budget keyboard

dwalx

n00b
im in the market for a new keyboard
my budget is 50 bucks
i will mostly be using it for everyday use and some gaming

any suggestion guys?

i use a 10.00 dell keyboard. you have any requirements??? usb? ps2? some sort of quick launch buttons?illuminated keys? you want wireless?

mechanical switches?

Rubber dome switches in most keyboards, Logitech, Microsoft, etc:
rubberdome.jpg

Mechanical switches in the M1:
blackxm.jpg

While the feel of switches is a matter of preference, mechanical switches will last much longer than rubber domes.

I use the free Dell keyboards that come with their PC systems. We order 3 PC's a year for work and I nab a keyboard or two. They have a decent feel and don't take up a lot of space.

Mouse... now there's another story.

I'm currently typing on a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126018. It does what it needs to do. Although my favorite keyboard of all time is still one I got from a thrift store for a buck fifty, it was like using a typewriter when writing papers. It made me feel like I was typing really important documents.

I think for my next machine I will be unable to resist throwing in a http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/a85c/ . It's so much easier buying something like that as an accessory to a big purchase than trying to justify buying a $150 keyboard by itself.

I'm currently typing on a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126018. It does what it needs to do. Although my favorite keyboard of all time is still one I got from a thrift store for a buck fifty, it was like using a typewriter when writing papers. It made me feel like I was typing really important documents.

I think for my next machine I will be unable to resist throwing in a http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/a85c/ . It's so much easier buying something like that as an accessory to a big purchase than trying to justify buying a $150 keyboard by itself.

that thinkgeek thing is cool, but ridiculously expensive for what it is

although, I do have to say, $150 for that vs ~$60-$90 or the average lighted keyboard that can do blue or red or maybe a few inbetween colors, seems a lot better "value" (its like saying a Ferrari is a better "value" than a Porsche, because it seats more people or has a bigger trunk though)

Rubber dome switches in most keyboards, Logitech, Microsoft, etc:
rubberdome.jpg

Mechanical switches in the M1:
blackxm.jpg

While the feel of switches is a matter of preference, mechanical switches will last much longer than rubber domes.

Damn that's what I need. My $10 keyboard is using the stupid rubber dome and it's dying so quickly and loss it springiness and becoming sticky.

But how do we know if the more expensive keyboard that we'll buying is using something much better than the rubber dome? All I need is just a simple keyboard with a lasting springy buttons for my move buttons that isn't using the stupid rubber dome.

Last edited:
If only there were ergonomically shaped mechanical switch keyboards. I haven't seen a decent ergonomic slim scissor switch keyboard either.

But how do we know if the more expensive keyboard that we'll buying is using something much better than the rubber dome? All I need is just a simple keyboard with a lasting springy buttons for my move buttons that isn't using the stupid rubber dome.

Most mechanical switches have lifespans of 10 million to 50 million keypresses (the ABS M1 is rated at 20 million) while rubber domes are usually somewhere in the area of 1 million. Mechanical switches also have a different feel to them which you may find preferable (there is a wide variety of mechanical switches so you there is probably at least one that fits your taste).

If only there were ergonomically shaped mechanical switch keyboards. I haven't seen a decent ergonomic slim scissor switch keyboard either.
Cherry G80-5000, Model M15, Northgate Evolution, Kinesis keyboards, etc. Ergo mechanical boards do exist.

Most mechanical switches have lifespans of 10 million to 50 million keypresses (the ABS M1 is rated at 20 million) while rubber domes are usually somewhere in the area of 1 million. Mechanical switches also have a different feel to them which you may find preferable (there is a wide variety of mechanical switches so you there is probably at least one that fits your taste).

Cherry G80-5000, Model M15, Northgate Evolution, Kinesis keyboards, etc. Ergo mechanical boards do exist.

Yeah,but the problem is that most local computer stores doesn't carry mechanical switch keyboards. Geez, I remembered I use to own a couple of IBM model M keyboard and there were a whole bunch of them selling for like $5 at a use junk section and now it's going for $50!

I'm going to try and find if there are any IBM model M keyboard lying around at some local computer stores. Need to find some antique electronic stores.

Yeah,but the problem is that most local computer stores doesn't carry mechanical switch keyboards. Geez, I remembered I use to own a couple of IBM model M keyboard and there were a whole bunch of them selling for like $5 at a use junk section and now it's going for $50!

I'm going to try and find if there are any IBM model M keyboard lying around at some local computer stores. Need to find some antique electronic stores.

Yup, it does suck that no B&M computer stores in NA sell mechanical keyboards. I bought keyboards for each switch type that interested me; not the cheapest way of doing things, but it is pretty much the only way of finding your favorite. Ended up spending over $1000 on keyboards since I started buying mechanicals (10 months or so). :eek:

Try taking a look at some thrift stores when searching for a Model M, a lot of people find them there (though I haven't been so lucky).

Fabulous. Looks like it's going to take some effort to get my hands on those though. Definitely going to take some cash as well. I'm going to have to take a look. Thanks!

I use a $1 keyboard I got from the university surplus store....have no problems spending duckets on a nice mouse though...

I would pick up one of those g11's for $50> on ebay though

I picked up a used G15 rev.1 via ebay + coupon type deal for like $35.

Replaced my Saitek Eclipse (1) which was developing a lot of sticky keys (caps/shift/arrow key would "stick" down). It actually was my wife's Red Eclipse, as my first blue one did the same (and got really dim through the years).

Been liking it so far. I especially like all the macro keys on the left side. I use the bottom 6-key as a replacement arrow / WASD. Better ergonomics. :D

Those mechanical keyboards are cool though. Just don't fit my needs.

Last edited:
If the quality is any good, that ABS keyboard is pretty much exactly what I want.

The build quality is top notch. All the switches are mounted on a metal plate so the board has no flex whatsoever. The case is made of some rather rugged plastic as well. Great board for the price, brand new mechanical keyboards don't get much, if any cheaper than these. Not to mention this board is made by the same OEM as Filco and Das keyboards.

I'm a huge fan of the old school style KeyTronic keyboards. Pretty sure they're mechanical, they have a lifetime warranty, and they're built to last. When we had them at my office and one failed, we'd call them up and they'd send us out a new one ASAP, they only ask that we mail back the cut off USB connector.

Back