who might need it:

Use the "self test" in my previous post to make sure it's the monitor; keep in mind the USB cable must be plugged in and operational, and of course your DVI cable must be working. You might test the unit on another computer just to make sure before sending.

Age of my unit: 2 years 6 mos.
Purchased from: NewEgg (which sent Samsung all my info; they merely looked it up)
Number to call for prepaid UPS sticker: 800-522-7341 (have serial AND model number ready)

Sticker is emailed to you; make sure it doesn't fall into Junk mail. Take pictures of the unit with serial and model number sticker. Packing the unit is everything; Samsung has this thing about getting "damaged" monitors and not willing to fix them. I found a box from a neighbor's Visio television and put the monitor in there with some throw pillows left here by the ex-wife. (heh.. sry honey)

Take screen shots of what's wrong with your monitor and print (in color)/tape them onto the unit itself (which I had wrapped in plastic). I also wrote/printed out a "history" of the problems I experienced.

You will (most likely) get a phone call saying the unit cannot be repaired, and "would you like a refurbished (same) model ?" Yes. The refurb I received has a newer (lighter) screen with zero dead pixels and works great.

Be courteous to the ppl you speak to; it's not their fault that your unit doesn't work. Each person I spoke to at the above number was extremely helpful. Everything they told me they would do, they did, and in the time promised in our conversations.

Total time of replacement from first phone convo to receiving replacement unit: 23 days.

Very satisfied, and will purchase from Samsung again.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Just another update that I thought I would add to this thread.

I have noticed that there is a person on eBay now selling his services to "fix" your 305t for you. From what I understand his services involve putting a heatsink (or two) on the power board of the monitor. It seems to me that all of these problems are caused by the powerboard on the monitor overheating and frying a component.

If anyone is still reading this and has their monitor out of warranty I would suggest adding a small fan to the area where the powerboard is located on the monitor.

I just ordered a refurbished model off ebay (so no warranty for me) and I will be attempting to place a small fan over the powerboard when I receive the unit (I might put a few larger heatsinks on the board as well) and will try to post a few pics of the process as well.

Just try to keep the powerboard cool everyone and the monitor should have no problems.

I think you're right.. That unit ran HOT the whole time I had it. I'm very interested to know how (and where) one might locate a fan to help cool the unit. If you could please post some directions, or pics maybe, that would be awesome !

I think you're right.. That unit ran HOT the whole time I had it. I'm very interested to know how (and where) one might locate a fan to help cool the unit. If you could please post some directions, or pics maybe, that would be awesome !
Go to ebay and type in USB fan, then sort your results by "price" and then select the "Buy It Now" tab to see what's on sale (and to weed out the auctions).

You'll find tons of USB fans there for dirt cheap, try to get one without LED lights. You would place it behind your monitor and plug it into the monitor's USB port. The only problem is that certain smaller fans will make an audible "whoosh" noise.

You can also make your own by sacrificing a USB cable and whatever PC fan, you would have to use the correct two wires inside the USB cable (for me it was the red and black wires). <-- Using the right fan would make it pretty darn silent running on 5v USB power, keep in mind that some fans may not spin up on 5v.

I use them on two of my current LCD monitors, don't necessarily need them but figured they may increase lifespan.

sorry for reviving an ancient thread - good reason though methinks. I have just had my 305t repaired, T-CON board replaced, after having the monitor sitting in the corner for 18months. The monitor works perfectly, T-CON boards are cheap now AUS$139.00 I paid Samsung here in Melb. Was wondering how other peeps repairs have stood up to time, trying to get an idea how long this 'fix' will last for. I havent added heatsinks, fans or any other cooling - am relying on this cold room, it is still Winter here..SO How are your 305Ts?????

Baked mine in the oven for 8 minutes, remounted it with the back off, cut the RF shielding away, put an old Northbridge heatsink on the scaler chip with thermal tape, and wired up a 80mm fan to a USB port and mounted it to blow sideways (to avoid being a heat trap if it seizes). That was 18 months ago and it is working perfectly. With the changes I made the entire back of the monitor (including the heatsink) doesn't even reach body temperature upon touch, although I admit I almost never use any resolution other than 2560x1600 so the scaler isn't being put under any sort of load most of the time. Even so, the back of the monitor used to get very hot even in native resolution so I know it is helping. I don't think it is bad soldering that is causing the failures, I think the thermal limits are being exceeded. Anyone take a look at the TIM between the scaler chip and the RF shield? It is nearly an inch thick, easily the thickest TIM I had ever heard of let alone handled. No way it is conductive enough for that scaler - they should have put a block of aluminium between the scaler and the RF shield instead, but I'm sure it would have heated the metal shield almost to the point of melting the plastic cover.

I wouldn't depend on a cold room if I were you - I live in Canada and my monitor blew up in January. It would be wise to be proactive as sooner or later the scaler boards will not be available and then you are stuck. How hot does the back of your monitor get with your new board?

If you want some ideas on how to keep the monitor cool without the ghetto look mine has, check this pages out:

http://www.theneighborhoodnerd.net/samsung-305t-xhd3000-video-repair/

I have a SyncMaster 305t: never a problem.
I also have the newer SyncMaster 305t plus that turned flickering...

My approach:

1)
Used Panasonic capacitors to replaced the powersupply capacitors of brand Samyoung (threw them away) and two of brand Rubycon (kept for future use).
The effect: after powering the monitor, the screen stopped flickering after 10 minutes and started again after three hours.
An improvement but not satisfactory.

2)
Used an old CPU cooling block to passively cool the Altera Hardcopy chip.
The effect: the 10 minutes initial flickering turned to an infinite flickering.
This was worse than before. But at least I got confirmation that the Altera chip was to blame.

3)
Added a fan to cool the Altera chip and the rest of the chips.
The effect, as expected, no improvement: continuous flickering.

4)
Used a "Stop-End"
I used sandpaper to smooth the surface of the "Stop-End".
I used my soldering iron with temperature control set at 230 Celcius and some solder in the "Stop-End" to pre-heat the "Stop-End".
Then I placed the "Stop-End" on top of the Altera chip for 4 minutes.
The effect: No flickering! PROBLEM SOLVED!
S%201206.f.png

I purchased a Samsung 305T and a 305TPlus from someone on Kijiji on Monday for $300, both not working (as advertised). Checked them out - the 305T has a bad scaler, which I fixed with the oven bake method. The other one has a bad power supply, specifically the main power capacitor failed (which is unusual) and a blown smaller capacitor (which blew out at the bottom instead of the top, again unusual). Swapped parts around to validate all the other hardware (screen, input PCB, etc.) and they are fine - no dead pixels or spots on the screen. I have removed the backs, installed USB-powered 60mm fans and on the scaler that failed I have cut away the RF shield and attached an old Northbridge heatsink with thermal tape. The annoying thing with the USB hub of the 305T is that it is unpowered so I have to hook up the USB hub to another working USB port to provide power - the Gateway XHD3000 which is a similar monitor (same size and scaler) has a powered hub so such shenanigans are unnecessary. I'll have to set up a separate powered USB hub for the fans connected to the same power bar as the 305T/305TPlus so that when I turn off the monitors it also turns off the fans. Removing the bad capacitors from the power supply is simple enough and I ordered a complete capacitor replacement kit online (including the power capacitor) for $30. Add in about $15 for a soldering iron (my old one died) and some solder wick and my total cash investment to get 2 30" monitors working is $345.

My only concern now is that apparently scaler boards are no longer in production so keeping these working may be a challenge. My Gateway XHD3000 has been working for 2 years now after oven baking the scaler board and attaching a heatsink and fan without any problems at all so I'm crossing my fingers. At the very least I now have enough parts to keep at least one 30" monitor working for a long long time, hopefully by the time they all blow out 30" monitors will be $300 each.

Last edited:
Back