Project 'Grudge'

Dark Sun

n00b
Welcome to Project Grudge.

After approximately 6 months work on and off I am proud to unveil Project 'Grudge'. I have taken my time with the build so far to ensure high quality and to avoid any costly mistakes.

'Grudge' will be used primarily for gaming, music and movies.

The project should be finished in the next two weeks.

cimg0001m.jpg

The case is a Lian Li PC-A05B. I have powder coated the internals.

cimg0004xcs.jpg

I have cut 2X120mm fans into the top of the case.

cimg0011u.jpg

I used a Bitspower fan grill and secured the fans with hex bolts and nuts.

cimg0009n.jpg

The stock PCI slot covers have been replaced with custom ones.

cimg0016.jpg

The top 2X120mm Yate Loon fans. This will ensure cool air reaches the graphics card.

cimg0005ran.jpg

The stock power and reset switch have been replaced with white LED vandal switches.

cimg0012l.jpg

The stock case feet have been replaced with some billet machined aluminium ones.

cimg0002i.jpg

Here is the rear case fan with the brain drain fan grill.

cimg0013y.jpg

I plan on hiding all the cables behind the motherboard. So far I have wired the switches and four case fans.

I like what you're doing, I just wish your pictures were more exposed.... Perhaps your monitor's gamma is way up, because all these pictures are difficult to look at.

Looks great Dark Sun! I'm working on the same case... I hope your experience so far has been as good as mine. Can't wait to see your finished project. Maybe we can compare at the end!

great job so far. looks really clean.

only thing are those vandal switches. I flirted with them but it became a pain in the ass to remove the front panel. Bu yeah they look super nice and you got the black ones so they dont distract the eye when looking at the case.

I can't wait to see this one finished.

The PSU arrived today.

It is a Coolermaster Silent Pro M 700w.

I just though I would give my initial impressions to help anyone who is thinking about getting one of these.

The packaging is pretty basic but I wasn't expecting anything amazing given the PSU is under £90. The packaging did its job.

The PSU itself looks absolutely awesome. The PSU has a matt black finish and looks very high quality and doesn't leave any fingerprints after handling. The construction is as solid as a rock. It looks pretty understated compared to many PSU's out there but I like the look and it fits my theme. The performance is good according to the reviews.

Next I will braid the exposed power cables. I will post more pics over the coming days when hopefully it will be installed.

cimg0024a.jpg

cimg0021swp.jpg

cimg0022i.jpg

cimg0023n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's the most understated PSU you could find, with the CoolerMaster badges on the fan and backside as well as the stickers. Will you be removing any of them?

I am planning on removing the side sticker. I meant understated as in it doesn't have any flashy lights or mirror finish.

I removed the large side sticker with a heat gun. It came off pretty easily after heating the sticker on a low heat for around a minute.

cimg0025z.jpg

cimg0030w.jpg

It works great in my system,I only have (2 HD SSD Corsair and 1 TB Seagate, Evga Micro x58,12 GB of Corsair DOMINATOR GT,BFG 285 GTX,Samsung DVD/CDR Drive)...Small over clock..Great Quality for Sure !! :D

All the components arrived this week. I'd planned on installing everything, however the cpu cooler was severely damaged and needs to be replaced.

At the moment I'm running the rig outside of the case using the stock cooler because I wanted to test all the hardware worked.

A replacement cooler should arrive on Monday. I'm hoping everything will be in the case within the next week.

I'm sending a few bits off to Chilled PC to be powdercoated as well.

cimg0002n.jpg

cimg0004cfy.jpg

Here is the motherboard.

cimg0007x.jpg

cimg0009lug.jpg

cimg0010jza.jpg

cimg0011s.jpg

Last edited:
that mobo looks amazing, I would totalllly buy it just for looks lol

Some more pics of how the rig is progressing.

It was pretty hard to take good pictures considering everything is black.

I'm hoping to borrow a better camera in the next few weeks to take better pictures.

I think you get the idea though.

cimg0019b.jpg

cimg0020b.jpg

cimg0021m.jpg

cimg0023.jpg

cimg0024e.jpg

cimg0029.jpg

cimg0030s.jpg

cimg0032r.jpg

cimg0033s.jpg

Looks great!

Aside from the stupid red plastic piece on the video card.

Keep up the good work!

The case look very cool in all black. The colored panel on the video card didn't register as a distraction until lord_farfig pointed it out. Taking another look - I agree.

I suggest that you get some flat black vinyl dye and you can subdue the glow. If the plastic insert cannot be easily removed, I've had luck brushing on the vinyl dye after spraying some in a paper cup. (I always thought it looked better than black sharpie for the little things that couldn't be sprayed, like a volume wheel on a CD/DVD drive, for instance.)

But, all in all, I like the case.

that looks awesome. too bad no one makes an all black video card eh? are you planning on sleeving the power wires?

Some color contrast is good with an all black interior. So tempted to powder coat mine too. The only eye sore i see is the stock cd drive color. =D Other than that. Awesome build. So clean...

I agree... keep the red. You need a little bit 'o' color in there. Also... paint the case of that optical drive!

Go look at the picture on the first page with all the hardware in their boxes. It's a GTX275.

that mobo looks amazing, I would totalllly buy it just for looks lol

That's why I bought mine, everything in my case and out is black.

Looks sweet, the mobo is defiantly a sexy beast :)

I bought the Corsair H50 because it was all black and looked good. I think it would look even better in your rig then mine lol. I'm not so sure about your cooler. ;) ...Nonetheless looks cool.

Good luck on the rest of your build.

Back