League Of Legends

rgratto2

2[H]4U
The NDA for the beta has been removed except for media.

Anyone else playing this? My friends and I have been really enjoying it. Being a long long time former dota player, this game is great and has a lot of tweaks to the formula and solutions for those problem areas of dota.

Having played Dota, HoN (just a little, did not like Dota 2.0), Demigod and LoL, I like LoL the most. For still being in beta, LoL just feels really polished. Sure, there are some hero imbalances but those are forgivable for now - the interface is great.

There is a PvP.net client that does all the matchmaking (as well as hero loadout stuff) and then launches the actual game. Its all really slick and seamless, and coming to the windows desktop between games is a really great idea. Also, I've very rarely waited more than 2 minutes for a game to be matched, which is amazing considering that its a beta.

Update: Great article about LoL:
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=19560

Last edited:
I have been playing LoL beta and I am enjoying it for what it is. Make no mistake about it though, this game is DotA. Persistent stats (masteries), runes, and spells are really the only new things. The game lacks any sort of auto-balancer skill matchmaking system, unlike HoN, so its not uncommon to get rolled.

By far my biggest complaint, and this is something that HoN also sufferes from, is to over-usage of the word 'own' and its variants. It is time to retire this word in PC gaming imo. Every 10 seconds you hear "own, ownage, owning" blah blah. You can not turn off the commentator without completely turning off the sound. The announcer needs more variety in his commentary.

Playing all three (owning Demigod and HoN) as well as beta testing LoL, I just did not get into LoL, no creep denying etc and I didn't like the direction it took graphically. I felt the game was a bit bland compared to the other two... I like denying haha. Demigod doesn't have denying but it is pretty refreshing when playing it, they just need more Demigods =/

Playing all three (owning Demigod and HoN) as well as beta testing LoL, I just did not get into LoL, no creep denying etc and I didn't like the direction it took graphically. I felt the game was a bit bland compared to the other two... I like denying haha.

I don't like HoN because it is literally just Dota. LoL has a lot of interesting tweaks and refocused gameplay. There is a ton of info on their boards regarding why they don't want denying in the game. Its interesting stuff to read, I was checking some of it out yesterday. They've discussed how they wanted to remove certain elements from dota that they just don't think are fun and refocus the gameplay on those that are.

For instance, instead of denying and lane control via last hitting so much, spell cooldowns in LoL are generally much smaller and their mana costs are lower so that you can focus more on spamming/farming with them. It makes sense, because you're still actively laning but doing so in a different manner. Yes, it does make it a bit easier for those who are new at the game, but there is still the separation between "noobs" and "pros" with the good harassing skills.

A part of me likes denying as well, but I definitely see the reason why they opted to remove it from LoL, and I respect it. The game has more of a unique feel for it. In general, I like how they've tried to intensify the gameplay. One big way that theyve done this is by giving every hero the ability to TP to base (channeling spell for i think 7 seconds, any dmg breaks the channeling).

This works really well in my opinion because instead of having to run all the way to base and back to get items, you have your trip reduced at least 50%. Running around the map is one of the most boring parts of these game types, so reducing that aspect is great.

Demigod doesn't have denying but it is pretty refreshing when playing it, they just need more Demigods =/

More DGs, more Maps, more stability, more development period. I am a patient man but 4-5 months for the 2 new promised demigods? C'mon! I feel like they've already lost a large part of their community (including me) because of their slow development cycles. It doesnt even compare to LoL that gets LARGE weekly updates.

I really like a lot of aspects about Demigod (citadel upgrades, less hero-killing intensive), but I just don't see it being a viable option going forward with its current developers. Mod support MIGHT help, but that will probably just split hte community between those that have certain mods and those that don't.

The network code is so hacked together. I respect stardock for being able to rewrite all of the net code in basically a month, but its a huge shame that it had to happen. Since it was developed the way that it was, I don't expect ot see much or any optimization in the future for it either. Sure, it works, but the fact that many people's machines/connections can't handle games larger than 4v4 or sometimes even 3v3 is a real shame. I don't have the issue, but its hard to impossible to find others that don't.

Since playing LoL, I have completely abandoned DG.

I play league of legends (not too often), same name as this one, I also have 0 more invites available so if anyone wants a key just pm me with email.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Cannondub's post is right on the money....

Three people sent me pm's and I gave them to each of you, hopefully I you will get them soon.

They have said they are trying to redo the voice commentary, im not sure if that has been done yet. Probably not.

Downloading now. Hopefully will get some time to play this weekend... very excited.

I've been playing HoN for almost 2 weeks now and it's definitely getting 99% of my play time, but LoL looks like I might enjoy it just as much. The art direction irks me somewhat but not being a DotA vet I can see LoL being alot easier to get into than HoN is.

<---- Send me a beta invite!

I really enjoy LoL. I don't think the reasoning behind lack of denying is not to make it easier for players, but to shorten the length of the rounds. They are aiming for ~30 min rounds. The faster pace is geared for tournaments and spectating. The game is balanced around the top players' opinions rather than beginners'.

The owned commentating is just a place holder until they get to it on their priority list. The devs also mentioned that they would make a volume control for the announcer. There's a discussion thread about this stuff and some other suggestions. If you have a beta key, post your opinion about the commentary on the beta boards because the devs are really active in the threads.

I have a few keys to give out. PM me your email address. If you'd like you can add me in game under BL4zD

So I have been playing this a lot more since my last post, and I enjoy it even more. Matches are quick, prone to "tide-turning" moments, and most importantly, fun. I loved DotA for a long time, and it's nice to play a 'better' version of it. I came across an interesting article on 1up.com that compares/contrasts LoL and HoN. Having played both, I think it is pretty spot on. Both betas are really easy to get in on, so I highly recommend both.

watch out for my wuju style

I haven't played Dota at all (mainly because I was always kicked for downloading the map lol), but I have played HoN a bunch and now I play only LoL, once in a while.
I'd play it alot more if my friends had keys, but I haven't had any invites yet.

I like LoL alot more than HoN. The wacky graphics, the novelty summoner system insted of hard cold rankings, the town portal spell.

Most of all, I get to enjoy myself every game.
If I want a casual game, to test a hero I havent tried for example, I can just pick a practice game. If I take a ranked game and lose, it was my own choice.
HoN has the lamest community Ive seen, PSR balancing makes no sense with new dota vets joining all the time, you get booted alot from games from being 'noob', and you generally have to put up with a ton of verbal abuse and even threats if you dont play like a pro ingame. I think it will probably get better in the retail game though, with PSR meaning something and with the matchmaking button working
I like not being able to deny creeps, its not logical killing your own men, and I dont like being target practice when, in HoN, im melee and try to do it vs a ranged hero. Personal preference.
When you die, your opponent gets money but you dont lose any. I dont like the HoN system, cause I feel that dying raises the odds too much for the killer.

I have around 10 keys, PM me if you want one, I don't need your email.

EDIT: Gone for now, will post if I get more.

Last edited:
I got the game updated last night, but didn't have time to join a game. Is there any way to create one on my own so I can mess around with the heroes and learn the flow without messing up whatever team I get put on?

[L]imey;1034599894 said:
I got the game updated last night, but didn't have time to join a game. Is there any way to create one on my own so I can mess around with the heroes and learn the flow without messing up whatever team I get put on?

Just set up a practice game. You can throw in some AI as well. (Play>Practice Game)

Ah so there is computer AI to join you... perfect. I'll try to rock a game tonight before I have to head to my class.

Thanks Cannon

Anyone with beta keys. I been playing HoN and enjoy it. I want to check this one out and see where my money goes.

I could use a beta key if anyone still has any to give. Haven't heard anything about this game, but I used to be a pretty big dota fan.

I'd like to try this game, if anyone has an extra beta key, id appreciate it... tyia

I have been playing LoL beta and I am enjoying it for what it is. Make no mistake about it though, this game is DotA. Persistent stats (masteries), runes, and spells are really the only new things. The game lacks any sort of auto-balancer skill matchmaking system, unlike HoN, so its not uncommon to get rolled.

I don't know about that The match making auto balance is decent, but more often then not it's a steam roll. The PR score needs to also change based on number of games your K:D ratio. Then i think it would be a lot better.

But the community for HoN is terrible. I can't tell you how many times I get yelled at for not knowing the game like the back of my hand, when I'm playing a BETA game, with n00b in the title of the game! It's great that these people exist and let someone who hasn't played a DotA game ever actually play the game.

I do like the game style though so if LoL has a nicer communitity and you have another beta key sign me up please!

-I have 2 keys for HoN first 2 PM requests will get them.

I agree that the HoN community is among the most terrible I've encountered but I think the game has more depth to it. I've also not gotten in much time in LoL yet so that may be premature to say.

As far as the game itself goes I enjoy LoL but I don't think it would take time away from HoN except for to play with friends that don't play enough to really play HoN well. But that may very well be the key to it's success, it is definitely ALOT friendlier to new players, I was overjoyed at the guided item buying which saved me headaches and TONS of time from when I began HoN/DotA.

I tried this briefly over the weekend. I&#8217;m probably biased coming from some 120 some games played in HoN, but I didn&#8217;t like the art style at all. It was too cartoony for me, with garish colors. The animation didn&#8217;t seem as smooth as HoN either. The &#8216;owned&#8217; bugged me too, but that&#8217;s probably a placeholder like someone said. I&#8217;m not great at denying or anything, but it does add another dimension in skill. If you are much better at it than your opponents, you will out-level them fairly quickly. I can see why LoL wanted to leave it out, but I am used to it now I suppose. I guess I&#8217;ll put up with the mostly awful community in HoN for now, and hope that things get better at release with the influx of new players

I have a few keys. I play the game everyday I would recommend it. Just really unbalanced as of right now.

If u want a key pm me with your email.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate on that? I have played roughly some 100 games and would tend to disagree for the most part (with a few exceptions of course).

Well. Some heroes are kind of overpowered at the moment ( can take out 3-5 heroes alone if used right). Riot does a good job of trying to fix them, However they tend to fix one and break the other.

The most broken thing for me right now is the matchmaking It is really not fair sometime when you are put up vs Noobs or a lvl 30 is paired with 4 lvl 1 to 10's (happens to me all the time :( ). I mean I don't mind helping people out but I also don't like to get rolled because of it.

It is still in beta so things will change.

Wait... what? 1 hero cannot take out 3-5 heroes unless those players were really really terrible. I think you are playing with too many newbs and not enough games with good premades. Go on the LoL Beta Ventrilo server and make a premade with people who actually have teamwork. You will see a whole new level of play when you have real-time communication with your teammates.

I guess I just kind of assumed this had in-game voip since wow and hon both have it. I don't use it, but it's nice to have in-game, I can't see myself joining a mass vent server to find pugs to play with.

Well. Some heroes are kind of overpowered at the moment ( can take out 3-5 heroes alone if used right). Riot does a good job of trying to fix them, However they tend to fix one and break the other.

The only hero that I can think of that you could possibly mean right now is Ryze. His ult is retarded right now, and I am hoping that they are going to change it a bit. That said, it is easy to counter if you see it coming, since it involves him getting close to/isolating you.

The most broken thing for me right now is the matchmaking It is really not fair sometime when you are put up vs Noobs or a lvl 30 is paired with 4 lvl 1 to 10's (happens to me all the time :( ). I mean I don't mind helping people out but I also don't like to get rolled because of it.

It is still in beta so things will change.

Ya, the matchmaking isnt great right now in terms of matching by skill, but I don't think that is what they've focused on yet at all. You have to consider, being lvl30 in the game really doesnt mean much in the beta, because the rate of gaining experience is really high right now (a new level every 1-2 games). I am almost positive that it will be greatly altered come release time.

LoL is lol

seriously its a joke

Very insightful, thanks for contributing troll.

Back