Intel Core i5 Captured in the Wild

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We are pretty sure you guys have heard about Intel's upcoming, but yet-to-be-launched Lynnfield processor that is being retailed as the Core i5 ... already. We picked up this one from Fry's online store Sunday night and had it here in Dallas, Texas this morning. Yes, I would expect a bit of a preview from HardOCP before the official launch date with just enough information to tell you what you need.

Pretty cool to have stuff before retail launch.

I used to work at a place that got engineering samples and such, I miss those days of toying with hardware that others can only speculate about. :(

this will probably be my upgrade, i love the northbridgeless mobos that are coming out.. curious how it stacks up against the 920.

Since you got this chip through retail, does that mean you aren't bound by an NDA regarding the results you get from it?

The 750 has a what 20x multiplier so i should hope for atleast 4.5Ghz easily on water. I really want to see 5Ghz tho :)

I just shat myself reading the news and seeing the pictures.

Looking forward to the preview.

Cool. Let's see some benchmarks!
Also is it possible to OC this thing to 4.5 ghz without using something exotic like liquid nitrogen or phase change?

Cool. Let's see some benchmarks!
Also is it possible to OC this thing to 4.5 ghz without using something exotic like liquid nitrogen or phase change?

It's hit 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler.

cpuz_lynnfield.png

If the i5-750 can run at 4.5ghz... doesn't that mean it will blow the i7 920 out of the water running at 4.0ghz??

That screenshot means shit without stress-testing results to go along with it.

If it can fold with 4 VMs running SMP and complete all 4 WUs, it can only then be declared truly stable.

i have not upgraded. yet i want to see the new ati 5xxx series and see how the core i5 vs core i7's do. plus i can save up some cash and wait for the price to go down some.

maybe you should wait for the ati 6xxx or 7xxx, and then maybe somebody will give you a cpu. there are always reasons to not upgrade.

Back