Questions on GA-G31M / E8400 overclock

Technophobe

Limp Gawd
New GA-G31m-S2L and E8400 setup (not that in sig). Works fine on stock speed / voltage settings. Was hoping to get to at least 3.6GHz which requires 400FSB. Tested the E8400 on a P35 board and I know roughly what Vcore to get stable etc. Memory is Corsair 6400 and has been tested on the P35 board with known voltage / speed / timing requirements.

Unfortunatly on the G31 board, anything much past the default 333 FSB speed and it wont go past BIOS boot (resets back to 333 with default settings). So I'm FSB limited but I hear people getting to 400 on this board OK before. Tried increasing the normal FSB voltage, no go. No direct NB voltage control as such but do have 2 settings I can't find recommendations for:

CPU GTLRef (default 0.67)
FSB DeOverVoltage ???

Any clue or recommendation on these settings? Anything else to try to get a higher FSB value stable?

Increase the voltage until you are able to get into windows then run the Intel burn test for 20 passes, if it fails give it more voltage until it passes.

Be sure to clear CMOS if you crash and note your bios settings beforehand so you don't screw up your settings.

Make sure you watch your temps when running the burn test, if things get too hot you will need a better cooler or lower voltage.

Increase the voltage until you are able to get into windows then run the Intel burn test for 20 passes, if it fails give it more voltage until it passes.

Be sure to clear CMOS if you crash and note your bios settings beforehand so you don't screw up your settings.

Make sure you watch your temps when running the burn test, if things get too hot you will need a better cooler or lower voltage.

Which voltage? Vcore - done it and that is not the problem, FSB voltage - done that too, gone +.3v still no go. If different voltage, which one and by how much recommended?

CMOS clear done when I installed new CPU.

Temps are fine. Got a Xigmatek HDT S1283, no problems there.

Vcore should be first on your list, the 8400 should clock well with stock voltage.

Always clear your cmos properly if you crash the system.

How much v droop are you experiencing with your board ?

For those interested, I fould a clue from another forum with a trick using a different G31 MB, just have to keep the PCIe frequency on auto. Does the trick with me, can now get 400 FSB easy. Hate to thing what the actual PCIe speed is given the amount of FSB overclock, seems stable enough tho.

that's right!
Managed to boot fsb@470 pcie@[auto] in bios:

setfsb reports pcie@142 which is damned high!
470-1.jpg

Back