Samsung XL2370

furio

n00b
The Samsung XL2370 is starting to appear on some stores with a shipping date of around mid August. Anyone got detailed specs? Inputs etc?

If it has DVI+HDMI this might finally be the upgrade for my 226BW.

There's some large photos here but you seem to need an accout to view.

But what kind of panel is it?

If it's a TN LED panel, I have doubts of the performance.
The only thing it would have over the Dell G2410 would then be... an HDMI port.

2ms response suggests TN, but I don't really know that much about LED-tv tech.

I hope it somehow turns out to be spectacular because right now edge-lit LED displays are just a tech that I don't see the real benefit of at all.

That does seem to suggest TN, but the other XL monitors, the XL20, XL24 and XL30 have been uber-high end RGB LED backlit pro-oriented PVAs. I don't know if they'd call a TN panel by that name.

If what I've heard is correct, there's no real advantage to edge-lit LED backlights over florescent back lights except that screens with the tech can be made very thin (or perhaps it improves color purity?). In a monitor that will sit on a desk on a stand anyway, thinness is probably moot except for the coolness factor and lighter weight. If that's not an issue for you, there probably is no real advantage. Me, I went with an FW900. ;-)

AFAIK it will be in the same price range as the F2380 which has a cPVA panel with a 8ms (g2g) response time and a regular CCFL backlight, so the XL2370 probably has a TN panel, and so they charge high for the LED backlight and the buzz...

Heard Samsung promotes this monitor as the "highest performance 1080p monitor" which is pathetic if it is really a TN screen, even if it has a LED backlight (on the edges, so there is no even zones)...

Then I think wise people would buy the F2380 instead, but it seems Samsung is going to trick many people into buying the XL2370...

Look at the contrast ratio, 5M:1

I wonder what size it is, and I don't like the1920x1080 resolution would rather have the 1920x1200.

Since I have a 226BW also and want 2MS for gaming, this looks like it may be my 226BW replacement also.

The specified dynamic contrast ratio is meaningless in this case. LED backlights can be dimmed to full off when the screen goes black, making it an inifinite contrast ratio, essentially, but this only works when measuring full on/ full off. If a single white pixel is on, the backlight must be on, and then, I'd guess, the true contrast ratio will be in the low thousands, like a normal LCD.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitor&subtype=syncmaster&model_cd=LS-XL2370KF

Looks nice.

Display Screen Size 23"
Brightness (Typical) 250 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio (Typical) MEGA DCR
Resolution Resolution 1920 * 1080
Response speed (Typical) 2ms (G2G)
Viewing Angle (Horizontal / Vertical) 170 ˚ / 160 ˚ (CR> 10)
Color Supported 16.7M
Input Signal Video Analog RGB / DVI / HDMI
Sync. Signal Separate H / V, Composite, SOG
Input DVI-I/HDMI/Optical Out / Audio out

Last edited:
Well at least it's showing up on one of Samsung's websites. The P2370L never showed up anywhere so this is a good sign that it might not be vaporware!

Also, the addition of HDMI + 2 different audio outputs is very nice. It's also good to know for sure that this is TN so it will probably be available in some brick and mortar stores (Best Buy probably since they are heavily marketing the LED TVs).

The solid glass stand looks very NON-adjustable. And from the response time it looks like this is a TN LED, much like the Dell G2410. So I guess it's much ado about nothing unless it brings some other outstanding qualities to the table upon testing.

The solid glass stand looks very NON-adjustable. And from the response time it looks like this is a TN LED, much like the Dell G2410. So I guess it's much ado about nothing unless it brings some other outstanding qualities to the table upon testing.

it looks as adjustable as any other run-of-the-mill TN panel.

Also, the viewing angles are also a giveaway that it's a TN panel.

Also, I think the stand is acrylic, not glass.

it looks as adjustable as any other run-of-the-mill TN panel.

Also, the viewing angles are also a giveaway that it's a TN panel.

Also, I think the stand is acrylic, not glass.

Sorry I just like having adjustable stands. I guess I'm spoiled.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-33-3...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247531289&sr=8-2

And every monitor with vesa you ever buy will have an adjustable stand.

However not every monitor you can buy has VESA mounting.
And there's no indication that the Samsung XL2370 comes with that built in.
If you can find a website that indicates that this model has VESA mounting I'd stand slightly corrected.

But it would also increase the price of the monitor by $50 just to get a decent stand attached to it.
It would be much nicer to have a monitor that already came with a good adjustable stand since you're already paying several hundred dollars.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
However not every monitor you can buy has VESA mounting.
And there's no indication that the Samsung XL2370 comes with that built in.
If you can find a website that indicates that this model has VESA mounting I'd stand slightly corrected.

But it would also increase the price of the monitor by $50 just to get a decent stand attached to it.
It would be much nicer to have a monitor that already came with a good adjustable stand since you're already paying several hundred dollars.

So you would rather the manufacturer increase the cost $50 for a stand of your liking when you're buying a monitor. I don't see how hard it is to allow for that in your budget. That seems like only picking a car because it comes in a certain color or not. Or if the cd player can hold 6 CDs or one. You could buy an after-market radio to hold more CDs if you wanted.

As for the monitor, I'm glad that they are coming out with audio-out ports when also supplying HDMI ports. Seems like a pointless thing to do to supply one without the other, since HDMI's purpose is to supply both audio and video in one cable/stream.

Doesn't look like there are any VESA holes on the back like my 226BW.

k71466p2n9.jpg

Only thing I don't like about this monitor from what I've seen so far is they've made the monitor slimmer, but moved the power supply to a brick, it's much tidier all in one.

Looks like the XL2370 will cost around 25% more than the Dell G2410 here. The HDMI port makes that worth it for me (as long as both the DVI and HDMI have HDCP), and it looks much nicer as well.

Doesn't look like there are any VESA holes on the back like my 226BW.

k71466p2n9.jpg

Only thing I don't like about this monitor from what I've seen so far is they've made the monitor slimmer, but moved the power supply to a brick, it's much tidier all in one.

Looks like the XL2370 will cost around 25% more than the Dell G2410 here. The HDMI port makes that worth it for me (as long as both the DVI and HDMI have HDCP), and it looks much nicer as well.

I've never heard of any piece of hardware with HDMI that didn't have HDCP. Don't the 2 go hand in hand ideally?

I mean, it would be pretty absurd if it wasn't HDCP. It's being advertised as their PREMIUM LCD monitor with LED technology, so I'm assuming that HDCP is part of this premium tech.

p4gs said:
I've never heard of any piece of hardware with HDMI that didn't have HDCP. Don't the 2 go hand in hand ideally?

I mean, it would be pretty absurd if it wasn't HDCP. It's being advertised as their PREMIUM LCD monitor with LED technology, so I'm assuming that HDCP is part of this premium tech.
Yeah I agree I was meaning more I hope that the DVI port has HDCP as well, so I can still play Blu-ray via the PC and have a console connected to the HDMI.

So is CPVA better or worse than normal PVA? Cos a lot of the screenshots of the monitor in action vs a Dell 2209WA don't look very flattering for the new Sammy.

PS That stand is horrible. Zero adjustability for their new PREMIUM monitor product?

cPVA is a cheaper to manufacture version of a PVA panel. Similar to an e-IPS panel being an "economic" version of a standard IPS panel.

So is CPVA better or worse than normal PVA? Cos a lot of the screenshots of the monitor in action vs a Dell 2209WA don't look very flattering for the new Sammy.

If equally adjusted, cPVA can be better due to standard gamut vs wide gamut on "normal" PVA..

That stand is horrible. Zero adjustability for their new PREMIUM monitor product?[/

This is not a premium product. This is just another TN.
Samsung does not produce premium monitors.
The only a sort of serious model they have is 275T-Plus.
All the rest is countless plankton.
This stand is normal for plankton.

anyone who hasn't realized that this TN panel will never satisfy their videophile needs should probably stay away from this thread

If we pay €350 in Europe, you will pay $350 in the US.

Electronic equipment is VERY expensive in Europe.

No vesa mounts, crappy stand, TN viewing angles, I have no idea why anybody would be interested in this thing unless it was being given away for nearly free.

No vesa mounts, crappy stand, TN viewing angles, I have no idea why anybody would be interested in this thing unless it was being given away for nearly free.

Vesa Mounts: a minority of people use swivel arms, wall mounts, or stands with rotation on their computer monitors.

Crappy Stand: See above.

TN Viewing Angles: A majority of people rarely view their computer screen from an angle that isn't head on. Also, people tend not to sit on the floor looking upward that their monitor; rather, they use a chair or stool of sorts to prop themselves up so their line of sight is nearly perpendicular to the surface of the monitor.

I would say that the color reproduction quality is definitely a downside to the monitor (when considering how much it will cost).

Even with head on you don't get the same picture quality on whole screen with TNs.No one saying that you souldn't get it just pointing the issues coming with this kind of panels.

So I'm assuming Samsung lied and this isn't going to be released in August anymore even though it's been released in about 8-10 other countries???

Kind of gay

This has to be one of the worst product launches in history.

I'm almost expecting it to be announced again at the 2010 CES.

From Cnet:

"Samsung also informed me that a release of the LED-based XL2370 is imminent and that I should also be receiving an evaluation unit soon. This is the long-anticipated LED version of the Samsung 2370 I reviewed a few months back."

He wrote that on August 26 which is very recent.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10318232-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

Couldn't be more vague... This is getting pretty annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to release it during the holidays in order to make better sales or some shit.

Samsung is wasting time releasing petty crap like an 18.5" Lapfit monitor (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...tors&subtype=essential&model_cd=LS19LFYGFR/ZA) and putting off the XL2370, which has been released in a bunch of other countries which probably don't have as high of a demand for this monitor as the USA (except Korea and Singapore probably).

LAME

This is purely speculation, but my guess is that the Samsung marketing people don't know what to do with this thing. They probably guessed since thin LED TVs sell great, thin monitors must sell just as well, too. Plus, 5 million DCR sounds great in numbers!

But thin is not really an important point to desktop screens and the buyers at the "premium" price point they want to hit are not as stupid to fall for the DCR game and TN. Now that they have a working model, it looks thin but just as crappy as any other TN because without something special like local dimming, it has no higher quality to offer. LG's e-ips is now hitting the market and demand looks much higher than expected (Dell 2209WA) so there will be no comparison in quality at least with respect to blogs/reviews, which they will probably not fare very well at.

That said its a good looking monitor aesthetics-wise and if it hits Best Buy with the right shelf placement, the sheeple will purchase.

Expect this monitor coming soon. It's listed in the BBY stock system as cheaper than we thought

Double Post:

I just heard from a very reliable source that the XL2370 has a release date of September 20/21 in USA retail stores. It will cost approximately $300.

Wow! A $300 street price seems low. I was guessing around $350. The good news is that all signs point to availability later this month.

Back