Question about 120hz tv's and using as a computer monitor?

song

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I am in the market for a 40-46" computer monitor and wanted either 120-240hz, a 10bit panel, and possibly LED backlit.

Now sadly I am in the price range of $800 or less and this means I cannot get a TV like this lol.

I was wondering though. If I bought a 120hz tv and used it on my pc would all 120hz tv's be able to work at 120hz for viewing and gaming automatically or would I have to do some special settings? I have a nvidia 260gtx if that hlps. Also how would vsync work? Is it really worth it to get 120hz over 60hz for pc gaming?

Also found this tv. What do you think about it being a computer monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-42PFL...?tag=slickdeals&ie=UTF8&qid=1248972189&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
120Hz tech for PC monitors and HDTVs are not the same.

120Hz mode in HDTV will create input lag because the internal electronics creates an interpolated in between each actual frame recieved from the source (in this case the video card). That's why movies on the HDTV have that "live" look.

If you are going to play games on an HDTV make sure it has a 60Hz mode you can manually switch to. It may even be called "Game Mode".

120Hz tech for PC monitors and HDTVs are not the same.

120Hz mode in HDTV will create input lag because the internal electronics creates an interpolated in between each actual frame recieved from the source (in this case the video card). That's why movies on the HDTV have that "live" look.

If you are going to play games on an HDTV make sure it has a 60Hz mode you can manually switch to. It may even be called "Game Mode".

So 120hz tv's can be a burden or even worse for gaming? What about 240hz tv's?

Any display that goes above the source Hz is going to create input lag. Since Blu-Ray doesn't put out 120/240 Hz, that will always be the case. If they make a computer LCD that can actually utilize 120/240 Hz output of the graphics card, that would be sweet an you could see benefit without additional input lag.

Motion interpolation modes are optional on just about all 120Hz TVs.

Turn it off and they shouldn't add any lag. In defeat mode they should still be slightly better because they are usually based on faster panels. Better for Blu Ray because they don't need to do 3:2 cadence and can do 5:5 instead.

A true 120Hz LCD monitor (there are only two - the Samsung 2233rz and the Viewsonic VX2265wm) takes up to 120Hz from the video card; that is extremely good for computer gaming. A 120Hz or greater LCD TV takes only up to 60Hz from the video card, and gets its 120Hz by adding more frames - that happens within the TV, so it is completely not helpful for gaming.

A true 120Hz LCD monitor (there are only two - the Samsung 2233rz and the Viewsonic VX2265wm) takes up to 120Hz from the video card; that is extremely good for computer gaming. A 120Hz or greater LCD TV takes only up to 60Hz from the video card, and gets its 120Hz by adding more frames - that happens within the TV, so it is completely not helpful for gaming.

that has been the two monitors for some time, are there new monitors / HDTVs that can do true 120 now? are there some on the horizon that we know the models and when they will be released?

I think we won't see a TV with true 120Hz input cuz there's no real reason for that other than for console gaming possibly but even then most console games (all?) are capped at either 60 or 30 fps. With the interpolation technique you actually can see a difference looking at any movie or TV show or whatever, adding true 120Hz you won't see any difference other than lower ghosting especially watching sports. I'm not against if TVs with 120Hz appeared but I just don't see it happening.

Then again I haven't checked how the 240Hz TVs work but I'd rather think it inserts more frame than 1 than start with 120Hz true input.

that has been the two monitors for some time, are there new monitors / HDTVs that can do true 120 now? are there some on the horizon that we know the models and when they will be released?

Nope. Still just the two. There is chatter in this thread about the ASUS VG242H being a 120Hz 1920x1080 TN panel rumored to come out in 3rd quarter 2009.

240Hz and 480Hz LCD TVs work just the same as 120Hz LCD TVs; they just insert even more frames.

theres more than two, you remember theres still CRTs out there, many of which can do 85-120hz just fine

as far as what it would do for gaming, unless you could make some use of the higher redraw (like, say, stereoscopic 3D, or some sort of TMB effect), it generally shouldn't change a thing (especially if vsync is enabled), gaming on CRTs switching between 60/75/85/120 hz and so on does nothing, unless you've got a specific feature that benefits from the faster redraw

unless of course we're gonna drag the "I can see at 120 fps" arguements out of the closet :eek:

@ evilsofa:
is there even a marketed 480hz LCD TV? :eek: (shit is getting ridiculous....)

theres more than two, you remember theres still CRTs out there, many of which can do 85-120hz just fine

as far as what it would do for gaming, unless you could make some use of the higher redraw (like, say, stereoscopic 3D, or some sort of TMB effect), it generally shouldn't change a thing (especially if vsync is enabled), gaming on CRTs switching between 60/75/85/120 hz and so on does nothing, unless you've got a specific feature that benefits from the faster redraw

unless of course we're gonna drag the "I can see at 120 fps" arguements out of the closet :eek:

@ evilsofa:
is there even a marketed 480hz LCD TV? :eek: (shit is getting ridiculous....)

personally I'm not in the market for a CRT.

I am interested in stereoscopic gaming via nVidia. I'd like to see it and really try it out. Currently I have a 30 inch Dell, and IMO I'd be losing too much screen to try out stereoscopic gaming on the current batch of LCD monitors capable of 120Hz.

I know there are certain DLP TVs and certain projectors (low res) that are capable of stereoscopic gaming, but both have serious drawbacks.

New information:
This information shows up as the #1 or #2 search result (June 9th, 2013) in Google, when searching "120Hz from PC to TV".
So people still visit this thread from Google. There are now many televisions that can accept 120Hz from a computer (in an undocumented way). This is done via ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility, or EVGA PIXEL OC utility, or other utilities -- to force 120Hz from a PC to TV. True native 120Hz, not interpolated 120Hz. Includes confirmations via Refresh Rate Multitool!

HDTV Refresh Rate Overclocking HOWTO:
120Hz from PC to TV

Several success reports include:
-- Vizio M420SL and e3d420vx (1080p at 120Hz from PC to TV)
-- Panasonic VT50 plasma (1080p@120Hz)
-- SEIKI 4K HDTV (1080p@120Hz).
-- Several Sony 50", 60" and 70" models
-- Etc.

Successful: Vizio e3d420vx
Resolution: 1920×1080 at 120 Hz
Source: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?852-Managed-to-force-120Hz-on-a-Vizio-e3d420vx
Success: Panasonic VT50 plasma
Caveat: More heat output
Source: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438092/l...z-via-dvi-or-hdmi-from-computer#post_22576928
Confirmed: Seiki 4K HDTV
The brand new SEIKI 50″ HDTV with 4K resolution supports 1080p @ 120Hz natively (Multitool confirmed).
seiki4k_720p@133Hz-300x224.jpg
deadman5k said:
Successful: Vizio M420SL not a 3d TV

Using a Asus 3D tv driver I was able to force a 120hz output with windows 7 and my Vizio M420SL system info screen displays 120hz vertical frequency as well as my Catalyst control center. This TV is not a 3D but does have a native LCD refresh rate of 120hz.

Thank you blurbusters for your very helpful information. It took all day to find the right question to ask the great google search engine but when I finally asked “force 120hz pc” I found this page and now I am in 120hz, 42 inch, goodness. Next trick is getting passive 3d working. Thanks again.
sadbuttrue said:
Successful: Panasonic 50ST30 plasma
Resolution: 1280×720 @ 120hz.
Source: HardForum post (by sadbuttrue)

The OSD reports 60hz and 3D mode detected. Colours are slightly different but there is no 3D being applied. I have verified that it does show 120 unique frames. So, when you try outputting 120hz to your TV don’t assume the OSD is giving an accurate report. It may say 60hz yet actually be showing 120hz.
maarten12100 said:
Successful: Skyworth 39E780U UHD tv (china market model)
Resolution: 1080p @ 140Hz without frame skipping
Source: Overclock.net review by maarten12100

The overclock results:
UHD 3840×2160 was 30Hz max now 38Hz (up to 40Hz by yellowucing the extra pixels/blanking in the stream but with minor artifacting)
QFHD 2560×1440 was not there now 82Hz
HD 1920×1080 was 60Hz max now 140Hz (I checked with RRMT Refresh Rate Multi Tool and it actually did it without dropping)
QHD 1280×720 was 60Hz max now 254Hz (checked again with RRMT but it was too fast for my eyes then I took pictures and video)
(NOTE: Cost only $600 in China! Not available outside of China yet at this time.)
bobbitybob said:
Successful:
- Sony KDL-50R550A 50″
- Sony KDL-60R550A 60″
- Sony KDL-70R550A 70″
Resolution: 1080p @ 120Hz
Source: AVSFORUM post by bobbitybob

“720p@120hz confirmed working. Kinda funny, before on 1080 I didn't notice a difference figuring I'm just getting too old for this stuff, having never used a 120hz monitor before, but I knew instantly with the real 120hz that it's working. What a huge difference in smoothness and yellowuction in blur. Just nuts. Tested with RRM (Refresh Rate Multitool) as well to verify.”
(NOTE: 720p was good; 1080p was frameskipping, but may be DVI adaptor (limitation). Best to test using direct HDMI-to-HDMI connection from PC-to-TV.)

(Cited from Comments section of HDTV Refresh Rate HOWTO: True 120Hz from PC to TV)

Last edited:
For the Googlers, as of 2013, there are now a few dozen LCD monitors that officially support 120Hz from a PC's video card, mostly 1920x1080 of various sizes up to 27 inches, but it's still an accidental fringe market that could just suddenly disappear at any time.

Back