NEC SpectraView 2490WUXi2 first impressions...

Luke Sena

n00b
Hi All,

Since it seems nobody has actually reported on the performance of the farily new NEC 2490WUXi2, just thought I'd share my first impressions, although VERY early impressions on the European SpectraView model (after reviewing a 2090UXi PE and the original 2490WUXi):

- The new panel by LG.Display is a new generation "eH-IPS A" without the much touted "Advanced - True Wide / A-TW" polarizer that is used in the LM240WU2 of the 2490WUXi; as a result, the backlight bleed and glow are quite noticeable on dark images in the corners when viewing centered and at a normal distance. The glow can be probably compared to that of the HP 2475W.

- The lack of polarizer and/or the new pixel structure in the new panel (I'm making an assumption here), does not only affect shadow performance but also brightness evenness from wide viewing angles, especially vertically, leading me to say this is the poorest performing panel I have yet seen in the IPS category in this regard. Looking at an image from an extreme angle from below (which is not very normal anyway) it almost resembles a TN panel (exaggerating a little, of course) and it is, for instance, much worse than the 2080UXi that I have at my office. On the other hand, the 2090 and "old" 2490 are absolutely stellar: the image stability in color, contrast and brightness is as good as you'd wanted and very close to a CRT.

- The panel displays a curious horizontal banding that is not present in other IPS panels I have seen when viewing the backlight in complete darkness. This however, does not affect a "real world" working scenario, where solid colors and gradients look absolutely fine.

- Panel uniformity is very good, as you would expect from a SpectraView branded monitor, although I have only been able to check a few white and grey patches at factory native settings with "Uniformity" ON).

- I haven't been able to check color reproduction nor calibrate since the SpectraView Profiler CD has been shipped with no "TAN" sticker and cannot get a valid license file to enable hardware writing to the monitor LUT.

- NEC states the gamut of this monitor is slightly closer to the sRGB color space than the original 2490; to be honest the slightly lower coverage of the original was never a concern.

- Apparent sharpness at native setting is very good if a little strong (it can be easily tweaked in the OSD), making text very readable and pictures at less than 100 % magnification in Photoshop extremely sharp.

- As you would also expect from a NEC monitor, electronics and OSD are brilliant and well thought of, giving you full and fine control of every possible aspect.

- Incidentally, my new monitor shows a dead full pixel close to the center of the screen. I haven't checked very thoroughly to spot any other stuck/dead pixels or sub-pixels.

I will try to bring more information as soon as I carry more objective tests after calibration.

In conclusion, and in all honesty, my first thoughts on this new monitor are not very encouraging. I have the feeling that for 1.544 euros (equivalent to 2.200 dollars) you should be getting better than this.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the "block"! ;O)

Last edited:
I'd really be interested in your impressions of a second WUXi2 as well, just to rule out the possibility that there are defects in your panel. Some of your observations are quite concerning...

Thanks for the report, Luke.

Looking at an image from an extreme angle from below (which is not very normal anyway) it almost resembles a TN panel (exaggerating a little, of course) and it is, for instance, much worse than the 2080UXi that I have at my office.

I've read a very similar vertical viewing angle gripe on a different forum about the Dell 2209WA.

Hi Luke,
thanks fo your post, some feedback on this monitor will be really appreciated.

I'm thinking to buy one of them because I would like to get a good sRGB monitor (without wide-gamut); I've read reagarding the lack of the A-TW polarizer in this model but I think that I'll live with some glow on the LCD.

Apart from this, why you're not happy with it?

Thank you very much.

First, thanks to all for your kind comments.

Following my first impressions, I had a chance to carry out a few tests this weekend, comparing the 2490WUXi2 to my "old" DELL 2407WFP-HC.

Please note these are VERY unscientific and have to be taken with a "grain of salt". ;)

My first concern with this new panel was clearly off-angle viewing.

For this purpose, I placed the two monitors side by side in a completely dark room, making sure they were well aligned both horizontally and vertically.

After, I have tried to visually match the brightness between both. Please note that the white point and color differ noticeably since they are NOT calibrated.

The images have been taken with an EOS 400D fixed at a constant manual exposure.

This first image is a full collage of images, taken individually from each monitor, from different angles, both horizontally and vertically. All images have no adjustments whatsoever, only cut and paste and convert profile from aRGB to sRGB for the whole image:

(note: the top left in vertical angle is actually a somewhat lesser of an angle than that of the DELL)

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9466/viewinganglesnecvsdell.jpg

The next image shows a comparison of both monitors side by side in terms of horizontal viewing angles:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9179/horizontalviewingangles.jpg

This one shows a comparison of both monitors placed side by side, with some "funny" vertical viewing angles that would actually resemble a third person reviewing images in the "real world", like for instance, standing up:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6893/verticalviewinganglesne.jpg

Here is the backlight glow from both monitors placed side by side:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6517/backlightglownecvsdell.jpg

This is a pixel structure defect near the center of the SpectraView 2490WUXi2:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9319/pixeldefectspectraview2.jpg

I had a chance to also subjectively test the input lag on both monitors, although didn't have a chance to actually use a measurable system to assess this, just moving windows up and down.

I noticed the NEC had a slightly larger input lag over the DELL, but it is subtle.

Viewing angles (subjectively and apart from what the camera captures, which rather exaggerates what the naked eye can see) are definitely better in the DELL than the NEC, apart from the obvious typical contrast shift that is associated with *VA-type panels.

The DELL gradually decreases brightness and contrast when you increase the viewing angle, with similar horizontal and vertical performance.

The NEC, on the other hand, quickly darkens, showing a darker "band" area at around +-40-45 degrees that moves up and down when moving the head vertically. Brightness shift is gradual horizontally.

All in all, I hope these images help to show that the new NEC is performing very poorly for an IPS panel, even compared to an earlier generation PVA screen.

Regarding color accuracy, unfortunately I have not been able to make DDC/CI work in my computer, rendering my SpectraView Profiler useless.

I have tried 4 different drivers from NVIDIA (I have a DELL XPS630i with two 9800GTs in SLI): 181.? (originally installed), 182.06, 182.50 and the latest 190.62.

I'm not sure if the DDC/CI implementation is broken in all these drivers or something in my system or OS is preventing the commands from accessing the monitor; as a result, NaviSet nor SpectraView Profiler work at all in my system.

I have also checked that the monitor DDC/CI is set to ON and also the EDID is set to NORMAL (also tried toggling these to OFF and ON).

I have even tried to uninstall the monitor driver and use PnP monitor and also exchanging the DVI-D cable, without luck.

I don't know what to do with this monitor but I fear I will not sleep properly for the next few days, regretting I ever placed this order.

Thanks again for reading and sorry for the length.

All the Best.

Thanks for your pictures and thorough text.
I PMed two other members here who have the v.2 to see if their screens are the same (well, probably they are but you never can be 100% sure) but I doubt we'll get more than one of them to answer. One of them have only made one post and 2 visits. :(
E-mail notificaton on PMs would be a good thing...

About the inability to connect to the monitor, maybe it's SLI? Give it a try deactivated.

There really are some differences to your monitor and the Dell 2209WA (the first eIPS), the white glow on black background is exactly the same but then they go different paths.

Hi Jonte,

Thanks for your reply and no problem, I'm glad I can help other people make the right choice of monitor for their needs.

Regarding SLI, I also thought about that being a problem: tried both disabling SLI in the drivers and physically removing the card from the slot but still no luck.

I guess I could try a full partition recovery (using the DELL utility) but that would mean reinstalling software and re-mapping all drives, etc.

I'm in contact with the SpectraView/basICColor team, which hopefully wil be able to track me in the right direction.

Agreed about the email PMs.

Regarding your comparison with the 2209WA, I think the image showing vertical angles is perhaps the most perplexing: http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6893/verticalviewinganglesne.jpg

Last edited:
I'm one of the two people also known to have this monitor. Mine looks pretty much the same as the one in the pictures. I never really got the obsession with vertical viewing angles, but looking for it now I do see the dark band.

There are two artifacts I notice in practice, but only when I'm looking for them:
The IPS glow in the lower corners on dark backgrounds. Prior to this monitor I was using two 17" PVA monitors, and the contrast shift I got across those was a far more extreme effect.
A bit of uneven backlighting in the the top right corner. I only every spot this when I'm switching between inputs, but it's there.

I now longer see the sparkle from the anti-glare coating. My eyesight has been trained.

Overall I'm still very impressed with this monitor. It may not be as good as the one with the A-TW polarizer from extreme angles, but it was available, significantly cheaper and used in a normal head on position has an excellent quality image.

Thanks for your posting, all.
I've been just about to purchase the 2490 after seeing lots of good words here, but really been wondering weather the A-TW would disappear on the new line. It seemed kind of important... Albovin reported that it would disappear from the 2690Wuxi2, I had a slight hope they would keep it on the 2490. But not so.

But; have you all bought the SpectraView version of the Monitor, or the "plain" Wuxi2?
Here in Norway the SV comes with the SV Profiler software, but no calibrator. Spyder 3 is recommended, among others. And the hardware calibration is enabled, and - maybe important - the panel has gone through some extra qual.control and is certified "SV". The pricetag for these last steps are some 675 USD (extra - on top of initial 1K USD), and I've really wondered if it's worth it. Even more now, hearing your fresh report and seeing your pictures.

Have anyone seen the Dell U2410 compared to the 2490 Wuxi2 - they are now both IPS-panels, and none with A-TW?

Can your problems have anyting to do with the E-switch in the OSD? Turn ON for enabling use of the software. Maybe this is the only "lock" NEC puts on the hardware?
See Albovin's review on the (old) 2490 SV here on the forum for OSD-buttons.

Hi Amund,

Thanks for the tip!

I'm not positive what's that "E-switch" you mention.

Maybe you mean an option in the advanced menu tag that enabled DDC in the first WUXi monitors that were shipped in Europe that was later removed from the firmware?

I don't believe WUXI2 monitors have it. In fact, some European users have been able to get the Spectraview II software from the US and make it work perfectly with their "standard" non-SV monitors.

If NEC does not exchange the monitor, I might give a shot at reinstalling the OS and drivers.

I am bereft of an explanation for your monitor's behaviour. Your compound images demonstrate tendencies not present in my 2209WA. Perhaps you could get the NEC product design manager at dpreview to clarify for you.

I have a small question, though. why has the glow found in this image not been captured in this?

Yes, it was the advanced menu setting I tried to refer to. Did not know it's gone from the wuxi2's.

Have you got the monitor in better shape by calibrating, or are you just waiting out a replacement? I must say the pictures were alarming. From this forum I've understood that the IPS paneltype was crucial to avoid such distorted viewing, and now it seems like the A-TW polarizer was at least as important as IPS.
Really got a second thought on purchasing, although post-installing SV software seems like an option that makes the treat less expensive.

Thanks for shearing the info!

Hi,
maybe the A-TW polarizer makes a big difference but actually there's no monitor under EUR 1000 that have it!!

The Dell U2410 can be an alternative but I've red some issue regarding the wide-gamut on the previous 2408WFP and anyway it doesn’t have the polarizer.

So we would like to have IPS, A-TW polarizer, sRGB monitor (without wide-gamut), price under USD$1000, no banding etc ....
I've red many thread about monitors and I'm pretty sure that the product we like does not exist.

Hi,
maybe the A-TW polarizer makes a big difference but actually there's no monitor under EUR 1000 that have it!!

The Dell U2410 can be an alternative but I've red some issue regarding the wide-gamut on the previous 2408WFP and anyway it doesn’t have the polarizer.

So we would like to have IPS, A-TW polarizer, sRGB monitor (without wide-gamut), price under USD$1000, no banding etc ....
I've red many thread about monitors and I'm pretty sure that the product we like does not exist.

The old model 2490's are available at that price if you don't mind refurbished...

The old model 2490's are available at that price if you don't mind refurbished...

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes I know, but I live in EU and I have to buy it (refurbished) in the US, so no warranty, customs etc ... for the same price I prefer to buy a brand new item in my country instead of a refurbished one abroad.

From this forum I've understood that the IPS paneltype was crucial to avoid such distorted viewing, and now it seems like the A-TW polarizer was at least as important as IPS.

The A-TW was a very nice feature in the eyes of many end consumers but, to be honest, the lack of polarizer is the least of concerns for someone purchasing the 2490WUXi2.

I am writing from a 2080UXi that doesn't have it. It does exhibit plenty of backlight glow at off-angles but it shows absolutely great viewing angles - and it is from 2005.

There are also a few wonderful monitors out there that don't have it; in fact they are used daily by many designers, photographers and professionals with pre-press or softproofing needs without gripes.

I have had a chance to compare this monitor to the 2080UXi, the 2090UXi Photo Edition, the original 2490WUXi and a 2190UXi. As far as IPS panels go, this is, without a doubt, the worst performing panel in terms of off-angle viewing I have ever seen, even when comparing it to PVA.

Hi "Whoisthisreally":

I have a small question, though. why has the glow found in this image not been captured in this?

"Unfortunately" the human eye is much more sensitive to light than a camera. The first picture of the backlight glow is a much longer exposure at ISO 400, so that you can clearly see the glow, which has a much smaller EV reading than the Windows Vista login screen.

What is the E setting in the advanced menu? There is a setting for DDC/CI. That's enabled by default.

The A-TW was a very nice feature in the eyes of many end consumers but, to be honest, the lack of polarizer is the least of concerns for someone purchasing the 2490WUXi2.

I am writing from a 2080UXi that doesn't have it. It does exhibit plenty of backlight glow at off-angles but it shows absolutely great viewing angles - and it is from 2005.

There are also a few wonderful monitors out there that don't have it; in fact they are used daily by many designers, photographers and professionals with pre-press or softproofing needs without gripes.

I have had a chance to compare this monitor to the 2080UXi, the 2090UXi Photo Edition, the original 2490WUXi and a 2190UXi. As far as IPS panels go, this is, without a doubt, the worst performing panel in terms of off-angle viewing I have ever seen, even when comparing it to PVA.

Hi Luke,
Based on your experience can you suggest an alternative?

In this price range the products are always the same: Lacie 324, Eizo (PVA Panels), HP LP2475, DELL (but I don’t like them because they’re all wide-gamut) etc …

I’m thinking to buy it anyway and get the hood to prevent high off-angle viewing but seems that any product really worth.

Luke Sena said:
This one shows a comparison of both monitors placed side by side, with some "funny" vertical viewing angles that would actually resemble a third person reviewing images in the "real world", like for instance, standing up:

Those viewing angles are strange. I haven't seen an IPS panel do that, but I saw someone complain about the same thing on the HP LP2475w: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423232

The Dell 2209WA definitely doesn't do that.

None of those pictures show the same kind of darkening.

The glow is normal. I'm talking about the darkening.

(note: the top left in vertical angle is actually a somewhat lesser of an angle than that of the DELL)

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9466/viewinganglesnecvsdell.jpg

The next image shows a comparison of both monitors side by side in terms of horizontal viewing angles:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9179/horizontalviewingangles.jpg

My 2490v1 and my Doublesight 263n both do something like that vertically (mainly on white screens) though not nearly so pronounced as in your picture. The horizontal dimming is very odd though, both my screens are more like this than your first picture. Does it really look in person like what the camera captured?

Yes, it was the advanced menu setting I tried to refer to. Did not know it's gone from the wuxi2's.

Thanks for shearing the info!

What is the E setting in the advanced menu? There is a setting for DDC/CI. That's enabled by default.

North American WUXI and WUXI2 models can be made into SpectraView II, hardware calibrated models by buying a regular "non-SV" WUXI/WUXI2 and adding the kit later. European models could not, but prior to a certain WUXI revision, you could run the E-switch hack and do so, but not any more. That's what Amund is talking about. That review is based on an older version/firmware.

None of those pictures show the same kind of darkening.

The glow is normal. I'm talking about the darkening.

You're talking about this picture right?

I thought it was white glow on white, but then looking from below the same brightness shift pattern is there where the bottom right is brighter.

Looking at the black background picture, the white glow is consistent, again brighter at the bottom right. You'd expect the opposite considering the angle and that it would be more similar to the Dell, where the furthest angle would show the most glow.

Hi everyone.

I too have the 2490WUXI2 and have the same troubles with this display. Luke is 100% correct.

You can see dark banding at 40°/45° (even less) when moving your head. The effect is very bad and I never saw that in a IPS screen.

The problem is not with the white glow / lack of TW polarizer. It's the panel technology (eH-IPS). "e" means? eco?

I thought it was some kind of TN panel! Had eye strain problems too. First time on a IPS.

I had to buy a spectraview 2490WUXI with the original H-IPS panel from NEC.

I would suggest that you stay away from any eH-IPS.

Very disappointed.

(and thank you LG for making such terrible panels :mad:)

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your posts and sorry for the late reply; just arrived from my small mini-holidays ;) .

Just wanted to let you know that I contacted NEC Display Solutions Europe GmbH before I left, regarding the possibility of exchanging my faulty SpectraView 2490 for a new unit.

Since it did "only" have a full dead pixel + 1 red sub-pixel near the center of the screen and this is theoretically within the boundaries of the ISO 13406-2 (Pixel Failure Class II), I wasn't so optimistic and thought I would be "stuck" with this monitor.

I have to say that their service and attention has been extremely friendly and supportive.

They have not only agreed to exchange the unit "no-questions-asked" for a new one but also have made me extremely happy fulfilling my request of receiving the older model, the 2490WUXi.

To say I am totally satisfied is an understatement.

I should receive the box today in theory so I'll try to come back as soon as possible and share my findings.

Luke Sena. I hope you will share your thoughts with us when your replacement arrives. I would really like to know if the issues you've seen are from a defective monitor.

Last edited:
Couldn't find a thread of the Nec2690wuxi2 so I am posting here...)

A prad review of the NEC 2690wuxi2 has been written: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2009/test-nec-lcd2690wuxi2-bk.html#Einleitung
(use babelfish etc to translate)

Conclusion: The lack of a A-TW filter doesn't bother them, in fact for the brightness distribution they give it the perfect score. Viewing angles didnt bother them aswell.

This is not the 2490wuxi2, but I wonder how it relates to the smaller 24 inch brother. I guess they are quite similar.

the 2690WUXI2 doens't share the same panel than the 2490WUXI2

The 2490WUXI2 panel is a e-H IPS from LG.

("The waiver of the A-TW polarizer is particularly noticeable in dark image content, since it now comes out of the corner to light Temp. But this should not constitute a serious limitation in daily operation and predominantly frontal view.")

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2009/test-nec-lcd2690wuxi2-bk-teil8.html

I had the Hp LP2475 which has the same panel type and even though text and colour and everything else about the monitor was good, with the lack of a A-TW polarizer, I could see white glow in normal frontal view in four corners and not just from dark backgrounds either.
I have clients viewing my work standing up, and to have to shift the monitor for them to view colours correctly was really annoying.

I ended up returing the HP Lp2475, and bought an ex demo original 2490wuxi, which im using now this thing is perfect and i can really see the difference, the Hp though did have one thing over the NEC 2490wuxi though text was a lot easier to read and not as bright due to the thick coating of anti glare on the panel, apart from that it had nothing else.

I am looking for another original as a second screen but cannot find anymore so if someone has the 2490wuxi2 screen please post some images with shots on an angle and dark backgrounds. If im going to pay so much for a screen i would want it to be close to perfect.

Thanks

the 2690WUXI2 doens't share the same panel than the 2490WUXI2

The 2490WUXI2 panel is a e-H IPS from LG.

I think the poster's point is that the changes from the WUXi to WUXi2 version for both displays was supposed to be similar - loss of the A-TW and move to eH-IPS panels. Yes, we realize that the panels are still different as both 24s are sRGB and both 26s are wide gamut.

If prad.de and other reviewers thought the 2690WUXi2 was great, it's surprising then to see so many people bashing on the 2490WUXi2 when the alterations were to be similar for both.

the 2690WUXI2 doesn't have a e-H IPS panel from LG. That's why I posted a message ;)

Different panels. the e-H IPS has viewing angles problems (see my post earlier - I own one). The 2690WUXI2 has a H-IPS panel, the 2490WUXI2 a eH-IPS according to NEC.

QUESTION: What type of LCD panel is used in the display monitor?

ANSWER:

LCD1990SX - 19.0 inch, PVA.

LCD1990SXi - 19.0 inch, S-IPS.

LCD2090UXi - 20.1 inch, IPS A-TW.

LCD2190UXi - 21.3 inch, SA-SFT.

LCD2490WUXi - 24.1 inch widescreen, H-IPS A-TW.

LCD2490WUXi2 - 24.1 inch widescreen, eH-IPS A.

LCD2690WUXi - 25.5 inch widescreen, wide color gamut, H-IPS A-TW.

LCD2690WUXi2 - 25.5 inch widescreen, wide color gamut, H-IPS.

LCD3090WQXi - 29.8 inch widescreen, wide color gamut, H-IPS.

P221W - 22.0 inch widescreen, wide color gamut, S-PVA.

The problem with the 2490WUXI2 is not IMHO the lack of the polarizer. As posted by luke too, the darkness / dark banding is a major problem. Never seen this in a IPS screen.

I own 3 NECs: the 2090UXI, the 2490WUXI Spectraview and the 2490WUXI2.

Last edited:
The Hp I had, had the revised one the e-Hips A

Even the PRAD review of the HP LP 2475 did not pick up the issue of the white glow, but maybe that was an old revision.

The 2490WUXI2 has a white AND and a dark glow problem :).
The problem is the DARK GLOW / Darkness banding at 45° (I do not know how to describe it since it is a new flaw never seen before in a IPS screen). I saw that the dell 2209W has the same LG screen (and the HP?). For me it is the worst IPS I ever seen.

Oops I also own an antique EIZO PLACEO 15 inches IPS screen. Viewing angles are way better than this eH-IPS.

I would stay away from any e-H IPS or e-IPS. Again it is just my humble opinion.

the 2690WUXI2 doesn't have a e-H IPS panel from LG. That's why I posted a message ;)

Different panels. the e-H IPS has viewing angles problems (see my post earlier - I own one). The 2690WUXI2 has a H-IPS panel, the 2490WUXI2 a eH-IPS according to NEC.

The problem with the 2490WUXI2 is not IMHO the lack of the polarizer. As posted by luke too, the darkness / dark banding is a major problem. Never seen this in a IPS screen.

I own 3 NECs: the 2090UXI, the 2490WUXI Spectraview and the 2490WUXI2.

This is useful information. Can you please do this test on your 2490wuxi & wuxi2:

http://xtknight.50webs.com/blacktest.htm

I am curious if the wuxi2 can display all black levels, I now have to choose between either the 2490wuxi2 (srgb, but glow) or 2690wuxi2 with wide-gamut problems, which might will be fixed in the far future, though i want accurate colors, like, right now. Thanks!

Last edited:

Fair enough. We may be suffering from a case where marketing literature isn't precise enough for enthusiasts and we've read conflicting info. Like THAT has never happened before :)

I had read that other than the gamut, the 1->2 revisions were the same between the models.

Has anyone found any new reviews yet?

Have to pick a 1920x1200 res monitor soon before my new project starts...I know I want sRGB (many of my clients will have older monitors) and not widegamut, and preferably hardware calibration, but the black backlight glow seems to be to big on the 2490wuxi2 (can only get that version here). The lacie 324 is getting good reviews too, but it is PVA, but it does have hardware calibration, though only with the lacie probe I guess...ah decisions :rolleyes:

Dell U2410: accurate sRGB, but some backlight glow and black areas tend towards dark grey
HP LP2475w: widegamut + backlight glow.
Nec 2490wuxi2: backlight glow
Lacie 324: PVA
?

Back