WD TLER for Green drives in Raid

awdrifter3

n00b
Originally Posted by WD
Attached is the WD TLER Utility. You’ll need to perform the following steps to enable TLER on our SATA drives. Please do not share, post, or distribute this utility. We are sending you the software to see if it works in your situation.

1) Create a DOS-bootable floppy

Title: Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
URL: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...s/renken1.mspx

2) Unzip the contents of “WDTLER.zip” to the boot floppy
3) Insert the boot floppy into the computer with the WD SATA drives
4) Boot the computer off the floppy
5) At the DOS prompt, type “TLER-ON” and press ENTER
6) Wait for the program to finish and then remove the boot floppy
7) Restart the computer with the WD SATA drives

Note: This utility will change every drive attached. Disconnect any drives that you do not want to be changed.

Just so that you are aware, this utility may not be able to read drives on some controllers. If the utility fails, please try the drive on a different controller and see if the utility is successful.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Supposely these are the instructions from an WD email. I've found the WD TLER utility, but I've also found some people said the TLER should be turned off in a Raid set up. So which is correct? Should I turn it on or off? Thanks.

TLER should be turned ON in a RAID array as long as it is not a RAID 0.

Because they are cheap, and Raid0 will give me decent performance. The RE edition drives from WD are a rip off. I guess I'll try it with TLER on and off and see which way works the best.

But the point of green drives are low performance and the price for black drives are similar price to green.

Get 2 640 aaks and run them in raid 0 and have the greens for storage

Because they are cheap, and Raid0 will give me decent performance. The RE edition drives from WD are a rip off. I guess I'll try it with TLER on and off and see which way works the best.

with raid turn it on and set it for 7 seconds

04-10-08_1321.jpg

if u do not raid then leave it off.

2.png

The RE drives are 7200RPM and are much faster overall. You get what you pay for...the Green drives are somewhere between 5400 and 7200 RPM and are intended for storage applications, not OS drives.

Anyway, glad you got your question answered :)

Is there any benefit to using the TLER utility when the drive is in a JBOD storage pool such as WHS?

Is there any benefit to using the TLER utility when the drive is in a JBOD storage pool such as WHS?

No. It's unless you intend to use RE model HDD in a WHS pool without being in raid. I think in a previous thread, you would want to turn TLER off if yrou used an RE in a non-RAID situation.

I believe WD no longer give out the utility even if you email them. But you can still find it from various sources.

there's a bootable WD TLER and WDIDLE3 boot disc on rapidshare. pm me for link.

i used it to set WDIDLE3 to 25.5s (vs default 8s) and enabled TLER for my RAID setup. only had 1 drive drop out since then and i put it back in and it has been fine since.

Back