Solved my GTX295 nvlddmkm.dll problem

Vincent Vega

Limp Gawd
I got a new evga GTX295 coop card a few days ago, love the performance increase. This morning, while playing COD4&5, I was ailed by repeated driver crashes. I have the latest 186.18 drivers, running Vista 64.

Tried a different driver, different PSU, tried other RAM, same problem.

I was ready to RMA the card to EVGA, when I realized I could try to bump the fan speed up from the default 40% to 80% via Rivatuner.

Voila. No more crashes.

The temperature reading previously was around 65 degrees only while gaming, I am surprised that the card even gave troubles at that temperature.

look at your memoryIO temperature..

that is the main one that always give the crash...

I am thinking on RMAing my EVGA for the same reason. If I leave it at stock it will start artifacting. I need to make sure that my shaders are exactly two times my core speed and that my fan speed is at least 80 to prevent it from crashing.
I have a HAF932 so air flow is now a problem.

Meh, the issue got worse and worse, eventually even desktop apps would crash the driver. Tried driver sweeper, 4 different drivers, same result. RMAing today.

I had the same problem on my EVGA GTX 295+, needed higher-than-auto fan speeds to not freeze in games.

RMA'd painlessly to EVGA, and the replacement runs great. Overclocks to 620 core, 1220 mem at very slightly bumped volts using EVGA's overvolt app.

Hmmm my GTX295 has been giving me this Error for the last 2 months, i should do something about it... :(

My 8800 Gtx had this issue and still does because i am to lazy to RMA the thing. But from my experience it is a Hardware issue. The only thing that stopped it for me was under-clocking the card and keeping fan at 100%.

The fact that the fan speed solved your issue only reinforces the idea that the card requires RMA. You are only delaying the problem, but it will pop up again.

Save yourself the agony and just RMA the card you will be glad you did. Every once in a while you wind up with a bad graphics card. I've had similar issues with graphics cards and replacing the card totally eliminates the problem. There is nothing worse than having an unstable system.

Yah i got the card stable for now by lowering clock speeds and increasing fan speeds, just holding out on the RMA until i get my new system up. I dont have a card to replace the 8800 with for now.

About 60-65 non games. I have 3 gtx 280'd which run hot and 1 9800 gt. Its heat monster. I have 3 3000 rpm fans to keep it cool.

The fan speed on a system I put together with a PNY GTX 295 never goes above 41% and has yet to crash. I also pulled it completely apart and used some TX-2 thermal grease. :D But it never had a problem before changing the TIM. I just did it for better overclocking performance and to keep the computer quieter.

The fan speed on a system I put together with a PNY GTX 295 never goes above 41% and has yet to crash. I also pulled it completely apart and used some TX-2 thermal grease. :D But it never had a problem before changing the TIM. I just did it for better overclocking performance and to keep the computer quieter.

Wouldn't that void the warranty?

Back