Does anyone about this PSU???

feedtheducks

Limp Gawd
Its a Rocketfish 550W psu. I know its not a good psu (overstatement). But its cheap and i dont have much money to work with so... I have been tryin to find the specs for this thing but, cant seem to find it anywhere not even the Rocketfish website. If anyone knows how many rails and what are the amps please share.

damn i forgot to put "know' on the thread heading.

How much is the Rocketfish for you? If it's like $15, it's worth buying-ish. Is that Rocketfish the only PSU available to you?

The 700W Rocketfish, similar model number to the 550W, was found to be a very mediocre 550W PSU:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ5MSw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

If you're planning to use it with your current system, I recommend dropping one of those cards.

what is your budget? you can still find very good psu's for not too much money. let us know what you are working with and i'm sure someone can find a good psu for you.

Well, my budget is not limited, Im just frugal. I need a decent psu for around $40-$50 that will power up this rig. I will do a total upgrade at the end of this year or the start of next when the i7 prices drop.:D

It must be sli ready. BTW is it better to have a single rail psu or a multi rail? what are the advantages or disadvantages?

I found this number here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817184008
any comments, suggestions, or advice?

It does not matter that much when it comes to Multi-rail or single rail. Read this FAQ:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

I can't read the UL number off that PSU (too damn small) but I've never heard of that brand before. Considering that I can't find any info about that brand or PSU, I wouldn't trust it. When it comes to PSUs, stick to well known and properly reviewed brands.

If you still have the molex to PCI-E adaptor, the $50 Corsair 400CX PSU should work. Though you may need need to replace the Corsair when you go up to a Core i7 rig. In fact, more than likely you'll have to replace any $50 PSU you get today if you plan on going Core i7 or Core i5.

No way man, Im not going with a BFG psu ever again. that was my first psu for this rig and it gave out after couple months.

I didn't say the Rosewill was Sli ready. I stated that the A-Top you linked was likely the same platform.

Hopefully you aren't planning to run a more powerful Sli setup that what you have now with what you are linking.

BFG has changed OEMs for their LS series and they are MUCH better than what you have been linking.

Still not a good choice. The GS line is rated at 25C and at peak. So not a very good choice. When buying BFG PSUs, stick to their LS, ES, MX, and EX series, not their GS line. Or like I said earlier, go with the Corsair 400CX 400W PSU if you're limited to $50:
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU

@ HOOfan_1
Aren't a couple of Raidmax PSUs Topower made?

The stuff I've seen (and used) from Rosewill is usually garbage. I'd avoid that stuff.
If its for the system in your sig I would stay the hell away.

$74 gets you a Corsair 550W PSU.

I got one for my daughter's computer, stout.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
That $74 is worth the results you'd get out of that PS. Don't go cheap on your powersupply, you don't want to learn that the hard way either.

No way man, Im not going with a BFG psu ever again. that was my first psu for this rig and it gave out after couple months.

Sorry to hear you had a problem. To be perfectly honest, there isn't a PSU brand on the face of the Earth that doesn't have failures from time to time. Any computer part can potentially fail. If that PSU is the only computer part you've had fail on you, you're pretty lucky.

Ya your right. what about this guy here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4252534&Sku=B52-3012
it only has 18A on a single 12V. Is that going to be enough??

oops i miss-read. Not a single 12V. but a 15A on 12V 1 and 18A on 12v 2.
You vehemently refuse to buy another BFG PSU when presented with the LS-450 and then link to an inferior BFG GS-550? That's a little inconsistent. In any case, the GS line is not at the same quality level as BFG's other PSUs, so I recommend against it. The LS-450 would be a better choice. Failing that, one of the other quality units suggested to you like the Corsair VX550 or CX400 would also be suitable.

You vehemently refuse to buy another BFG PSU when presented with the LS-450 and then link to an inferior BFG GS-550? That's a little inconsistent. In any case, the GS line is not at the same quality level as BFG's other PSUs, so I recommend against it. The LS-450 would be a better choice. Failing that, one of the other quality units suggested to you like the Corsair VX550 or CX400 would also be suitable.

lol, people can be bought. and $45 for a 550W was his price :D

but those are some good recommendations.

these are as well for a little more coin
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1413241
modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817163109&Tpk=st60f

Yeah and FSP too.

I am pretty sure that A-TOP and the Raidmax RX-500SB are ATNG and the Raidmax RX-530SS is Andyson

Ahh. Thanks for the info!

Oh and welcome to HardForum.com! I've seen you over at the JonnyGuru.com:)

Ahh. Thanks for the info!

Oh and welcome to HardForum.com! I've seen you over at the JonnyGuru.com:)

Thanks I have been lurking here for years, don't know why it took me so long to sign up. I am just guessing on the OEMs by looking at the components from the back and through the fan though. I would have to say that I am most sure about the RX-530SS though as from what I can see, it looks just like the Sigma Shark and Hiper Type M 580W.

damn, thanks man. that rosewill IS a better buy!! too bad its not modular. oh well, i guess i'll get a modular on the next build.
I was reading in the reviews on egg, that some people have GX2 + more powered with the mushkin psu. just woundering, why is not a good psu?? And what is "ATNG APL"???

as you can tell, im a N00B!

Well you mentioned a complete overhaul. What are you planning to run with it?

If you pounce on this, I think it is a better option Rosewill RG630 It is on sale for $70 now and has a $20 promo code It should be an ATNG APL which means it is decent. Check this review of another ATNG APL unit http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=95

whether or not that review is indicative of all ATNG APL units, I don't know. but the thing got a big fat ZERO in performance. i don't understand that recommendation especially since it has such a terrible review.

messyrimjob, there have been a ton of good recommendations in this thread by Danny, Zero82, and myself. I don't know what more you ask because the ones recommended are excellent units that cost $70 or less. i know you want to save a buck but spending ten bucks more is not a big deal. with all those sleepless nights you've had you coulda just bought a psu that has been recommended and be done with it.

whether or not that review is indicative of all ATNG APL units, I don't know. but the thing got a big fat ZERO in performance. i don't understand that recommendation especially since it has such a terrible review.

messyrimjob, there have been a ton of good recommendations in this thread by Danny, Zero82, and myself. I don't know what more you ask because the ones recommended are excellent units that cost $70 or less. i know you want to save a buck but spending ten bucks more is not a big deal. with all those sleepless nights you've had you coulda just bought a psu that has been recommended and be done with it.

Obviously you didn't read the review or you would know why it got a 0 and why that does not indicate its actual performance

Edit: By the way Oklahoma Wolf apparently thought enough of that unit that he kept it for one of his own personal computers.

I was reading in the reviews on egg, that some people have GX2 + more powered with the mushkin psu. just woundering, why is not a good psu?? And what is "ATNG APL"???
It's not a good PSU simply because it isn't a quality unit, and it also lacks active PFC which you can tell from the fact that it has a voltage selector switch on the back.

ATNG is a PSU manufacturer, and APL is the name of a particular platform that they use for some of their PSUs.
Actually, the PSU performed pretty well. The reason it received a zero was because the particular test sample did not appear to be a retail unit, and therefore its performance cannot be used as an indication of the performance of normally-purchased models. Given that, I would not use the contents of that review to judge how well the Rosewill PSU would perform.

Actually, the PSU performed pretty well. The reason it received a zero was because the particular test sample did not appear to be a retail unit, and therefore its performance cannot be used as an indication of the performance of normally-purchased models. Given that, I would not use the contents of that review to judge how well the Rosewill PSU would perform.

That is possible. However, I bet the Kira that actually ships at retail is the same as the one Wolf got. However, it IS possible that the Rosewill has lesser components and doesn't perform as well. However, some of the ATNG built Rosewills with APFC haver performed very well.

Here is another ATNG APL review although only 430W

I still think I would take the Rosewill over a non-PFC Topower like that Mushkin.

Of course I would spend more money for something like a BFG LS-550 that I KNOW is a quality unit too....especially if I was planning an upgrade to an i7.

I still think I would take the Rosewill over a non-PFC Topower like that Mushkin.
Oh, I certainly agree. I would rather avoid both though. And I wasn't criticizing the ATNG PSU; I was just explaining why it received the score it did even though it displayed quite good performance.

Oh, I certainly agree. I would rather avoid both though. And I wasn't criticizing the ATNG PSU; I was just explaining why it received the score it did even though it displayed quite good performance.

Here is a review by Gabriel Torres at Hardware Secrets. It is the Rosewill RP650. It is also APL based, and pretty much all stats on it are the same as the RG630, except that it is rated for 20W higher. Even though on ATNG's own site the highest rated APL is 630W. He couldn't get it to run at 45C
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/694
Too much of a question mark I suppose.

Anyway, I absolutely agree with everyone else here. Spend the $70 and get something like the BFG LS-550.

Trying to buy an SLi capable PSU that will run with an i7 for less than $50 isn't being frugal, it is cheaping out on one of the most important components in your computer.

Obviously you didn't read the review or you would know why it got a 0 and why that does not indicate its actual performance

Edit: By the way Oklahoma Wolf apparently thought enough of that unit that he kept it for one of his own personal computers.

i did read the review and that is why i stated that i didn't know if that unit is indicative of all atng units. the review doesn't do the unit any favors when a prospective buyer looks at it. and if it is a good unit, it's still not known just how good because it was not a representative sample. that still makes it an unknown really. why not just go for a the sure thing?

again, im not saying its a good or bad unit. but b/c the review was non-representative sample then it's still inconclusive.

I was reading in the reviews on egg, that some people have GX2 + more powered with the mushkin psu. just woundering, why is not a good psu??!

In addtion to Zero82's excellent response:
It's not a good PSU simply because it isn't a quality unit, and it also lacks active PFC which you can tell from the fact that it has a voltage selector switch on the back.

That PSU only has 28A total on the +12V rail. That's pretty damn low for a "550W" PSU. Most 550W PSUs have at least 40A on the +12V rail. In fact there are a few 380W and 400W PSUs out there with 27A and 30A on the +12V rail respectively. So considering that lower wattage PSUs have the same or more amperage on the +12V rail is another sign that the Mushkin PSU is not a good quality PSU.

Poor choice:
- No review whatsoever showing whether or not it can actually provide its rated wattage
- No review whatsoever of any Magnell PSU (the maker of that particular Rosewill PSU) exists
- Company with a known history of bad products

I recommend canceling if you can.
I second this. Unless it was the specific model recommended earlier that had a decent review, I wouldn't trust a Rosewill PSU, ever. Even with the review I'm not likely to buy anything from them just due to reputation with PSU's, but that's just me.

What was wrong with Danny's recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

$50 after $10 MIR. Easy and done. Then you could rest easy knowing that your PSU most likely will not blow up and take all of your components with it, which will cost you more to replace than whatever you're saving buying that PSU.

Edit: NVM, the Corsair is cheaper. :p It's a no-brainer :D

Back