AT&T Uverse ethernet installation questions...

Fully [H]
So we're on Time Warner for internet along with Dish Network for TV right now and we're switching to Uverse soon (but still keeping Dish). The thing is that my house doesn't have any ethernet wiring and I heard that AT&T would wire the house with ethernet.

My question is, if I supply the wall plates (or do I even need to do that) would they do in wall? Or would it still have to be drilled in the floor? Like I want to have them use the holes where there are rj11 lines, and I'd just get the wallplates that have both rj11 and rj45.

Also do they do wired ethernet for computers? Xboxes? Or is it just for the uverse set top boxes?

I cant say exactly what they will do, but here is my experience with my local telco.

Our 1891 house had no Ethernet to the PC's or TV's (IPTV). The telco tech installed cat5 under the house, up the walls, and terminated them in wall plates they provided. They ran 4 lines total (3 TV and 1 computer), and offered to run 2 more Cat5 runs from my router to upstairs and the living room. I ended up doing these myself later, but still they should make sure you are all set :).

Your best bet is to run them yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by set top boxes, as these are only for your tvs... but you are already running satellite so I don't know if you are also going to run uverse side by side. If not, the set top boxes uses coax or ethernet, so they can run via either.

don't expect them do run everything in wall, every installation that i've seen has been "on-wall" installs.

It seems to vary from installer to installer. It also depends on how busy they are that day, what kind of mood they're in, whether a butterfly flapped it's wings in Africa that morning, etc. In other words, you never know what they will do or won't do.

Why have Uverse and Dish? Are you not getting Uverse TV? I didn't even know you could get Uverse without getting the TV.

You can get uverse without TV you just have to order both and then cancel the TV, I'm currently paying them $35/mo. for standalone 6Mbps/1Mbps, before I was only paying $25 for 1.5/1Mbps so it's cheaper than anyone else, plus they have an 18MBps/2Mbps package in my area.

My installer drilled through the floor, I didn't ask about wall installation because I didn't even think they would do it. But the installer was very cool and helpful, he spent half the day at the house for the installation, and as a side note, AT&T's uverse customer support has been by far the best out of any ISP or cable co I have used or worked with.

Okay, here's the deal. I have 3 computers I'd like hooked up via ethernet. One downstairs, and 2 upstairs (each in a different room). We have 3 TV's all hooked up to Dish. We have Dish Network for the International channels that AT&T doesn't cover. Uverse will be used for the downstairs HDTV for HD channels. If we like it, we'll keep it. If not then we'll just stick to Dish.

What I'm not sure about is if they run ethernet for the computers, or if its just for the TV STB. With that being said, am I being unreasonable to the installation guy/AT&T if I request in wall?

You're not being unreasonable at all. The installer may just ask you to pay extra for it.

I do not think they will run a wire to a place that is not uverse related. If not just tell them you want a box in that room, and pay the 5 bucks rental for that month or whatever lol.

I do not think they will run a wire to a place that is not uverse related. If not just tell them you want a box in that room, and pay the 5 bucks rental for that month or whatever lol.

Actually. That's not a bad idea. Order for 4 TV's, One in my bedroom, one in the den, one in my parent's bedroom, and finally one in the living room.

There ya go :p

My only gripe about uverse is the bandwidth caps coming, and only 4 channels at once throughout the whole house.

Wait backup. Bandwidth caps? Time Warner has no bandwidth caps... Maybe I should stay with TW?

Back