Arkangyls Great Big Audio Post

Arkangyl

Gawd
Intro
For those of you new to this thread: Hello! I'm Arkangyl, I'm a Computer Engineer (which means I know Electrical Engineering too) and I've done quite a bit of reading & research into computer audio. This thread is meant to be an introduction into computer audio for all.

For those of you following update: I've tweaked the format to make it more readable, I hope I didn't cut out too much of my original sass & literary prose in process :-P

Part I: Sound & Speaker Basics
A basic primer in how audio works is probably the best place to start this whole thing since without a good basis of understanding it will be hard to explain the higher level concepts. First, we'll do this with bullets:
- Sound is air moving at a given frequency (general range: 0 to 25,000+ Hz).
- You process sound by your brain interperting how your eardrum vibrates.
- Loudspeakers (what we call speakers, same thing) make sound by using magnets to move some material (aluminum, paper, synthetic) which in turn moves the air thus creating a 'sound'

Now to break things down further, there are three basic types of loudspeakers: sub-woofers, woofers / drivers, and tweeters.
Tweeters are responsible for frequencies ranging from [typically] 2 kHz to 20 kHz(good tweeters will hit 24 kHz, the uber ones can break into the 30 kHz range). They are generally 1/4" to 1" in size and come in quite a few different variants, wikipedia (tweeters) covers the different types pretty well. All tweeters have the same general design and goal though: to move very, very quickly to create the 'high' notes typically this is done with a cone (1/4 to 3/4" woofer optimized for high frequencies) or a dome ('dome' of material over the magnet).

Woofers handle the lower frequencies, generally from 55 Hz up to 2 kHz. They overlap in coverage with the subwoofer but their purpose is to create location & display the sound. Typical woofers range from 3 to 5 1/4" in size and are made from modern polymers (rubber-like substances), paper and Kevlar are also somewhat common. These low & mid range frequencies generally require a larger size (5.25" is a good size) to move enough air to push them out.

Subwoofers deal with the low frequencies, generally you'll see 30 - 150 Hz , and are 8-15" in size. Subwoofers are just larger woofers with a lower range, they operate relatively slowly and move a lot of air so you feel the sound. A good subwoofer will recover quickly from its last sound thus allowing each note to be a distinct sound, bad subwoofers can't respond that quickly and will mush notes together and muddy the music.

Here's a good illustration of how a speaker works (re-hosted from Wikipedia's loudspeaker / woofer / subwoofer page, re-posted under GNU Free Documentation License)
581pxspeakercrosssectio.png

Crossovers (lowpass / highpass filters) are also important to understand, when your computer sends out its audio signal, that signal (all cables coming out of the soundcard) have ALL the frequencies on them. Your various speakers, as mentioned, are each focused on a seperate range and will pretty much output crap if you don't specify what range should reach them. That's where a Crossover comes in, they are basic circuits that filter out the unwanted frequencies. There will be a crossover in the speaker between the inputs and woofer & tweeter AND one going into the subwoofer. All speakers have an ideal operational range, crossovers should be designed based around speaker specifications.
The general design is: voltage_in -> resistor -> voltage_out AND capacitor to ground.
The equation is cutoff_frequency = 1 / (2 * pi * R * C)
Crossovers (filters) can be built in combination with amplifiers too in order to boost the 'good' frequencies at the same time as you cut off the 'bad' ones.

The Box, the actual box the speaker is encased in seems to be overlooked by newbies and obsessed over by DIYers. Good speakers and commonly made with 3/4" MDF, glued at every seam (no nails or screws). The goal of a box is to NOT make any noise while the speaker is doing its thing. The box should not vibrate and the airpath (air comes in through a 'baffle' or that hole in your speaker :)) should be clear as if the air makes a lot of noise rustling around the box to get to the woofer / tweeter, you can hear it!

Soundstage, this is a fancy term referring to what everything sounds like when you're sitting there listening to your speakers. In short, a good 2.0 / 2.1 setup will create a better soundstage than a bad 5.1 setup. This means that 2 speakers will sound more like surround sound than 5 speakers will. There's a lot of fancy science here, but in short it has to do with accurately re-creating the sounds & how they're projected into a room. Much like a good ventriloquist can make it appear that people on the other side of the room are talking, a good 2.0 setup can make it seem like the sound is all around you

Specifications, I think speakers are about the only thing people around here buy without fully understanding the specifications. Most people look at power, inputs, and the stickers, and that's about it, but there is oh so much more to consider!
THD (total harmonic distortion), is a measure of distortion of the harmonic frequencies (harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency), these distortions are generally rather low (according to specs, all Swan & Onkyo systems are 1% or lower, Logitech is at 10% though!) and not perceived by the human ear (for most of us, the difference between 1% and .8% isn't worth paying for)
SNR (signal to noise ratio), is signal strength relative to background noise (SNR = 20*[log base 10](V signal / V noise)), the high the SNR the better, however know that 40 dB is VERY good and around 80 dB will be enough for most people as we're talking about very minor levels of distorion (Swan says they're north of 80 dB, Logitech says 93.5 dB, Onkyo says 100 dB)
RMS power, ahh, RMS versus peak power. The short & sweet explanation is that RMS is the power the systems going to be capable of, and peak is a sort of one-time maximum. RMS is what you care about. (Logitech = 505w, Swan M10 = 40w, Onkyo = 700w). Also look at watts per channel rather than just overall system power to compare 5.1 to 2.1 and 2.0.

Part II: The Digital Birth (audio files)
As I'm sure you've discerned from part 1, sound is an analog electrical ciruit. You're comput is a digital beast, and that's how you're music starts the grand process journey from your hard drive to your ears. There are many, many different formats to store your music in. To be honest I'm only familiar with a few, so if I miss any: post about them, share your knowledge too!

mp3 according to the RIAA the mp3 is the bane of the music industry (NO soapboxes about this stuff here though!!!). What's most important to understand is that the mp3 was made to make an audio file as small as possible and is a lossy compression, it was then expanded to also compress music and leave it sounding good :-P. I'm sure we've all seen the different options for compression, you can rip at different bit-rates, different sample rates, and a few other options. First of all, CD's have a sample rate of 44.1 kHz so that's really what you ought be using (sample rate is the # of samples taken per second, think of it as how many datapoints used to make a line in excel). Stereo bit rate is simply how many bits are used per second of music, more bps means better quality, iTunes defines good as 128 kbs and their top setting as 192 kbs. iTunes music is NOW 256 kbs AAC (I'll explain AAC later) which is actually pretty damn good, nice improvement Apple (y)

AAC AAC is what Apple uses, and that's probably where you'll mainly encounter it. AAC is sort of mp3 version 2.0, in general it sounds better as the compression / de-compression techniques are better, however it is still a lossy compression. AAC also allows for DRM.

FLAC is a lossless audio compression, meaning that nothing gets lost on playback from the original. This however, takes up MUCH more space on your hard drive (see chart below), however flac is still a 40-50% reduction from the un-compressed size!

-Lossy and Lossless compressions are exactly what they sound like: lossy means some data is lost (but it's good enough to be considered useful), lossless means the un-compressed version is the same as the original.

for comparison, here are file sizes for a 5 minute song in different formats (mp3's & aac's are bitrate then sample rate)
mp3 128 / 44.1 == 4.7mb
mp3 192 / 44.1 == 6.8mb
mp3 320 / 44.1 == 11.3mb
aac 128 / 44.1 == 5.4mb
aac 256 / 44.1 == ??? (don't have any yet, guessing ~13mb)
flac == 122mb :-D

Dolby Digital Yep, Dolby Digital is an audio format (AC-3) which is a lossy compression supporting up to 6 channels of sound. For in-depth information go here

DTS An alternative to Dolby Digital, it is owned by DTS Inc.

THX, THX is NOT an audio format like DD and DTS, rather it is a 'quality standard' of which there are many levels. THX in a movie theater is very different from THX on home media because in a theater, THX Inc. provides special crossover circuitry so there is something being 'sold', for everything else it's really nothing more than something for the marketing people to throw around. Remember, THX is from George Lucas (sort of) and he gave us Jar-Jar Binks, 'quality' is relative here...

Part III: Going from bits to a wave
Now we're going to connect part 1 (the speaker) to part 2 (the data)! Isn't this just super-exciting? Don't you wish your textbooks would occasionally ask if you were having fun? Weee.
Digital audio becomes analog audio through a cryptically named device: the DAC (digital to analog converter).
The inputs AND outputs of a DAC are low-voltage (remember, computers use really small voltages), we want them to be big voltages so they're nice and loud, for that we use an amplifier (amp) which simply turns .001 volts into 10 volts without changing anything else about the signal (well, sort of...).

The DAC and AMP(s) can make or break a system. You can get them really cheap (integrated sound card) or spend hundreds of dollars for just the DAC. I suggest reading around on Head-Fi and A/V Science (AVS) as both boards have thousands of threads on DACS & AMPs (as do we!).
A good DAC will accurately translate digital into analog, it sounds simple but the circuit to do so gets quite complex.
A good AMP will transparently improve volume (no distortion as you crank it up to 11 :-D).

The science going on here comes in two flavors, the first is power cleanliness. Poor power, that is power which has many ripples and fluxuations in itself will pass those imperfections into the system and you will hear those imperfections as they distort your music. The second piece that you're paying for is for the rest of the system to also be clean.
Acceptable tolerances in an electrical circuit are usually pretty high (relatively), also a perfectly clean circuit is almost impossible to find as there will always be some, very very minor, imperfection. This is where quality of components, most noteable capacitors, op-amps, and dacs come in. The good ones cost money, mostly because they are far more rare. Think a Ferrari engine versus a Toyota engine, both are good, one is legen-wait_for_it-dary.

DAC A DAC does it's thing the same way we record audio to the computer (but in reverse), it will take a certain number of samples and use those as the points on a graph, the resulting line is the analog signal they gets produced. A better DAC can handle more samples and produce a better, more consistent waveform, mostly though you're paying for a DAC that can handle more samples per second. You'll also encounter THD here (total harmonic distortion) which is a percentage representing the amount of distortion in the signal, along with dynamic range which is the delta between the largest and smallest signals the DAC can output at once, measured in dB. A good DAC will have a THD under .005% (really freaking small) and a dynamic range of over 100 dB, meaning it will create both the really loud sound of the singer and the really quiet sound of the background cymbals resonating.

AMP AMPs have the same statistics as DACs as they can distort and limit the sound in the same ways. It's important to remember that any time we alter the electrical signal, we can completely change how the music sounds. Money here buys you cleanliness and the ability to turn it to 11, because 11 is 1 more than 10!

Audio Processor This is that nifty thing in your computer, the X-Fi or Xonar or Realtek 889A. It does a myrid number of things, from EAX to OpenAL to DTS & DD. The general chain of events is audio signal -> audio processor -> digital output -> DAC -> amp -> speaker so a sound card WILL be used somewhat even with digial outputs.

*Using the S/PDIF (optical or coax) output will bypass the DAC & AMPs on your soundcard in favor of external units, audio effects will still be rendered into the data

Also to note: Vista handles audio differently from XP, mostly in that it tries to standardize more by using OpenAL as the main means of audio 'pipelining'. EAX is based around Directsound 3D which is only emulated in Vista, thus EAX much run through ALchemy and is sort of hacked into Vista. It is a general consensus that EAX doesn't matter in Vista so I would NOT be too worried about paying to get EAX. If you want a good system, worry about the DAC & amps, not EAX.
In sort:
- If you have Vista, get an Asus Xonar card
- If you have XP, get an Auzentech X-Fi card
- Creative Labs cards are sort of pariahs due to Creative's treatment of its customers (intentionally disabled features in Vista on older cards to encourage upgrading, prosecuted a 3rd party driver maker when he made vastly superior drivers). CL cards have pretty good DACs but really shitty amps, there are mods out there to make them better, but Auzentech & Asus do a better job.

Final Words
Before I leave, a quick word on the hot-topic of the forums: Logitech's Z-5500 5.1 speaker system. If you've read through the rest of this post, then these bullets will make sense:

- The Z-5500 has cheap speakers, they all only have a single 3" driver which handle all frequencies from 150 Hz to 20 kHz. Asking that one driver to do the highs, mids, and lows is not a good idea. It can be done but it is a budget solution
- The Z-5500 have a DAC, AMP, 5 satellites and a subwoofer, and support most formats. Doing all this for $300 (used to be $230, I got mine for $180) is impressive. This system is one of those 'Jack of all trades, master of none' type deals.
- The Z's sound like, and should be valued at, $200 tops. They are not an elite speaker system, they are a budget computer speaker system, they are made to compete with your generic Dell speakers.

If you want high quality audio on a budget, look at 2.0 / 2.1 setups. They may not have as many watts, but advertising watts is like talking about how badass your VTEC is, it's NOT that important. If you omg_wtf_bqq_have_to_have 5.1 then fine, get them (but ONLY at or under $200), for $250ish on up look at home theater in a box (HTiB) systems, they all feature speakers with separate tweeters & woofers and do everything else the Z's do.

Bose falls into the same category. Bose is famous for being small and for sounding good for something that small, it's like having a girl say "well, for a guy with a 2" cock, you're a good fuck", congrats, you're better than a tootsie roll (but not by much).

Audio cables. There is some truth to those high-priced audio cables being important. That truth is that a good cable has better shielding which means that it will be less susceptible to external noise. A bare copper wire will inherit noise from its atmosphere which will make the signal less clean. Buying better cables should be done in-step with the rest of your system, if your system costs $300, don't spend $50 on cables, spend $10. If you're spending more that 10% the cost of your system on cables, you're a dumbass.

The weakest link before you toss all your money into one of the areas I've mentioned here, consider your weakest link. If you have leet speakers & a leet soundcard but shitty 128 kbs mp3's, your system will sound like shit. If you have FLACs & a top-end Asus Xonar card connected to Z-5500, your music will sound muddied and bland.
In general, I feel that:
$ spend on speakers should be no more than twice $ spent on receiver / soundcard
Feel free to correct me. I'm saying that as a baseline, by the time you're looking at spending thousands of dollars on this, PLEASE tell me you've done enough research that you knew everything in this post already!!!

Thanks for reading! I hope this served as a good primer on audio for all of you.

Contents of this thread::
Main Post
Z-5500 Satellite take-apart
Version 1 of the main post

Last edited:
Thanks for nice compilation of information. As someone that is new to audio, I found it to be very helpful in answering some of the basic questions I had.

Great post man! I appreciate you writing this, and I hope it gets a stickie. It's great and for people who want to know more about audio.

BTW, how do the Xonar Essence STX and Fubar II compare to the Fubar III? Is the Fubar III the same as the II with a headphone amp added? In that case, would you recommend the Xonar over the Fubar III?

Once again, great post. Vote for stickie! :p

Now then, the biggest argument for the Zs is that they have Dolby, THX, DTS, and STDs. I'm going to quickly invalidate that argument with two bullet points
Sexually transmitted diseases...?

Most mp3's floating around out there are low-quality mp3's (I'm looking at torrents, iTunes, Amazon & anywhere else you buy
online).
~256kbps VBR AAC and LAME-encoded MP3 @ V0 is "low-quality"? iTunes sells the former whereas Amazon MP3, Rhapsody and Wal-Mart (typically) sell the latter.

As far as I see it, low-quality for LAME MP3 is about 110 kbps and below. Low-quality for AAC is around 50-60 kbps. Your own personal mileage may vary.

My point is that the more you compress something, the worse it will sound.
...unless it's perceptually transparent, in which it will sound no different than the original uncompressed file. This most certainly doesn't apply to FLAC, either, which is a lossless format. FLAC, and other lossless coding schemes, use coding techniques to reduce file size without any degradation to the audio.

The decompression is done on the fly as you're playing a file, and thus it's not perfect and detail will be lost.
Not entirely true. Imperfect decoders produce errors. Other decoders are able to decode compressed streams accurately and without audible defects. A properly-designed decoder will be able to decompress the stream accurately repeatedly (you can easily test this).

However this is why an iTunes mp3 will sound more or less the same on an iPod as on a very nice audio system
iTunes does not sell MP3s.

Dobly, EAX, DTS, are all just standards and algorithms for taking sound and enchaining it and giving it location.
Neither Dolby Digital nor DTS provide for locational information: they merely encode multichannel signals to a compressed format for transmission via S/PDIF or HDMI. EAX and AC3/DTS aren't really analogous in any way.

Subscribed and bookmarked. Thank you Arkangyl.

I can see it already how many times we are going to be pointing noobs to this thread. :D

thanks phide, I'll edit some stuff tonight, I'm certainly not pretending I got everything right (big woops on calling iTunes stuff mp3s, eek! gotta start drinking more coffee in the morning), also forgot about the new high-quality stuff iTunes has out, sort of been living in CD land for a while now :-\
Oh, and yeah, STD was just thrown in because I'm an ass (sarcasm directed at those defending the Z's with acronyms).

thanks to everyone else for your support, please keep the criticism coming!

Good post. I'm considering new speakers and finding Swans in Canada is not an easy task. I was wondering if you had an opinion on the M-Audio AV40s? or maybe something similar but smaller?

Good post. I'm considering new speakers and finding Swans in Canada is not an easy task. I was wondering if you had an opinion on the M-Audio AV40s? or maybe something similar but smaller?

The M-Audio AV40s are a good set of active bookshelf speakers. I would venture to say they are a good competitor to the D1080 swan speakers. I have read others say that the D1080 Swans lack a little on the bass, but are otherwise great.

I own a pair of the AV40 speakers. They are very nice, especially for the price. It is a good way to get decent sound without getting a receiver & passive bookshelf speakers.

As far as bass, i'm blown away at the desk shaking bass my M200MKII's can produce. Just some food for thought if you want a little bass with your monitors. :p

Crank it to 11 because 11 is more than 10!

LOL! Spinal Tap is a classic.

Thanks for the write up. I love this type of info since it is so educational.

Its nice to see the speaker analysis in a technical term vs "zxxxx speakers FTL (or FTW)". Since speakers in general are just transducers used to create air motion (sound) in a complete spectrum of frequencies (how fast the air is vibrated), the ability for the speaker to accurately translate the air motion throughout the spectrum of sound is limited in PC speakers due to its size and cost of material used. Higher frequency sound needs different mechanical requirements to effectively move the air than lower frequency sound (just like a tuba is different from a piccolo for a reason), the thought that one can accurately push the entire spectrum of sound from 100Hz to 20kHz through one size 3" driver is just not possible. This becomes especially so for larger rooms vs headphones due to the sheer volume of air that needs to be moved to reach your ear.

Of course this is not the only point since smaller speakers like the M10 have better sound reproduction than many PC speakers. However, it is a critical reason many larger moniters are in fact larger and that they have a variety of transducer sizes (tweeters, mids, woofers) to provide a good representation of sound throughout the entire spectrum.

I guess I am stating the obvious but I hope you post more since I want to keep on learning.

Thanks

Last edited:
Great post!
This should be sticky-ed and a must read before anyone can post in here!
Oh, and everyone should have to take a test to make sure that they've read it ;)

I have nothing much to add to this thread because everyone has put in some good information. I will just say that the last time I tried to get a thread stickied and pm'd a mod about it, they ignored me.

Great post man! I appreciate you writing this, and I hope it gets a stickie. It's great and for people who want to know more about audio.

BTW, how do the Xonar Essence STX and Fubar II compare to the Fubar III? Is the Fubar III the same as the II with a headphone amp added? In that case, would you recommend the Xonar over the Fubar III?

Once again, great post. Vote for stickie! :p

Missed this before. based on specification the STX looks a bit better than the Fubar II, the Fubar II also needs to have an amp in-line after it and should be hooked up to a separate power supply (the Supplier) for the best results thus making it a $350+ package. Fubar III, well, read this head-fi Fubar III & Cute review they don't seem too stoked about the III

Oh, and for the STX, check out this thread: head-fi Xonar Essence STX thread (looooooong), they seem to love the thing :-P

Fubar II :: 16-bit 48 kHz, no amp, needs PSU
STX :: 24-bit 192 kHz, has great amp & uses PC PSU

I'd say get the STX, go to www.head-fi.org for more info though, I don't have either atm so I'm just saying this from what I know & have read.

I've got the STX on order though ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've also made a few edits to the original post, added some stuff & clarified a few things phide pointed out.

Tentatively I'm hoping to have the funds to order some new speakers soon to give a full review, directly compared to the Z-5500 (along with tearing into the Z's) to go as in-depth as possible. Right now I'm expecting to order an Onkyo HTiB at some point for, well, my home theater, and to get one of the Swan kits also. Not sure on the timeline but both should happen within the next few months. When they do I'll keep posting in this thread with links to the subsequent big posts from the main one.

In the meantime, thanks for all the sticky votes. If it happens that'd be awesome, if not, well, I'll do my best to keep adding to it and make it bigger & better :)

Looks like magnetik (this sections mod) wants to see if this thread will stick around on its own for awhile, so lets point all the noobs here, that should drive more traffic to this thread.

*iTunes also sells higher quality music files which are pretty decent. Also as an edit music you buy from iTunes comes as a .acc format and also DRM on it (I'm a bit out of date with this info, did they ever start selling DRM-free stuff?)
Most of the iTunes library is DRM-free now (iTunes Plus). iTunes Plus files play on any player compatible with LC-AAC/MP4.

Arkangyl, a couple of questions regarding sound cards.

First of all, thank you for the very nice breakdown of the various key components in a sound card. The explanation of the chipset was especially useful for me and after your explanation, much of it makes sense. Just as the northbridge and southbridge are the communication controls and traffic cop for the motherboard directing the communication between the cpu, RAM, video (northbridge), hard disk, DVD, (southbridge), I can see how the chipset is the traffic cop for the sound signals in the sound card.

The digital to digital explanation was great and the chipset does much of the modifications to the digital signal to enhance the signal while in bit mode. The part that I want to ask is how you mention its role about giving it location. In many stereo receivers, one of the key aspects is crossover or the separation of the highs, mids and lows to ensure that there is no signal overlap that would cause problems (distructive interference or one signal fighting a similar signal coming from another speaker). Does the chipset in the sound card also provide crossover control so that you can balance your monitors in front with the ones in the side/rear/center, and with the sub? I am hoping the answer is yes as I am currently considering getting a sub and plugging it into my Striker's sub out.

Second is regarding the the point beyond the DAC. I presume much of the DAC's role is to accurately translate the digital signal to analog with as much precision as possible in the translation, so low signal to noise once one is in analog, no distortions due to frequency or harmonics, etc. However, is there a difference in the sound cards in ensuring a clean and accurate analog signal coming out of the 7.1 analog outputs in the back of the card or is most of the circuit design to minimize the noise and ensuring proper signal communication of the digital signal?

I am posting as I am curious to learn but also to keep this thread going until it becomes a sticky. :D

The digital to digital explanation was great and the chipset does much of the modifications to the digital signal to enhance the signal while in bit mode. The part that I want to ask is how you mention its role about giving it location. In many stereo receivers, one of the key aspects is crossover or the separation of the highs, mids and lows to ensure that there is no signal overlap that would cause problems (distructive interference or one signal fighting a similar signal coming from another speaker). Does the chipset in the sound card also provide crossover control so that you can balance your monitors in front with the ones in the side/rear/center, and with the sub? I am hoping the answer is yes as I am currently considering getting a sub and plugging it into my Striker's sub out.

Zenshi,
The woofer to tweeter crossover has to happen right at the speaker for a simple reason: each speaker has two wires going to it: a ground and a positive voltage, that's a purely analog signal. The crossover happens once that signal gets to the speaker, inside will be the crossover circuit which is a pretty basic design example here which just takes the signal and sends it down two different paths.
The subwoofer crossover is the same thing. I want to note, however, that my old Razer AC-1 soundcard (very 'meh') had an option for subwoofer crossover along with a 'boost' option. I'm fairly certain that all this did was amplify the frequencies below that selected crossover as since the center & subwoofer share an output from 5.1 / 7.1 soundcards, there's no way for the crossover to occur on the card.

Also the crossover point (frequency cutoff) is usually determined by the speakers themselves, different individual drivers, tweeters, and woofers have different ranges, in some cases it's at 1000 Hz, in others 3000 Hz.

Second is regarding the the point beyond the DAC. I presume much of the DAC's role is to accurately translate the digital signal to analog with as much precision as possible in the translation, so low signal to noise once one is in analog, no distortions due to frequency or harmonics, etc. However, is there a difference in the sound cards in ensuring a clean and accurate analog signal coming out of the 7.1 analog outputs in the back of the card or is most of the circuit design to minimize the noise and ensuring proper signal communication of the digital signal?

Short answer: yes. After the DAC the signal (on a soundcard) still has to go through the amps and then out through the mini jack connectors. The quality of those amps and the design of the circuit AND the quality of the capacitors & resistors along the way will all make a huge difference.

Read around audiophile forums and you'll hear people drool over a specific make / model / year capacitor like it's a fine bottle of wine (which they kind of are). :-P

However all the Asus Xonar & Auzentech cards seem to have pretty good designs & based on the reviews I've read it doesn't sound like they cut any corners with the design. I don't have both to compare, but the Xonar seems to be a tad bit better; the Auzentech is a bit cheaper & has X-Fi (licensing will cost some $$$)

Hmm, seem to be some issues editing the big post :-\

A word on EAX / Vista / XP ::
Great write-up on Vista / XP audio differences, short version is OpenAL stays the same, DS3D (where EAX comes in) gets completely changed. The main reason from Microsoft is that DS3D was too close to the kernel and caused many a BSOD, the new system puts audio on a software layer separate from the kernel so Vista doesn't crash as much.

Also, if I have time this weekend I'm going to go through and edit this bad boy up a bit, maybe use this crazy 'formatting' thing I've seen mentioned here and there. Also cut back on my own rambling & redundancy.

Zenshi,
The woofer to tweeter crossover has to happen right at the speaker for a simple reason: each speaker has two wires going to it: a ground and a positive voltage, that's a purely analog signal. The crossover happens once that signal gets to the speaker, inside will be the crossover circuit which is a pretty basic design example here which just takes the signal and sends it down two different paths.
The subwoofer crossover is the same thing. I want to note, however, that my old Razer AC-1 soundcard (very 'meh') had an option for subwoofer crossover along with a 'boost' option. I'm fairly certain that all this did was amplify the frequencies below that selected crossover as since the center & subwoofer share an output from 5.1 / 7.1 soundcards, there's no way for the crossover to occur on the card.

Also the crossover point (frequency cutoff) is usually determined by the speakers themselves, different individual drivers, tweeters, and woofers have different ranges, in some cases it's at 1000 Hz, in others 3000 Hz.

Short answer: yes. After the DAC the signal (on a soundcard) still has to go through the amps and then out through the mini jack connectors. The quality of those amps and the design of the circuit AND the quality of the capacitors & resistors along the way will all make a huge difference.

Read around audiophile forums and you'll hear people drool over a specific make / model / year capacitor like it's a fine bottle of wine (which they kind of are). :-P

However all the Asus Xonar & Auzentech cards seem to have pretty good designs & based on the reviews I've read it doesn't sound like they cut any corners with the design. I don't have both to compare, but the Xonar seems to be a tad bit better; the Auzentech is a bit cheaper & has X-Fi (licensing will cost some $$$)

Thanks for your extensive information Arkangyl. Hmmm interesting. Your statement that the crossover occurs at the speakers make perfect sense since as you say each driver (tweeter, mid, woofer) to be different in their dynamic range and so the crossover is best to be tuned to the driver combination used for each specific speaker. However, what was interesting is that the crossover just sends the signal down two different paths (sorry I haven't read the link yet). If so, it would just be a splitter. Even in analog, I would have thought there is some high pass or low pass circuitry to tune to the crossover frequency for each driver. As for the sub, this is a bit disappointing if the cards don't have some crossover capability. Actually I should just read up on what exactly the Striker can do. This I would think is a good option since one can then independently tune the output of the sub to not interfere with the monitors. Something like separate equalization for the individual analog out on the cards I think would do the trick.

Good to hear the ASUS and Auzentech cards use decent components for the analog out. I hope that HT uses ok parts even in their low end Striker.

So I am still wondering if I can hook up a very decent sub like the STF 1 to ok but definitely inferior in quality desktops for the moment. :confused: I am not expecting to get the most optimum sound (that is obvious). For the moment, I just want to get blown away in the bass (I have lived with no bass on my rig for far too long). Then later when I swap out the M7 desktops to something more decent, I can get blown away again with decent mids and highs.

Thanks again for the info. :D

Edit: Read the link. Thanks. So it is a high out/low out setup tuned to the optimum crossover frequency for the driver setup.

Took apart one of the Z-5500 satellites today in case anyone's interested.

General process is:
- remove grill
- those 4 rubber holes the grill went into, those are inserts, remove with needlenose pliers
- in those holes are philips-head screws, remove them and the whole unit comes apart

First up: the parts, here you'll see the screws, grill, and rubber inserts

img1408e.jpg

The empty screwhole & driver (3" aluminum)

img1411c.jpg

Back side of the driver, in that casing is the magnet which moves the speaker, this accounts for 90% of the weight of the unit.

img1409s.jpg

Lastly, we see the baffle (that air intake tube), due to the small size of the unit, the air has a rather convoluted path to take. Also note how the frame of the unit is just thick plastic, typically speakers use 1/2" MDF with all the edges glued together, no glue here, just screws.

img1414e.jpg

There's a very good & simple reason for wanting to have a better box: speakers make sound by moving air, a poor box will vibrate on its own and also allow air to flow through non-regulated paths.

This concludes part 1 of 'What's in my Zs?'

I have a little tip: make sure your speakers are not right up against the wall. I need to keep my Swans at least six inches away or they get annoying boomy sound.

Btw, I think you need to redo your title by asking a mod to change it to something like "Audio FAQ" or something. No newbie is going to look at "Arkangyls Great Big Audio Post" and go "Oh, THAT's where I need to look to get my questions answered!"

I would not buy main speakers that cannot reproduce down to at least 80hz, if not 60-70hz. This requires at least 5 1/4" drivers (or 2 4" drivers per unit). Sounds becomes easily localized once you move above 80hz. If you have a subwoofer reproducing 80-100, 80-120, 80-150hz, that spectrum will sound like it's coming from your subwoofer.

That's a big no-no.

I would not buy main speakers that cannot reproduce down to at least 80hz, if not 60-70hz. This requires at least 5 1/4" drivers (or 2 4" drivers per unit). Sounds becomes easily localized once you move above 80hz. If you have a subwoofer reproducing 80-100, 80-120, 80-150hz, that spectrum will sound like it's coming from your subwoofer.

That's a big no-no.

Thank god a noobie with some common sense. The Computer Audio section welcomes you with open arms. :)

That's a big no-no.

Yeah, there are some exceptions though, the M-Audio AV40s sound brilliant and they only go down to 85hz.

Absolutely kill my old Z-5500s though. I'm thinking of getting a sub to fill in the low end - but it's just too expensive for a good one :p, especially in Canada.

The only exception to the 80hz rule is if your subwoofer is in the same LOS as your mains, in which case its not an issue for sound to appear to come from that direction. 80hz isn't a firm line, either, localization still happens below 80hz, it's just not a pin point source, but an 'area', or 'bubble' that expands the lower you go.

As for subwoofers, a powered 8" driver (~$100) will be adequate for any room under 15x10.

Kijiji is your friend. I picked up a Reel RSS-8 for $40.

Wow great price. I think I'll check those kinda sites then.

Really want a sub, more so for movies than music, but music can use that extra low end as well.

original main post, re-posted in case anyone likes it better

Version 1.0 of main post

So lately there have been more than a few threads popping up with the same questions being posed along with banter about a certain set of speakers.

**This thread is meant to be a primer! There is so much to say about the science and technology surrounding audio that I coundn't hope to touch on even 10% of it here. I just hope this will prove to be a good read & answer the basic redundant questions being asked!!! I also don't have many links in here, that's for a later edit or another thread

**NOTE: I talk about frequency a lot, I'm an engineer and occasionally forget that it's a foreign concept to some. Read the Wiki page for more detail but the basics are that lower frequencies are sounds like explosions & the thump thump thumps, high frequencies are the screams of little girls.

First, I want to talk about the Logitech Z-5500 speaker set. I have them, I also have some nice headphones & other speaker sets which fall both above and below the Zs on the quality ladder. I want to make a quick, general statement about the Zs:

They are computer speakers, they should be valued at $150-180, at that price they are okay.

Now then, what I mean is that they are not sound emitting fecal matter. However they are also not very good. You see, Computer speakers, as a product genre, are not the best. They are made and sold with the same sort of profit margins as things like Monster cables and the LED fans you see at BestBuy for $20 a piece.

The Zs are bad because they force everything from 100 to 20,000+ Hz through 3" drivers. Look at any quality speaker out there, typically you have a 3-5.25" woofer which handles sound from 100 to 3000 Hz and a tweeter which does everything above 3000 Hz. Trying to put everything north of 100 Hz through the same driver is like trying to use a mouse with only one button, it can be done, but do you really want to? The Z's were designed to do one thing: be loud, the sub, power ratings, and 3" drivers can all get pretty loud without distorting and this kit was designed to do 5.1 audio for people who like to watch things blow up. There were not made for Mozart. The Z-5500 are the V-TEC of the audio world, except not quite as technologically cool as V-TEC is, but the ricers are still there.

My other big complaint about the Z's, their specs. Look at Logitech's posted specs versus Swan or Onkyo. The Z's satellites are rated at 10% THD (total harmonic distortion), Swan and Onkyo are both 1% (usually less!). THD is, simply put, a measure of how the audio signal is altered from its base form.

Now then, the biggest argument for the Zs is that they have Dolby, THX, DTS, and STDs. I'm going to quickly invalidate that argument with two bullet points:
- Those things only apply if you're using the digital input on the Zs
- The DAC on the Zs is pretty bad and any modern sound card and most onboard soundcards do a better job so you really ought be using the analog inputs which means that the Z having all those cute little stickers about what it supports means jack-shit

There, those are my thoughts on the Zs, sorry for spending so much time on them but look at the front page of the Audio forum, about half the threads talk about them.

Now then, on to all things audio! First off, some links to places and threads that talk about things better than I ever could
Head-Fi forums
Head-Fi
headphone buyers guide

Computer audio, I think everyone has a basic idea of how it works (sound cards, speakers, maybe even DAC and receivers). Now, how about we go on a journey and see the whole story with some science mixed in?

You're still reading? Sweet, I sort of assumed that everyone would either ctrl+F or just close this tab by now. Lets start at the beginning: inside your computer!
All sounds start life as an audio file on your hard drive, they can be called many things: mp3, FLAC, wav, etc. Here's where our fun starts, the sound you hear will only be as good as your audio file allows it to be. Most mp3's floating around out there are low-quality mp3's (I'm looking at torrents, iTunes, Amazon & anywhere else you buy
online). Now I'm sure most everyone's heard a mp3, and they do sound okay, but consider this: a five minute audio file, un-compressed, is about 250 mb, a 5 minutes low-qual mp3 is 5mb, a high-qual (320kb/s rip) is 15mb, a FLAC rip is 120mb. What does this all mean? In a word: compression! Compression is a fancy way of taking something digital (made of 0s and 1s) and making it smaller. Think of it this way, take a book and replace all occurrences of the word "the" with 0, replace all instances of "Hello there my friend" with 0001. The more you replace, the smaller the book will be! This is what audio files (mp3, FLAC, all of them!) do. The difference is that FLAC and other high-quality formats compress the files less, and were designed specifically for audio, mp3 was designed for mp3 players back when 5mb was still a decently large file (remember those days of 128mb flash cards?). My point is that the more you compress something, the worse it will sound. The decompression is done on the fly as you're playing a file, and thus it's not perfect and detail will be lost. However this is why an iTunes aac will sound more or less the same on an iPod as on a very nice audio system (assuming the same speakers or headphones are being used to hear the music). The big point here is that if all you have are aac/mp3s from iTunes or bit-torrent (I'm NOT condoning or encouraging anything, stolen music sounds like crap, that, IMO, is a very good reason to NOT steal) then it's really not worth it for you to go and buy top-end soundcards & speakers. Onboard audio going to a decent set of speakers will do just as well.

*iTunes also sells higher quality music files which are pretty decent. Also as an edit music you buy from iTunes comes as a .acc format and also DRM on it (I'm a bit out of date with this info, did they ever start selling DRM-free stuff?) and generally only works with iTunes / iPods, I believe there are apps to convert it but I'm not 100% sure, I'll re-edit this later.
*some of my audio-compression info is not 100% accurate (the general idea is correct though)
phide said:
...unless it's perceptually transparent, in which it will sound no different than the original uncompressed file. This most certainly doesn't apply to FLAC, either, which is a lossless format. FLAC, and other lossless coding schemes, use coding techniques to reduce file size without any degradation to the audio.

I'm going to now state a very important concept: the weakest link. The weakest link in your audio chain will always hamper you and nothing can surpass that level of quality.

Okay everybody, moving on from audio files to soundcards now. We all know soundcards, I hope. I'm now going to be a dick and break the nice, simple concept of a soundcard down into a few different pieces: the audio chipset, the DAC, and the amplifiers.

Part I, the audio chipset. The chipset takes a digital signal and and churns out a digital signal when it's done. This is what actually does all those fancy acronyms. Dobly, EAX, DTS, are all just standards and algorithms for taking sound and enchaining it and giving it location. Audio chipsets basically come in three flavors:

El-Cheapo: what comes on lower level motherboards, these chipsets don't really do that much
Benjamins: The $100 range, the Realtek 888/889/1200 line, the X-Fi line, pretty much any soundcard costing $100 and any motherboard north of $100 will have one of these chipsets, they'll do all the encoding and decoding that you'll ever want
The velvet rope club: Like I said of the Benjamins, once you hit these chipsets there's not a whole lot more to be done here, soundcards costing more than $100 are usually there because of the DACs and Amps (keep reading!).

Good read on the Xonar Essence STX head-fi review, reviewer was using XP (no ALchemy) but in that environment found that gaming wasn't that great compared to X-Fi solutions. I believe this should be less of an issue in Vista due to how Vista (and Win 7) handle audio.

*note* EAX is a gaming standard that came from Creative Labs, due to the way Vista handles audio, EAX isn't really that important in Vista or Windows 7. Also EAX 1,2, & 3 are done on most every $100+ soundcard and many onboard audio solutions

Part II, the DAC. The DAC is what takes all those zeros and ones that sit oh so nicely in your computer and turn them into analog waveforms which your speakers understand and then translate into what you hear. A DAC is a translator and like translating a book, a translator can make or break the experience. Cheap DACs are pretty much like having someone who majored in Latin translate the Iliad, really the base level does sound okay, you'll get the whole story and technically it will all be there. However a nice DAC is having a poet fully fluent in both Latin and your native language doing the translating, all the depth and beauty locked inside the Iliad will become available to you, and the end experience will be something incredible. That, my good friends, is why a good DAC matters. Creative Labs use decent
DACs, the Asus Xonar line use better ones (the Xonar Essence STX uses some of the best DACs which are Burr-Brown's), external sources such as the Fubar and Zero use Burr-Browns as well. For more info about top end DACs, please check out Head-fi or ask in this forum.

Part III, the amps. Crank it to 11 because 11 is more than 10! The digital signal being tossed around your computer, and the analog signal coming from the DAC, are both pretty damn small. This is the essence of electrical and computer engineering, using really small voltages inside microelectronics. The amp takes a signal that you probably couldn't hear if it were sent directly to your speakers and cranks up the volume. Good amps do this without distorting the sound, bad amps are like an idiot with a flamethrower: everything dies. Really all I can offer in this small space is to say that amps
matter, a LOT! There's a very good and real reason why people pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to have a good amp. The Xonar Essence STX has some really nice amps on it, the X-Fi cards do not (but there are some cool mods out there!).

Part IV, the output. Ahh, yes, we're about to leave your computer! Isn't it exciting? Now then young audiophile, which way do you go? With your digital outputs (optical or coaxial) or analog (all those other connectors)? Well, it depends what you're going to. In short: if you use the digital outputs the DAC and amps on your soundcard are being bypassed. If you're sending onboard audio to a receiver or an external DAC, then you're going to use digital outputs. If you're connecting your speakers directly (including the Z-5500), use the analog outputs. If you have the Xonar Essence STX, use the analog outputs to connect to your home theater also (since you have an awesome DAC & amps on your card).

Whew, that was quite a bit, wasn't it? Well, we're almost there! Before we get to speakers, lets quickly talk about four things that can exists in between your computer and your speakers.

External DAC, I mentioned these before, the Fubar II and Zero
DAC are the most commonly mentioned products. They use Burr-Brown DACs and are better than pretty much all sound cards except for the Xonar Essence STX. Some external DACs also connect via USB (rather than digital) which makes them excellent for laptops & Macs (yep, this is something you can use to actually upgrade a Mac!).

External Amps, I've mentioned these before too. Basically, a better amp will make your music both louder and it will distort it less in doing so. Most sound cards have really basic amps and if you crank the volume in your OS to full, they won't sound quite as good as if you keep it between 30-50% and then use an external amp (again the Xonar Essence STX is the exception). There are numerous amp cults out there, at some point you'll come across tube amps, mostly you'll see people talk about the different types of sounds you can get (warm, tinny, sharp, etc..) in short there's a large area of performance and once you hit the wall, everything that comes next are semantics. Chances are the cycle will go like this:
First you get a nice sound card / DAC w/ basic amp and you're happy with how much better things sound than with onboard audio. Then you go and get a nice external amp and find you can go up to 11 and still enjoy the sound (and it sounds better!). Then you look beyond your starter amp and see the Gumdrop Forest, next thing you know you've spent a few thousand dollars on various amps and are arguing on the internet about which amp makes 1000 - 1200 Hz sound warmer than others.

Power supply, clean power is a good thing. The power coming from your wall socket is just a big old lump of AC power. Everything has a power supply in it or connected to it which turns that power in direct current (DC). In short: a cheap / bad PSU (power supply unit) will have voltage that looks like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/, a good power supply looks like this ---------. as I'm sure you've realized by now, sound is voltage at a specific frequency, the cleaner (more like ---) your power is, the better everything will sound. It's why we spend $200 on a good power supply for our computer, same goes for audio.

Cables, ahh our friends Monster cables and the like. There is a drop of truth to a gallon of bullshit here. Yes cables can make a difference, like the power supply better cables equal cleaner sound. However it really just means a bit more shielding (keeping the different wires separate from each other & blocking external interference). Buying $10 cables rather than the thin, included ones is good, Monster for $80 is bullshit.

Receivers (since I haven't mentioned them yet), typically have a DAC and amp in them. They take a digital or analog input and output directly to the speakers.

Stop: speaker time!

Speakers take that audio signal we've talked so much about and turn it into sound. They take a voltage waveform and use magnetic drivers to move air in such a manner that it sounds like sex in your ears (or like a monkey farting depending on what you buy).

Again, there's an epic amount of science, money, and time that go into speakers, I'm going to go for a short version here.

Speakers are broken into three main parts: the subwoofer, the woofer/driver, and the tweeter.
-Subwoofers tend to be 8-15" in size and handle frequencies of 100 Hz and below (typically), they make those explosions rattle your walls if made correctly.
-Woofers are 2-8", typically 3 or 5.25" in most speakers, and handle frequencies between 100 and 2000 Hz.
-Tweeters are much smaller and come in numerous forms, they do everything north of 2000 Hz typically.
-Crossovers are circuits which take the income signal which is 1 to 20,000 Hz and break it up into 1-100, 100-2000, and 2000+ Hz components and send it to the appropriate place. In the more sciency bit of things, crossovers can be altered so the crossover point (100 and 2000 Hz in my examples) are changed to other frequencies. This is done to fine tune performance based on what woofers & tweeters you specifically have.

Speakers are denoted as x.y, x is the number of speakers and y is the number of subwoofers, 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 are the most common options.

There are an epic number of threads talking about what to get, the short version is this:
$100 Swan M10 (2.1)
$120 Swan M1080 (2.0)
$190 Swan M200MkII (2.0)
$250 Onkyo 3100 (5.1, home theater ina box)

There are a few very important things to think about here:
- Forcing all frequencies through a single driver (like the Z-5500 and $10 speakers) is a bad idea, it's like taking a nice Italian dinner & putting it in a blending and then drinking it like a smoothly.

- Soundstage, this is a fancy term referring to what everything sounds like when you're sitting there listening to your speakers. In short, a good 2.0 / 2.1 setup will create a better soundstage than a bad 5.1 setup. This means that 2 speakers will sound more like surround sound than 5 speakers will. There's a lot of fancy science here, but in short it has to do with accurately re-creating the sounds & how they're projected into a room. Much like a good ventriloquist can make it appear that people on the other side of the room are talking, a good 2.0 setup can make it seem like the sound is all around you

- Specifications, I think speakers are about the only thing people around here buy without fully understanding the specifications. Most people look at power, inputs, and the stickers, and that's about it, but there is oh so much more to consider!
THD (total harmonic distortion), is a measure of distortion of the harmonic frequencies (harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency), these distortions are generally rather low (according to specs, all Swan & Onkyo systems are 1% or lower, Logitech is at 10% though!) and not perceived by the human ear (for most of us, the difference between 1% and .8% isn't worth paying for)
SNR (signal to noise ratio), is signal strength relative to background noise (SNR = 20*[log base 10](V signal / V noise)), the high the SNR the better, however know that 40 dB is VERY good and around 80 dB will be enough for most people as we're talking about very minor levels of distorion (Swan says they're north of 80 dB, Logitech says 93.5 dB, Onkyo says 100 dB)
RMS power, ahh, RMS versus peak power. The short & sweet explanation is that RMS is the power the systems going to be capable of, and peak is a sort of one-time maximum. RMS is what you care about. (Logitech = 505w, Swan M10 = 40w, Onkyo = 700w). Also look at watts per channel rather than just overall system power to compare 5.1 to 2.1 and 2.0.
Speakers this is the kicker I mentioned in the Z rant. typically you have 3 items in a sound system: the subwoofer (0 - 100/150 Hz), the woofer / driver (100-3000 Hz), and the tweeter (2 khz and up). Again, I'll give you the short version now: sound is made by taking voltage at a given frequency and using it to drive a magnet which moves a cone to move air in such a manner that you hear sound. Subwoofers are big because they need to move a lot of air so you 'feel' the lower frequencies (and because accurately re-creating those sounds requires a larger volume of air to be moved). Subwoofers are your bazookas. Woofers / drivers move the middle frequencies. They're pretty similar to subwoofers but they're smaller so they can react much faster, these are your M-16's. Finally you have tweeters, the smallest of the lot, they deal with the high frequencies and to do so don't have to move as much air, but need to be much faster about it, these are your P90's.
As I said, MOST kits have tweeters that are 1/8" to 1/4", woofer / drivers in the 4 - 5 1/4" range and subwoofers at 8" or more. Logitech only uses 3" drivers to do the work of woofers and tweeters, and some have reported that they send frequencies much higher than 100 Hz to the subwoofer. I'm hoping to take mine apart soon and find out the specifics of what they do for a crossover and see if there are any mods that can be done to them.

Thanks for reading & have a nice day :)

Whew, first update done (I'd roll this into the previous post, v1.0, but I was right at the 20,000 character limit :-P)

Feedback on the new version please????

Just got my Xonar Essence STX in today.

This card is as good as it's been hyped up to be, utterly fantastic.

The STX portrays substantially more detail than any of my other cards. I can make out background instruments much better than before, including some I've never heard before in songs I listen too quite often. The sound is also much warmer than before.

What I'm hearing most is the decay from the guitars, on my old cards it was a very basic decay, the sound faded out, with the STX it sounds more or less exactly like it does in person. Same goes for voices, the decay sounds much more organic.

Use of the Dolby Headphone software is also quite interesting, considering most of my music is stereo trying to simulate 5.1 adds nothing to the experience, but I'll give it a shot in games later and add on.

Just got my Xonar Essence STX in today.

This card is as good as it's been hyped up to be, utterly fantastic.

The STX portrays substantially more detail than any of my other cards. I can make out background instruments much better than before, including some I've never heard before in songs I listen too quite often. The sound is also much warmer than before.

What I'm hearing most is the decay from the guitars, on my old cards it was a very basic decay, the sound faded out, with the STX it sounds more or less exactly like it does in person. Same goes for voices, the decay sounds much more organic.

Use of the Dolby Headphone software is also quite interesting, considering most of my music is stereo trying to simulate 5.1 adds nothing to the experience, but I'll give it a shot in games later and add on.

What was your old card? I'm planning on getting the Xonar DX, wondering how it stacks up.

Gonna give this a shameless little bump with a quick note:

On the Asus Xonar Essnce STX:

I had a change to get quite a bit of gaming in with this card over the weekend, mostly Call of Duty: World at War (or as I call it, Invading Japan with Jack Bauer), tried out both the Dolby Headphone (virtual 7.1) and regular settings.

Dolby Headphone gave excellent positional audio in-game to me (8 channels of audio selected in the Asus menu), to me, Call of Duty has always excelled at the cinematic quality of the game and the quality of their audio. After reading those reviews saying the Xonar STX wasn't that great in games, I have to disagree, coming from the Foxconn Sonar system (EAX 4.0 support through Creative! drivesr) and 5.1 speakers, STX + headphones was as good if not better at 'telling' me where everything was happening. With the volume up a bit the bass was quite good too :)

And the important part: the girlfriend sitting 4 feet away was oblivious to the chaos I was raining down upon Japan & Stalingrad, excellent! Of course this lead to me getting hit rather often as it was the only way for her to to get my attention.

Thanks for the great article, do you know what Windows 7 will be like in terms of how to choose the right sound card?

Thanks for the great article, do you know what Windows 7 will be like in terms of how to choose the right sound card?

What do you mean? You choose a soundcard based on the soundcard, not the OS. And Windows 7 is out now btw.. has been for awhile.

Back