I compiled some data on i3/i5/i7/i9

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie

Hope this helps you keep things straight.
discuss.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list.
Will mobile chips fit a desktop motherboard?

so the gulftown is going to be $999 per thousand? source?

EDIT: this cpu is still going for $2400 right now...:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117176

Funny how only one person bought that... He'll be punching himself in the face when it's valued around $100....

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/294/653/kaigai-01.jpg
goto compiles data from his own sources.
It shows we'll see $550/$275 tiers of gulftown, but not until Q3'2010.
Dunnington is a s604 chip, not relevant to this.

No, different sockets.

True, but still amazing that someone would pay $2400 for a CPU...

So im guessing there wont be a 6 core version outside of the expensive extreme edition for quite some time? :(
Looks like we'll see the cheapy gulftowns in Q3'2010. I expected them before that, but we'll see.
Made some slight changes to the chart.

chart in OP updated
also here

image of clarkfield

image of arrandale

some die size info. iGPU on the left, CPU on the right.
arrandaleclarkdaledelidded.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks, Bookmarked/saved. Also, the fact that there will be moderately priced gufftowns really makes me happy. Definitely helps for those on the fence between the 860 / 920.

why would anyone pay $562 for an i7 870 when you can get a 920+motherboard+ram for that price. I guess if you were uneducated or simply forced into socket 1156 but it makes no sense that an upper end mainstream socket could possibly be more expensive than anything in the enthusiast segment.

why would anyone pay $562 for an i7 870 when you can get a 920+motherboard+ram for that price. I guess if you were uneducated or simply forced into socket 1156 but it makes no sense that an upper end mainstream socket could possibly be more expensive than anything in the enthusiast segment.

Probably because the 870 is faster at 2.93mhz.
I think the real question is why would anyone buy a 870 when the 860 is half the price ($284) but we all know thats the usual price settings for CPUs.
It looks like the 860 will be the next mainstream enthusiast chip ala E6600 E6750 Q6600 E8400...

Oh, and where are 32nm QUADS!? :mad:

So, The link to the 6 core XEON... It says 3x3MB L2 Cache? And 12MB L3 Cache.

To what is this 3x3MB L2 Cache? This would break down to 512k per core.

This is double of what the i7 is @ 256k per core....

Is this correct info? I did not hear about future nehalems doubling L2 cache....

Thanks for putting this together GLSauron; I always forget this stuff and have to scrounge all over the web to find it again!

I'm really eyeing the i7 870. Just don't know if it would be worth the upgrade from E8500 @ 4ghz for gaming though.

I doubt you are going to need to upgrade the E8500 anytime soon. I'm in a similar situation and I think It'll be at least another year before I bother upgrading the E8500. I'll just upgrade my 4870 when the 5xxx comes down in price.

Also, TN!=gaming. TN=non color related work screen IMO.

So, The link to the 6 core XEON... It says 3x3MB L2 Cache? And 12MB L3 Cache.
To what is this 3x3MB L2 Cache? This would break down to 512k per core.
This is double of what the i7 is @ 256k per core....
Is this correct info? I did not hear about future nehalems doubling L2 cache....
The current dunnington 6-core xeons have nothing to do with nehalem. Dunnington is essentially 3 wolfdale-3M dies manufactured on together on one die stuffed with 16MB of L3 (harvested for bad transistors to make a 12MB chip). Thus 3x3MB L2. You can safely forget they ever existed unless you are actively using s604 already.

Gulftown is 256KB/core L2, 12MB L3.

keep my current Q9550 or pick an I7 920 or wait for the I7 860 ... or wait for Sandy Bridge? … I guess we’ll start seeing those soon.

or wait for the 22nm Ivy Bridge!

Q9550? I'd say wait... for sure!

I was predicting not asking, for me I may even stick to the Q9550 even when the 22nm chips comes out and just keep upgrading the video card unless it became a real bottleneck (ya right) or I had the upgrade itch.

Im figuring shrinks (westmere, ivy) for mobile, new micro-arch (nehalem, sandy) for desktop. Keeps you current and you optimize each for their best (shrinks for power usage, new micro for performance)

keep my current Q9550 or pick an I7 920 or wait for the I7 860 ... or wait for Sandy Bridge? … I guess we’ll start seeing those soon.

or wait for the 22nm Ivy Bridge!

Your sig rig looks buff enough to me.
Hell, I'm still going strong with a 3 year old E6600 because the only intensive thing I do is gaming! E6600s are great...

But you should upgrade your 22' monitor. You don't know what you're missing until you move to a big one.

lynnfield sept 6, clarkfield sept 26, arrandale Q4/Q1, gulftown (extreme) Q1/Q2, gulftown (others) Q2/Q3. Best I can do right now.

this might be useful

[IG]http://i26.tinypic.com/28w2zyf.jpg[/IMG]
It would be if it wasn't already proven to be false and misleading. Arrandale is NOT [just, if any] i3. What else is false on that chart?

Great chart GLSauron!
And actually firas did bring up a good point.

860 or the 920 will be the mainstream choices so this will probably be very interesting to see how they stack up against one another. Unless the i5s will be that much faster for almost the same price point.

now with dates.
I think its going to boil down to location and SLI. If you live near a microcenter, $200 920s are worth the slight additional mobo cost. If not, and not using SLI, lynnfield makes more sense.

Rumors put the first gulftown chip at 2.4Ghz. If so, I expect we'll see 133x18(2.4Ghz), up to x30 (4Ghz) for turbo. Huge turbo boost made possible by losing the heat from 5 cores vs 1 under turbo, and 32nm process.

The Core I3's aren't coming out till january? WTF. Please tell me that's not accurate. I want one NOW :)

it could be mid november, thats a traditional launch date for intel. But Im hearing the show in Jan.

I3's are supposed to be the 32nm clarkdale's with 2 cores and 4 HT's. God damnit this sucks if it's true. I've been anticipating that chip.

Sounds like more of a mobile processor to me. Though I suppose you could stick it in an HTPC.

Sounds like more of a mobile processor to me. Though I suppose you could stick it in an HTPC.
clarkdale will make a great business CPU, but yeah, arrandale is a perfect mobile chip.

Im still wondering why the chart isn't answering these questions.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/294/653/kaigai-01.jpg
goto compiles data from his own sources.
It shows we'll see $550/$275 tiers of gulftown, but not until Q3'2010.

It shows gulftown 2h '10 not 3Q '10. It also doesn't differentiate between 6 or 4 core 32nm gulftown. So who knows if we will see a 6 core other than an Extreme chip and the Xeon chips. Anyone's best bet would be to jump on a Xeon chip if they don't want to wait to see if something other than an Extreme chip shows up unless something gets leaked closer to release.

lynnfield sept 6, clarkfield sept 26, arrandale Q4/Q1, gulftown (extreme) Q1/Q2, gulftown (others) Q2/Q3. Best I can do right now.

Interesting that the charts say 9/6 for lynnfield. That's a Sunday. During Labor Day Weekend. Kind of a strange date to launch a product :)

Back