60GB Playstation 3 with YLOD

bboynitrous

2[H]4U
My PS3 just died today and I'm not really mad yet. The system had been running very strong for the past two and a half years. It was a 60GB manufactured in November 2006. I think I should be mad that Sony wants me to pay the flat rate of 150 bucks to fix it, erase my HD, and send it back, but I'm wondering if there's an alternative to this?

I don't know if I really trust anyone else working on it nor do I want to get a refurb from Sony that will only have the same problem in six months while having paid 800 bucks for a system and a repair. I'm also wondering if anyone has had good luck with their refurb'd 60GB PS3's or even just refurbished PS3's in general. I might just end up getting the 150 quick fix from Sony or jump ship to Microsoft if it's worth it. Thanks guys.

I'd get it fixed if they can guarantee you'll get your 60 gig model back. I don't remember what their policy is on that now.

Getting an xbox in addition to the ps3 is always a great option if you like gaming. I did the reverse of you...got a 60 gig ps3 after my 360, and haven't regretted owning either one since then.

There are people on eBay who repair it, also check craigslist for PS3 repairs.

Here's my story about this...

I have a 20gb launch console that I put a 160gb hard drive in. The disc drive in the PS3 goes bad so I call to get it fixed and and I told her about the hard drive I have in it and she said if I return it with that hard drive in it they will return it in it's "original factory specification." That basically means they'll send me a 20gb hard drive back. I tasked her what if I don't have the original hard drive it came with and just send it back without a hard drive since it's the disk drive that's not working. She said the repair technician will not touch it and will return the console without it being repaired.

Well, luckily I had my old hard drive. So, I took my 160gb out and put the 20gb in and sent it out. I got the console back in like 1 1/2 weeks. I pop the 20gb hard drive out and put my 160gb back in and I power the console up and is telling me I need to reformat. So I turn it off, put the 20gb back in and format and everything and get the system up and running. I turn it off again and put the 160gb back in and it's telling me I need to reformat. So I take the hard drive and hook it up to my desktop to see if there's any way I can take the date off there but I can't. Windows won't recognize anything on the drive. It shows the 160gb hard drive but just says it's all "unallocated space" which I guess makes sense since it's diffidently not a windows partition. So, yeah... I reformatted my drive and lost a shit load of save games including Oblivion... and countless others which upset me, but at least my system worked now.

I honestly don't know what to suggest to you since your console doesn't even work. If just your disk drive went bad on yours like mine, I would suggest a backup onto a external hard drive. If you can still get to the main menu diffidently backup your system b/c I guess popping your hard drive in and out does not work.

my blu ray drive failed on my ebayed ps3, sent it back without an hd, it got fixed just the same.

I can't get the thing to even boot up which sucks. I've tried the same thing as you zamardii and had to format my drive in Windows a while back ago so I already lost everything. The only thing I wanted to save was my FFVII game which I put 40 hours into but I have a backup of that (31 hours) so everything else can be lost, again. I wish it were just the blu-ray drive as I could at least get some stuff off but I can't my saved games nor get my GTA IV disk out of the drive. It's stuck in there and I've tried a bunch of times to get it out. What a piece of crap.

I can't get the thing to even boot up which sucks. I've tried the same thing as you zamardii and had to format my drive in Windows a while back ago so I already lost everything. The only thing I wanted to save was my FFVII game which I put 40 hours into but I have a backup of that (31 hours) so everything else can be lost, again. I wish it were just the blu-ray drive as I could at least get some stuff off but I can't my saved games nor get my GTA IV disk out of the drive. It's stuck in there and I've tried a bunch of times to get it out. What a piece of crap.

Yeah, at the end of the day I wasn't too upset about having to reformat but I have my Oblivion save game on there and I had a LOT of gameplay on there and never finished the game. And a LOT of saved games from rented games and my own. I'm going to backup onto my external hard drive from now on.

I think I am only bothered with spending the $150 on the repair to only have it break again six months later. I mean I've already invested so much money into the thing it just seems stupid to throw it away. I could just sell all my blu-ray movies, games and buy a 360 with a bunch of games, that occured to me as well so I don't know.

I think I am only bothered with spending the $150 on the repair to only have it break again six months later. I mean I've already invested so much money into the thing it just seems stupid to throw it away. I could just sell all my blu-ray movies, games and buy a 360 with a bunch of games, that occured to me as well so I don't know.

Why would you do that?

I've seen way more threads and user posts regarding X360 failures than PS3 failures.

60G PS3's run a lot hotter than the current model of PS3's. I also had a launch 60G PS3, bought in Dec 06', which died early 2008 from YLOD. I was somewhat lucky though. I bought my launch PS3 from BestBuy, and spent the extra money on their replacement plan. The best part about BB replacement plan is that if your unit dies during the replacement period, not only was I able to just walk in and walk out with a replacement. But BestBuy also will credit you the difference if there is any price drop from when you originally purchased yours.

So when I went to BB to get my PS3 replaced, they no longer carried 60G models, only the 40 and 80G's. So they ended up giving me a PS3 80G and a $200 gift card. I was ok with this trade. Although I lost BC, the only game I played on my PS3 using BC was GoW2, so it wasn't something I was going to be missing a whole lot. This new PS3 runs a lot cooler and uses less electricity. I've had no issues with it since. Also, I went ahead and had got another replacement plan for this 80G........ so when the slims come out, and there are no more fatties on the shelves, I'll go back in before my plan expires, get it swapped out and if the price drops, get me another gift card.

YLOD is usually caused from overheating. If to much dust builds up inside that already overly hot 60G, then YLOD here you come.

When my PS3 YLOD, I was playing Warhawk and it froze hard. I went up to it to manually turn it off and turn it on, when it tried booting up, it would give me a green light for a second, then quickly go to the blinking yellow light. I had bought the disc version of Warhawk, so like your GTA4 disc, it was stuck in there. It only took me 2 tries to get the disc out. I just held my finger on the eject button, used another finger to power it on. First time didn't do anything, powered off, tried again, while still holding the eject button down. Sure enough the game disc came out, then it quickly went back to the blinking yellow light. This is what I suggest to get your disc out, good luck!

Well I just cleaned it out a couple weeks ago with a compressor powered air blower alongside my computer for about 15-20 minutes. Maybe it still could have been. Vents and everything were clean but who knows. I might just go ahead and get this fixed from Sony. You're right Baker, I would be crazy to jump over with all the failures on the 360 side. I was thinking the new 360's were a little better, just maybe. A 360 backup wouldn't be a bad choice in case this happens again. Thanks a lot guys, I made my decision now.

The one problem I had with the whole repair of my PS3 was that they only offer a 90 day warranty on the repair... and after spending $150 on repairing a console I already spent $400 on, I would expect at least a year. I was lucky when my 360 failed (it's a launch console too) because that was right around when Microsoft extended their warranty and sent me back a $150 check for the repair and was covered for a additional 2 years after that I think.

Yeah in my original post I explained that was part of the problem I had. I didn't want to invest 800 bucks into the thing to only have it break again outside of the 90 day repair warranty. It's a really crappy warranty. I mean, what happens if it breaks again, would I have to shell out another $150? That's no good. Money is kind of tight and I've playing the PS3 more often now to sit at home and try to save cash, not throw it away heh.

FYI....for people buying more costly electronics...at least get a CC that extends your warranty by a year for free. For example...the citibank world card does just that. Spending $300+ on something that really isn't "disposable" for you isn't too smart.

Back