Unable to play HDCP-protected content on Windows 7

F3lch_

n00b
Here's my situation:
When I try to watch a Bluray movie on my computer I get error message
CyberLink PowerDVD is not able to play the protected content on your digital output device. Switch to analog output (VGA, D-Sub) and try again. - (Error Code = 0110). Run the BD/HD Advisor tool for more information.
When I run the advisor, I get a green light next to every option except for Video Connection Type, it says "Digital (without HDCP)".

I did a bit of Binging on this and the only useful information I found was one website indicating the difference between DVI-D, DVI-I, and DVI-A cables, and saying that only the DVI-D would function properly. I checked, and I am in fact using a DVI-D cable. Up until yesterday I was using Windows Vista, I had the exact same issue so as a workaround I ended up using Slysoft AnyDVD HD to simply disable HDCP protection, but that didn't have a 100% success rate (I still encountered a few movies it couldn't decrypt, thus I wasted $6 renting them). When I upgraded to Windows 7 I found out that if I install AnyDVD my machine won't boot up. I go into safe mode and uninstall the software, reboot, Windows works fine. That's why I'm now trying to just get it all to work legitimately.

Here's my setup:
-Dell 3008WFP 30" monitor. It is HDCP compliant according to http://t i n y u r l.com/8afk3
-Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX. It is HDCP compliant according to http://t i n y u r l.com//4m93p5
-6 foot dual link DVI-D cable from PC to monitor, came bundled with the monitor from Dell.
-Cyberlink Power DVD 9
-Windows 7 Ultimate
-LG Super Multi Blue GGC-H20L BD-ROM drive (reads HD/BD discs, read/write DVD/CD)

Here's what I've tried:
-Changing resolutions, I've tried everything from 2560x1600 to 1280x800.
-Upgraded from Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 to PowerDVD 9
-Changed DVI ports on my video card
-Verifying my Bluray drive has the latest firmware installed

Based on everything I've ever read, the 4 things required for HD playback are an HDCP compliant monitor, video card, operating system, and connection cables, all of which I have. (In fact I purchased this monitor specifically because I wanted Bluray playback).

At this point I'm at a loss, and I really want to watch High School Musical. :( Got any ideas?

Last edited:
Get AnyDVD HD and never have another problem, period.

/thread

This. If I remember correctly your moniter has crappy support for HDCP, meaning that it doens't work half the time because of how large it is (HDCP is only supported at 1920x1080 on it). Something like that.

There was some issue with 8800GTX cards doing HDCP over single link DVI ok, but not dual link.
As you are running a 30" screen, you will be using dual link sadly.
You can reduce the resolution to 1080p or less, that may work.

LOL, apparently the [H]arder you are the harder it is to read the entire OP being mashing that reply button...

There was some issue with 8800GTX cards doing HDCP over single link DVI ok, but not dual link.
As you are running a 30" screen, you will be using dual link sadly.
You can reduce the resolution to 1080p or less, that may work.

Hahaha, wow... this is the part where I feel kind of dumb. I just tried switching to 1920x1080, launch PowerDVD, bam. Works great. So I guess it's the HDCP over dual link thing. I'm curious why it didn't work when I tried that yesterday, but whatever I'm not going to complain. If it works now it works.:D

Last edited:
Back