Noctua NF-S12B\NF-P12 or Sycthe S-FLEX\Gentle Typhoon Cooling fans

DJ XtAzY

n00b
My current fans in my system is too loud and doesnt push enough airflow. I want to buy new fans but can't decide on which one:

• Noctua NF-S12B
  • Noctua NF-P12
  • Scythe Gentle Typhoon B5AP-15
  • Scythe S-FLEX

Here's a comparison chart from xbitlabs

10diagrcfmdbabig.png

Now I also looked at other reviews too. Some say Noctua are the best. Some say Scythe. Most ppl recommend sflex but that chart doesnt seem like the airflow is good. Noctua sounds really good due to their design and their claims, but it seems the Gentle Typhoon is the best one out of my list. Any suggestions?

And budget is not a problem, but I want the best airflow-to-noise ratio that will lower my temperatures as well.

Last edited:
Noctua are good fans, but have a steep price, if you are looking for best CFM to noise, that's going to be the Slipstream fans. However, they are only good for use a case fans because of their low pressure (they also should not be mounted horizontally), S-Flex are next on the list, they do great and have a smooth sound, you can't just go by the amount of noise, because the kind of noise also has a large impact on how "loud" it seems. Are these going to be used as case fans or on a HS/Rad setup?

Also, you might want to host that image yourself, it's against the rules (and just not nice) to hotlink images.

I had it hosted on imagashack now. Hope that's ok.

I have the SilverStone TJ10 case and I'm planning to replace the fans from the exhaust and intake (vertical), and one fan where it cools my HD's (horizontal). I have two more empty fan slots at the top vent of my case, but I'll probably leave it as it is.

In my case I use 2 Slipstream fans as front intakes, and another on the rear for exhaust, with two S-Flex fans for top exhaust. With all them running at less than 800rpm, I can hear my HDD's over them. I would get all S-Flex if you have the money, or at least them for the top fans, and use the money saved on them over the Noctua fans and get a nice controller.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's just my case tends to get warm a bit, so I want to get some nice performance fans! Anyone else have suggestions?

How are those noise levels measured? That doesn't make sense. A lot of those fans listed are supposed to be sub 25dB.

Slipstream and Gentle Typhoon fans will be the quietest/most efficient in an open air situation (ie. not mounted on a heatsink) ...

Which is why i'm debating whether to get S-FLEX or Gentle Typhoon for the case =]. The Gentle Typhoon is slowly getting my vote. I think I'll use 2 Noctua NF-P12 (cause of really good static pressure?) for the thermalright ultra extreme cpu cooler using push-pull method, unless there there's a better fan for that cooler.

For the HS I would be tempted to get the GT, as the test shows they did quite well, and that test is for resistance (having to pull through a rad) and why the Slipstream did so poor, since they only really shine as case fans.

Back