5Ghz on Air!

Metrocall

Gawd
Well I'm not sure if adding an air conditioner right next to the setup really counts as "air" but still pretty interesting to see and test. I was kind of curious also if anybody had an experience using air conditioners on say a radiator(in a water loop) or also just like me right to the computer itself.
This chip will do 4.75 without the conditioner and i got to about 5.1 but i only have maybe 10 seconds to take a ss/validate... It's also perfectly stable at 4.5.
I know the voltage is way higher than is safe/smart but i need an excuse for a new system anyway. :)
Temps stop going down at 24/37C. :confused:

CPU-Z

5ghzS.png

:D
0516090255-01.jpg

Last edited:
IMO this would count as phase change by proxy through air. But damn that's excessive.

nice overclock.. it aint [H] when you aint cheating to get an insane overclocks..

Also right about the time of the picture I realized those air conditioners dripped water :eek:
Couple towels later and we're ok. :cool:

That's why you tilt them to towards the back so that the water accumulates and drips from the back and not front ;)

Hey, I get my best OC's in Jan/Feb by opening the door and pulling in super dry 14F air into the front of the machine. I hit 4Ghz on a Q6600 about a year ago. Lost a HDD but it was worth it.

I say next step-- meat locker. :D

All the XS guys called us liars for almost two years while [H] owned the biggest P4 overclock in the world of +4GHZ. We used two phase change units, one of the CPU, one on the chipset. We left out the secret ingredient; Steve was doing all the work in his garage.....in Alaska.....in the middle of winter......it was -10F. LOL!

I got to tell Charles that to his face a few years ago in front of some industry folks. He got up and left the table.

Good job on air, but FFS, I hope you are separating your motherboard from that static-buildup prone plastic container lid with more than just air - a grounded conductive metal sheet, for example.

That is insane. And 4.5Ghz stable 24/7 frequency? Good job. I'm dreaming to get a future Core i7 proc to that "level". Maybe the 32nm shrink aka Westmere will make that possible! :drool:

I have built A LOT of high end systems and have read up on how to OC and have never had a decent OC.... I would love to just hit 4ghz without a problem... but 5?!!?!?!?!?!? waaaaaaaaaaaaaa????

Reminds me of the time I did a suicide run on my old AthlonXP 2100+. Got it up to 2.6GHz before it killed the chip. Nice job there.

Damn, 5ghz!. Nice job mate.

Hope i can get my wolfdale over 4ghz on air. I know lots of people have done it. Although my mobo won't let me do more than 3.3ghz for some reason :(

Back