Black stain/shadow on LCD

grayprint

Weaksauce
I've just noticed my NEC 20WMGX2 has black shadowy looking stain across the top edge of the monitor. It's not fully black but has a transparency to it. Is this fixable or do I need to replace my monitor? :(

I've just noticed my NEC 20WMGX2 has black shadowy looking stain across the top edge of the monitor. It's not fully black but has a transparency to it. Is this fixable or do I need to replace my monitor? :(

My Dell 2001FP has a similar one, vertically from the top left corner. It almost looks like a watermark, like when a piece of paper gets wet on the edge and turns a shade darker. It's hardly noticeable unless I look for it. I've relegated that monitor to office work now and it doesn't really bother me (still an awesome 1600x1200 LCD otherwise). It appeared a couple years after I got the monitor, but I messed around and let the 3 year warranty expire without getting Dell to replace it.

AFAIK there is no fix for these LCD shadows, but if you find out different I'd like to hear it!

I'm glad you understood what I meant from my description haha. But yeah, it is as you described and I don't really see it but it is definitely noticeable. Do you know the cause for this?

I have the same problem with my 20wmgx. Apparently it's a known issue with 20 inch as-ips monitors. Nothing can be done about it. It gets worse over time as well.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like burn-in or image retention (whatever they call it). I can see the outline of my title bar. I can't explain the blob to the left of it though. I'll try to run a pure white screen saver to see if it helps.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like burn-in or image retention (whatever they call it). I can see the outline of my title bar. I can't explain the blob to the left of it though. I'll try to run a pure white screen saver to see if it helps.
Sometimes my 2001FP also will retain a static image (like a title bar) for awhile before it fades away. Actually most any display technology is prone to some degree of IR, although it's rarely if ever permanent with LCDs like it can be with CRTs and some plasma panels.

My 2001FP's "watermark" certainly isn't burn-in, it's an irregularly shaped, darker area that extends about 4-5 inches down my panel on the top left side. Again, much like you'd see from water soaking into the edge of a sheet of paper.

Funny thing though is that I can't see it right now. Been there for years so I'm sure it's not gone, but I just looked at a full-white page on that monitor so that I could more accurately describe it, and now I can't find it! I should be so lucky, but at least it goes to show that it must not be too obtrusive if it's hard to find. :)

I would try http://www.jscreenfix.com/

there is a web based app for screen burn in, wouldn't hurt to try it. I had the same problem with my dual Samsung 940-b LCD's, it went away after a while though, so there is hope for you!

Well I ran a white screen saver all night and it didn't seem to do anything. I will give that program a try next I think. Pity, this was the best monitor I've ever owned and I had a Sony CPD400 CRT before this.

Just Googling around and stumbled across this thread. HP LP2475W has a mild stain in the top right corner. I finally figured out what it is though. It is the retention of a Firefox Persona theme namely the tail of the fox! lol. Changed themes and hope for it to eventually go away. Strange how it's only the tail caused that though.

Last edited:
I also had this problem on my 2001fp/2007fp and had the same problem (dark splotch on the screen) on 4 out of 7 replacements from Dell (the other 3 had different problems) so I eventually was just given a refund and I then decided to ditch LCDs permanently for my trusty Sony GDM-F520 CRT. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a defect which IPS panels are prone to. This problem is not burn-in and the only way to fix it is likely replacing the panel itself (read: uneconomical).

Last edited:
Back