Firewire header burned? What the?!?!

GZS

n00b
Well, I took my system apart today to rewire it in anticipation of my new video card arriving and noticed that my firewire header, and USB are burned. It has not worked since I put the new motherboard in. There were no burn marks when I installed it. I have the header pin for a card reader plugged in. There is a slight scorch on the opposite side of my PCI (Not E) which I use for my sound card. The sound card is fully operational and isn't affected.

I'm just curious is this is going to adversely affect the operation of my system and if it has a potential to burn more, or start a fire.

System :

XFX 750i motherboard
Corsair HX 620
Q6600
2x2GB OCZ SLI PC2 800.
EVGA 9600 GT
Sound blaster XTREME(So extreme!!!) X-fi gamer

1x WD 320 Caviar.
2x WD 500 Caviar
1x WD 1TB Caviar
Lite-on DVD burner

I do have the processor overclocked, but stock volts. Ram is overclocked as well, but again, stock volts. Heat has always been fine. I've never really pushed anything. Video card has never been overclocked. So, I'm clueless as to how that this happened. I have a quality PSU. I've never pushed anything. Did the board just shit the bed?

A shitty picture of it, but a picture none the less.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/prodeg/0519091633.jpg

A stock photo to compare.
http://www.motherboards.org/imageview.html?i=/images/reviews/motherboards/1848_p3_15.jpg

sounds like you plugged in the USB header into the firewire header and vice versa. surprised it didn't take out your motherboard as well as I've read some horror stories when people made that mistake.

sounds like you plugged in the USB header into the firewire header and vice versa. surprised it didn't take out your motherboard as well as I've read some horror stories when people made that mistake.

if what he^ said is correct.. all you did was short the ports.. but you are lucky you didnt kill the whole board..

Is that even possible? I thought the firewire header had the pin missing on the opposite side of the header.

Is that even possible? I thought the firewire header had the pin missing on the opposite side of the header.

i think they are the same layout as this one random pic I found will confirm

b7ce4f3263.jpg

Oh poo. Well... thanks for the heads up on me being a dumbass!

Does this have any potential to catch fire or otherwise mess anything up?

Back