I wanna build a PC, help me plz

JoonKimDDS

n00b
I never had experience of building my computer.

However, I have experienece of upgrading CPU, GPU, PSU, adding pc case fan, and I am about to upgrade GPU cooler with HR-03GT and add fan on this heatsink. Of course I know about thermal grease too.

As far as software, I have experience of reinstalling MS windows OS, and going to BIOS to change boot sequence so that I could install windows.

When I upgraded CPU, I learned that different CPU have different socket that fits into motherboard. I also learned that there are different type of rams such as DDR2, DDR3 and some rams have different speed even if both are same 2GB ram.
But knowing that there are different sockets exist doesn't mean I know what they are. I only bought what people told me to buy to make it fit.

These are basically all I know and I need help based on what I don't know.

I don't know what motherboard are there and which one is good, what cpu fits it, what ram is the right one, if i can reuse my old ram and add more ram, if i can use my old HDD or if I need to buy new one, and if I buy a new HDD I don't know how to make it start working because I am sure it does't have OS installed.
Someone told me I need to set up BIOS if I first buy HDD but I don't know much about it except changing boot sequence.
I don't know how pressing power button can trigger my PC to turn on.
I don't know how to make USB socket to match the USB socket of pc case.
I don't know which pc case is good and if all motherboard can fit in any pc case............etc.

there are tons of things that I don't know.

How do you think I should start?

my PC right now is ok.
AMD 5600+ dual core, about 2.88Ghz but i heard that it's slower than intel 2.88Ghz.
2GB ram, 2 ram each 1GB.
8800GT 512 graphic card.
HDD which I think have more than enough storage space.
700W gaming power supply
super crappy small dell case.
and I heard that my motherboard doesn't allow CPU stronger than 6000+ dual core becuz of voltage or wattage restriction. This is another thing I need to think about when I get a new motherboard so I can upgrade again in the future without any restriction.

Yeah so basically my pc can last another 1~2 yrs I think so I am not that desperate.
But because building my own pc has been my dream and did not have a chance to learn it, I want to learn it before I become too old, busy to learn it :)

Thank you for reading~

P.S. here is a reason I want to build a PC.
1. I bought 700W gaming PSU for about $120 and I like it. I don't wanna spend more money just to get a new one.
2. I think my 2 GB ram is still usable.
3. I think my HDD is still usable.
4. I think my 8800GT is still usable.
5. my pc case is bad, too small, no air ventilation
6. my motherboard cannot have a good CPU
7. my CPU is ok for now but maybe not in 1~2 yrs. That's why I want to learn it now instead of asking these questions after 1~2 yrs when I will become so desperate and be out of control :).
8. I started to see 'blue screen' and have to force restart my PC. I heard that this happens when my hardware are old.

Building a PC requires information about the specifics of your current Hardware.
E.G - Gaming PSU is not specific enough - 700W Corsair PSU and model would be good.
Same goes for the rest of your gear.
After that people will be able to recommend an upgrade path based on your budget and needs.
As far as building and installing a new PC, I guided a friend of mine how to build his PC on the phone with the aid of a webcam. So as long as you pay attention and go slow - you don't have to be a genius to build one. Also 90% of motherboard manuals explain all the "tricky" connections.
Good Luck.

The link that PC_User provided is a good start if you want our help in creating a list of parts to buy. If you want to know how to build a computer, and you're willing to invest some time into learning how, check out the GenHard FAQ.

Again, if you want our help, answer the questions listed in PC_User's link. Please be as specific as possible -- the more details we know, the better we can make our recommendations to you.

Before we can suggest any parts you must answers the questions in PC_User's post, but I'll reply to what you've already asked:

I don't know what motherboard are there and which one is good, what cpu fits it, what ram

CPU-Z (download link is top left corner) from www.cpuid.com will tell you what you've got.

ram and add more ram, if i can use my old HDD or if I need to buy new one, and if I buy a new HDD I don't know how to make it start working because I am sure it does't have OS installed.

Thats a non issue. It used to be that you'd have to load SATA drivers without any OS installed so that the BIOS could see the Hard drives, but not anymore. You dont have to worry about it at all. If you plug a hard drive into a SATA or PATA port on your hard drive it will show up instantly in bios and in windows. No problem there.

Someone told me I need to set up BIOS if I first buy HDD but I don't know much about it except changing boot sequence.

That's pretty well all you need to know. Boot from CD first, plug in your windows CD and the Windows install will see your SATA or PATA drive. SCSI drives can be trickey, but you dont have to worry about those.

I don't know how pressing power button can trigger my PC to turn on.
I don't know how to make USB socket to match the USB socket of pc case.
Both are headers on the motherboard. The USB ones look like this:
9-PinCardReader.jpg

The Power, reset switch, HDD light, etc are usually a little more confusing, but will be explained well in the manual.

I don't know which pc case is good and if all motherboard can fit in any pc case
Theres only two that you need to worry about: ATX, and mini-ATX. MiniATX only supports 3 PCI slots. To play it safe get a "Full ATX" case. It will fit pretty well any motherboard you can buy.

If all you need is a case that works (ie your not worried about how good it looks), I suggest the CM RC-330 Elite. I own two, and i've worked with a dozen. Its a perfectly nice case. (and it used to be $40 :\)

Awaiting answers to sticky questions...

Mr.Wiz... its micro atx. :p

Back