How are the Bose Companion 3 Series II Multimedia Speaker ?

Hanif

Limp Gawd
Looking for something form factor with good bass

Currently using Polk RM10s 5.1 and a HSU subwoofer with Onkyo A/V receiver. Might sell it because I am switching to a gaming pc rig. Or keep the Onkyo A/V receiver with HSU and buy Mirage Nano speakers for 2.1.

Or buy these Bose speakers since I will be switching from ps3 to pc
thanks

optionally i can go for the Logitech 200-Watt Computer Speakers With THX (Z-2300)

Last edited:
Bose products are complete crap for the price. If you want to go 2.1, then get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers/monitors, and you will be set since you already have a great sub. I wouldn't recommend Mirage Nanosats either.

Give us a budget, and we can help you find a good pair of speakers.

they are surrounds, not mains. they aren't designed as front speakers and will sound like crap if you try to use them that way.

Hanif I am wondering about this thread being so similar to your last one. You seem to be especially interested in Bose in both your previous thread and in the Audioholics thread.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419454
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55534

In both cases the reply was unanimous to avoid Bose. Is there a reason you specifically want Bose? Also, was the suggestions given by others in the above threads not satisfactory for you? Just curious why you opened a new thread of similar message.

First off, you should get an Auzentek X-Fi sound card since your primary interest is gaming.

Second, you should either just upgrade the speakers to a reputable brand of bookshelves/studio monitor or go with the cheapo z-2300's and see how you like them. If you're seriously considering Bose, you either are looking at the cosmetics and thinking they look pretty or you think they look pretty and want them to be the speakers that you want them to be, but it's unlikely to satisfy you if you want good audio.

If all you care about is bass, to the neglect of any other consideration, buy a Creative X-Fi (cheaper) and the Logitech z-2300's. You won't get good sound, but you'll get a lot of bass.

Otherwise, stop making new threads just to ask the same question repeatedly both here and around the internet ("Is Bose Good?") while somehow expecting a different answer. People have repeatedly answered this for you, namely that Bose is a very poor investment for quality/money.

You seem to want our seal of approval for buying Bose, but you aren't going to get it. So either go out, get them and be done with it, or answer our questions for clarification so we can provide you with good recommendations.

What is your price range? Answer that and we can help you. Right now it just sounds like you desperately want someone to come out and tell you that Bose live up to their marketting, but they don't.

Price Range - $240-$300

M-Audio, Swans, Audioengine, where can I find these speakers? I noticed these bookshelf speakers have subwoofers built in as well.

For M-Audio, there are a number of distributors including Sweetwater and Guitar Center (Vanns may have it as well, I forget).

For Audioengine, you can check their website for resellers.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/resellers.htm

For Swans, I think their exclusive distributor is The AudioInsiders.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php

I am not sure which model you mean that comes with a sub. The M10 by Swan does come with a woofer that sits on top of your desk along with the satellites. In any case you have a Hsu so I presume you don't need a sub.

Oh and for $250, I would consider the Swan M200MkIIs or the M-Audio AV40s. Both are 2.0, less than $250, and seem to have good reviews by many here.

Last edited:
nice leaning towards M-Audio AV40s but I wish ncix or any local computer store in the Brampton, ON would carry it thanks

Sorry, didn't realize you were in Canada.

NCIX does carry the AV40 (though it seems its currently not in stock)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28063&vpn=9900-52155-00&manufacture=M-Audio

You may want to check AudioEngine's A2. Normally this is not a speaker to recommend as a 2.0 due to the lack of bass but I think with your sub, this may be good (I just don't know how it compares to the Polks you already have). Anyway, there seems to be a store in London ON called Mostly Digital that carries it.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/resellers.htm#Canada

One thing I was always curious about. Is there anything wrong with the Polks you have? If your budget is $250, I am not sure how much of an upgrade you can make. Also if you have an Onkyo receiver, have you ever considered upgrading the speakers with another passive set. For $250, I think you can get something nice from Paradigm, which of course is a Canadian company. I think their Atoms are much less than $250 and they have a lot of variety of bookshelf speakers. Just a thought.

The Polk RM10s are a 5.1. I was initially looking for a smaller set of speakers, thus making me lean towards the Mirage nanosats. However, since you guys do not recommend them I might as well go with these MAudios. They look great and sound great according to reviews. However, they are for PC and not home threatre. Either way, I think they will suffice as they will serve both purposes.

The mirage nanosats look pretty good. They are small and supposed to sound good, though I haven't heard those ones myself. Since you already have a sub and receiver, you should be covered for the low-end bass too. There are cheaper options, though I'm not sure you can get anything smaller than the nano's for around that price without sacrificing sound.

Just stay away from Bose with a LONG pole ;)

Thanks for the explanation Hanif. If you are willing to go passive 2 speakers set, I think there are more choices. I think there were some very nice suggestions on the Audioholics reply to your post. Isberian recommended the Behringer 2030p speakers. I have also heard that they are very good with a flat frequency response. I think the passive ones (as opposed to the 2030a active ones) are around the $250 mark. Also, though more expensive, Davemcc's recommendation of the Usher s-520s are nice. These are quite a bit more than $250 though. Finally, I still think Paradigm is worth considering. Their speakers I hear have gotten better each year and there are some nice models. Another good Canadian company is Mission. I don't know if they have anything in that price range but you may want to take a look.

I don't know about the KEF speakers that Isberian also mentions but I think there are others here who have experienced them. Also I don't know much about the Mirage, not because of the speaker but because of my lack of researching their literature.

Of course as you say, there is the AV40s.

AV40s are great - recommend them. Have them paired up with a Xonar DX and couldn't dream to ask for better sound for the price.

Here you go. Cheaper than NCIX, and available at a local store.

M-Audio AV-40's at CanadaComputers

Also, you can check our Musician's Friend website. They seem to have a huge assortment of studio monitors, I found those Behringer 2030Ps there too.

Behringer TRUTH B2030P Passive Monitor Pair look great for the price! I may go for these...free shipping at that site too

How do these compare to the M Audios? M Audios seem to be a better brand am I correct?

DOH those speakers Available 06-08-2009

The 2031Ps are available and in stock. Its a bit more expensive and to be honest, I am not sure what the difference is between these and the 2030Ps.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TRUTH-B2031P-Passive-Monitors-?sku=600604

I hear the 2031Ps are more towards studio monitors than the AV40s. In other words, they have a more flat frequency response whereas the AV40s are more heavier in the mids. This translates to a more real sound but not always a more comfortable sound.

Both speakers have a good following. If you want to know more about the 2030's you can post your question in the Audioholics forum. WmAx has done some measurements on the output of the 2030s and he seems to like them very much.

However, in the end each person has their preference and I am not sure which one you will like better.

Edit: Ah one thing I did notice, these are 4 ohm speakers vs 8 ohm. So they are going to drive your amp harder in current. They are 89db spec so they shouldnt be hard to drive speakers. Just a note.

Picked up the AV40 for $200 after tax. I haven't opened them yet. Had a few questions (if I open them I cannot return them)
1. Why is there a volume knob? I thought the receiver handles the volume
2. Why is there a power supply for the speakers?
3. These speakers good enough for home threatre and ps3?

1. These are ACTIVE speakers, not passive. They are self-powered and do not need a receiver.
2. Same reason above.. ^. You plug them in to power them. I'm sure you can still run them through a receiver some how, for better quality. These are amped speakers, they do not have their own DAC however (no digital).
3. These speakers are great for the price, yes. I am not sure if you could do better since you have a receiver, there might be better options out there for buying PASSIVE speakers (non-self powered, need a receiver to run).

hmmmmm decisions decisions...
i got an onkyo receiver already
what do u guys recommend

i also got a hsu subwoofer

It's hard to recommend for good monitors in that price range in Canada (at least from what I know). A while ago Futureshop had the Energy C-100's for around $100 a pair, I would've instantly recommended those. I have a pair myself, powered by a little Sonic Impact T-Amp for my computer, and they sound great with this sub (which was $200 when I bought it from Bestbuy). But I guess that doesn't really help you much.. Perhaps someone can recommend something better that is easily available in Canada.

Edit: Try browsing around this forum. They seem to have good suggestions, are are Canada based. :)

Last edited:
ok on the verge of opening the box!
I am afraid I won't be happy with these since they are pc speakers and not home threatre....(I was looking at the mirage nanosats originally for around the same price).....

Last edited:
just opened these speakers! WOW connected them to a macbook and they sound terrfic - not very loud but perfect for a bedroom....omg...very good sound quality how do u connect these to a receiver tho?

ok on the verge of opening the box!
I am afraid I won't be happy with these since they are pc speakers and not home threatre....(I was looking at the mirage nanosats originally for around the same price).....

I own the nanosats, and to be honest, the sound quality is mediocre. If you don't have a sub, they sound very tinny, like a pair of headphones maxxed and laying beside you.

I switched back to the Klipsch RB series, and although I am not 100% happy with klipsch, they blow their "sister" company out of the water for me.

I stress how the hell do u connect these speakers to a receiveR? I wanna test them out bad with ps3
or how do you connect a subwoofer to the speakers

Isn't the set powered, and amplify the L/R? If so, why would you want to amplify your amplified system?

I guess you could just get a mini to rca and connect them to the out source if you mean you want to pass through.

Last edited:
because my onkyo receiver is connected to my ps3 by optical and i wanted to test these speakers out with ps3
if i cant do that then i gotta give this receiver to my dad or sell it :p but dunno what ill do with the ps3...maybe sell it too hah

edit: gave it to my dad downstairs hah mgiht give him the ps3 too

Last edited:
Does your receiver has just low level line output? I don't know how old your receiver is but I thought most modern receivers have the amplified output that goes through both the receiver's internal DAC and the amplifier, as well as a low level line out that goes through just the DAC (similar to what a sound card does).

this is the back of the receiver
9809ONKYO_BACK_506.jpg

thats ok I gave the receiver to my dad thanks guys
i am also gonna sell my woofer as i think the bass is decent in the av40s

well hold off on selling the woofer until you've really gotten used to the speakers. i have the swans m200mkii, which are comparable or maybe a little better in terms of bass and decided to buy a sub anyway for the really low end (sub 56 hz). I don't notice the sub so much as I don't notice the lack of the sub. I really liked the sound out by themselves, but taking the low-end down to 30hz or so is much nicer. One important thing is to keep your sub dialed down enough so it isn't overpowering your speakers. That's the most common mistake a lot of people make.

Your sub looks like you should be able to connect it with your speakers as a 2.1 setup to your comp etc...

What you need are the following cables:

(1) 3.5mm to RCA cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2
(3) RCA Y-splitters: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=663&seq=1&format=2
(2) RCA cables

diypowered21.jpg

Instructions are as follows:
1. Connect the 3.5mm to RCA cable to your soundcard's main speaker out.

2. Connect one RCA Y-splitter to each end of the cable from step 1.

3. RCA cable. Plug both white plugs step 2 into this. Plug the other end into your AV-40's.

4. RCA cable. Plus both red plugs from step 2 into this. Proceed to step 5.

5. RCA y-splitter. Use the last RCA y-splitter to connect the rca cable from step 4 to your subwoofer. This step is necessary because you don't have L/R rca inputs on your sub. The single end goes into the subwoofer.

And voila, you now have a 2.1 setup from your pc, sans massive receiver

Last edited:
Hmmm not sure if this will work but looking at your back panel, can't you take a pair of RCA plugs from your AV40 and plug it into the red and white plugs marked "front" at the bottom middle area of your receiver (located below the yellow plug marked "DVD")? I think that is your low line out. Dont get it confused with the big red and black connectors marked "front speakers" as this is most likely the amplified signal.

Then, since you have the STF-1 like mine and it comes with a sub in LFE input, I would think you can just plug the STF to the purple "Pre Out- Subwoofer" connector that is all by itself (located to the right of the "Zone 2 Line Out" connector).

I would read the manual of the receiver to confirm though regarding the above connectors.

Last edited:
Hmmm not sure if this will work but looking at your back panel, can't you take a pair of RCA plugs from your AV40 and plug it into the red and white plugs marked "front" at the bottom middle area of your receiver (located below the yellow plug marked "DVD")? I think that is your low line out. Dont get it confused with the big red and black connectors marked "front speakers" as this is most likely the amplified signal..

The 'Front' connections for DVD is for the 6 channel input. They are NOT low level outputs.

For low level output you can use the Tape Out L/R, VCR out L/R, and Zone 2 Line out.

Ah ok thank you for the correction 450. I think I understand now that the Front and the other color plugs are inputs for if you connect the receiver to a PC sound card for example.
Also, looking at the back of the receiver, I can see that the output connectors all have the white dot pattern around it, while ones that do not are input connectors.

Definitely going to make life easier if I ever go buy a receiver for my system.

Thanks again!

I tried zone2 couldn't get it to work through ps3
o well the subwoofers on the m audio speakers will suffice
its for my bedroom
plus i can sell the hsu subwoofer and get some money towards the pc build

Back