Dell 2408WFP A02 vs 2209WA A01 (Input Lag Tested)

gar818

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so there has been alot of talks putting down the 2408wfp in terms of input lag. For one input lag varies from person to person. Some people will tell you it affects them, some people will tell you they have never felt anything out of the normal. Also depends on the game you play really, also there is the placebo affect, once your read about it, you look for it so hard that you actually convince yourself input lag exists, its kind of like "micro stuttering". So i have both monitors at home and decided to do some input lag tests, the results are very impressive and might shock many of you that have been putting the 2408wfp down as a gaming monitor, well it keeps up with the 2209wa which is considered to have very little to no input lag at all. Both monitors have strong points and weak points.

Dell 2408WFP A02 Left, Dell 2209WA A01 Right

Last edited:
You've done the tags wrong for the pictures in this forum. Use these tags to insert images [ IMG ] url [ /IMG ]. Remove the spaces in between the brackets.
Also it's REALLY hard to see the numbers on those two pics you showed.

Use this website to set up your input lag pictures.
http://tft.vanity.dk/
http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html

It's pretty much the standard testing device for input lag.

the links you send me are the same test in an HTML full screen mode, i dont see what the difference would be, and the pictures have been fixed.

EDIT: Added more tests with full screen test, same results.

Last edited:
Ok Nm I was talking about these pics.

img06621277x958.jpg

It's still difficult to make out the numbers in the pics even on the standard green display tests. Perhaps the shutter speed of the camera is the issue here.

In actuality the average lag of the A02 2408WFP is measured around 33 ms. That's 2 FPS on average. And the 2209WA is about 20ms. That's 1.5 FPS lost on average. I think what might contribute to the 2408WA 'feeling' slower is that it might have more times when the lag exceeds 33 and gets into the 45+ 3fps lost territory and then people really notice. People have different sensitivity to input lag. Congrats on owning both monitors btw. Those both are nice in their own ways.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa-part14.html#Lag

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but those pictures are useless. I can't see anything but a mess of numbers. You need a faster shutter speed, at least 1/200.

Even then, some of the pictures still manage to show the 2408WFP is behind the 2209WA.

That one shows the 2209WA drawing the 4 while the 2408WFP still has the 2 on the screen. The wheel on the right is also at least two ticks ahead on the 2209WA. Several other pictures also show the same results. The 2408WFP doesn't keep up with the 2209WA at all.

Yeah, both have ups and downs, im keeping the 2408wfp at home, and 2209wa will go to my office.

I'm sorry, but those pictures are useless. I can't see anything but a mess of numbers. You need a faster shutter speed, at least 1/200.

Even then, some of the pictures still manage to show the 2408WFP is behind the 2209WA.

That one shows the 2209WA drawing the 4 while the 2408WFP still has the 2 on the screen. The wheel on the right is also at least two ticks ahead on the 2209WA. Several other pictures also show the same results. The 2408WFP doesn't keep up with the 2209WA at all.

Actually if you look at most pictures very closely, you can see there is no difference at all, im not going to go out and buy a $1000 camera to do a input lag tests, im working with what i have, its a Canon SD790IS, 10MP camera.

No, most of the pictures do show a difference, especially in the spinning wheel. You don't need a fancy camera to set the shutter speed. Your Canon should be able to do it.

There is definitely a difference between both of them, I've used the 2408 and can tell it lags behind my 3065 (more profound difference than these two but still applicable).

If you have a sports mode, try that if you can't find shutter speed.

EDIT: Most of the do show a difference, and quite a difference in some.

Last edited:
vjcsmoke said:
In actuality the average lag of the A02 2408WFP is measured around 33 ms. That's 2 FPS on average. And the 2209WA is about 20ms. That's 1.5 FPS lost on average. I think what might contribute to the 2408WA 'feeling' slower is that it might have more times when the lag exceeds 33 and gets into the 45+ 3fps lost territory and then people really notice. People have different sensitivity to input lag. Congrats on owning both monitors btw. Those both are nice in their own ways.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa-part14.html#Lag
The prad results for the Dell 2209WA are totally wrong. Any time someone uses that flatpanels.dk timer and gets a multiple of 10 ms, the results are always way off.

Several people have shown the Dell 2209WA has no lag:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034028590&postcount=1263
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6010637&postcount=66
http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-monitors/977623-dell-2209wa-e-ips-monitor-review.html

Lag doesn't vary either. It's the testing methods that are flawed. All monitors have a consistent amount of lag. The lag on the Dell 2408WFP A02 is most likely around 35-40 ms based on the results I've seen.

I was just googling for some recent tests myself as I am playing around with the idea of replacing my 2405fpw with a newer monitor and had heard that the input lag was pretty bad on the 2408. True, not sure if I can even tell if it was there but still worth considering when comparing against something like the HP LP2475.

So, on average the 2408 isn't behind most monitors as it used to be, good to know.

Wow, those pics are completely useless. And you really didn't need so many of the same.
I think you need to learn your camera a little more ;) I guess we were all n00bs once though :D

Whoa whoa whoa, let's try and keep it positive.

My .02 on the pics:

1) With a camera that you described, it sounds like you just need to change the modes to shoot better shots. It's a Canon camera, a nice one at that, it should have a mode called Tv (which gives shutter speed priority). The pictures will be a little darker, but still usable.

2) You need to post them bigger than that, those pics looked like thumbnail size to me. Shouldn't be an issue.

And for the person who said ~33ms / 2 frames is average on the 2408WFP for input lag, my tests show otherwise. I get specifically 30.58333...ms average or 1.8 frames a second. I read the test procedure for most sites, and they use 10 pictures with a camera to test input lag, I used 24, so I can't see how my results would be worse. If anything, the mode was 31ms, so round it up, call it 31ms lag, it's still 1.8 frames behind.

If the 2209WA A01 is supposed to me 20ms lag on average, then the two monitors are going to seem very close to the same, if not identical in actual use.

Regarding the camera info, you are bang on, but in regards to monitor speed, the 2209WA is far faster in regards to input lag than the 2408WFP.

Compared to my NEC LCD2690WUXI which is around 30ms input lag, the 2209WA is noticeably first to respond, so I'd have to disagree on that one. In turn I can see a slight difference between my NEC and my other Dell, the 2709W which is around 40ms input lag, so even half a frame can be noticed by a keen eye.

Not saying everyone will notice, but I do, so to me it's substantial enough.

Cheers.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's try and keep it positive.

My .02 on the pics:

1) With a camera that you described, it sounds like you just need to change the modes to shoot better shots. It's a Canon camera, a nice one at that, it should have a mode called Tv (which gives shutter speed priority). The pictures will be a little darker, but still usable.

2) You need to post them bigger than that, those pics looked like thumbnail size to me. Shouldn't be an issue.

And for the person who said ~33ms / 2 frames is average on the 2408WFP for input lag, my tests show otherwise. I get specifically 30.58333...ms average or 1.8 frames a second. I read the test procedure for most sites, and they use 10 pictures with a camera to test input lag, I used 24, so I can't see how my results would be worse. If anything, the mode was 31ms, so round it up, call it 31ms lag, it's still 1.8 frames behind.

If the 2209WA A01 is supposed to me 20ms lag on average, then the two monitors are going to seem very close to the same, if not identical in actual use.

Regarding the camera info, you are bang on, but in regards to monitor speed, the 2209WA is far faster in regards to input lag than the 2408WFP.

Compared to my NEC LCD2690WUXI which is around 30ms input lag, the 2209WA is noticeably first to respond, so I'd have to disagree on that one. In turn I can see a slight difference between my NEC and my other Dell, the 2709W which is around 40ms input lag, so even half a frame can be noticed by a keen eye.

Not saying everyone will notice, but I do, so to me it's substantial enough.

Cheers.

Guess it depends if you can detect ~11ms difference in a monitor or 0.66 frames per second worth of difference. Or you could look at it from the state of mind that the input lag in the 2408WFP is ~50% worse. Whatever floats your boat.

Guess it depends if you can detect ~11ms difference in a monitor or 0.66 frames per second worth of difference. Or you could look at it from the state of mind that the input lag in the 2408WFP is ~50% worse. Whatever floats your boat.

That's if it were 11ms though. The average input lag of the 2209WA in the worst listings I've seen is 9ms, which is 20ms or more faster than the 2408WFP Revision A01 and later.

That's if it were 11ms though. The average input lag of the 2209WA in the worst listings I've seen is 9ms, which is 20ms or more faster than the 2408WFP Revision A01 and later.

Ah, well that's data I didn't have; people's listings and reviews I had seen showed 20ms avg for the 2209WA not 9ms. If it's 9ms, then there would be a much bigger difference.

New pictures with faster shutter speed, does indeed show the 2209WA to be faster.

Back