FileFront closing up shop

Indeed.

I used filefront to get all of my patches for non-steam games. No annoying waiting queues like fileplanet or intrusive adverts.

The recession claims another victim.

FileFront is dead... Long live FileFront!!!

Indeed.

I used filefront to get all of my patches for non-steam games. No annoying waiting queues like fileplanet or intrusive adverts.

Yeah, I really can't stand fileplanet. I would be willing to bet their wait queues will get even longer now.

Man, that sucks. One of the best alternatives to the dreaded "wait in line" services (ala fileshack/fileplanet). Who seriously pays to download patches?

Let's hope this is an april fools joke.

Nope, I know some people that work for bf2files, all the filefront paid staff have been laid off and the volunteers have been locked out. They are really dead, and there is no joke. :(

Let's hope this is an april fools joke.

That doesn't make sense because it would be 2 days early. I find it weird not enough description of why other than economy, Not even asking for support to stay alive from the users, i'm sure lots of people might donate to keep them alive.

That doesn't make sense because it would be 2 days early. I find it weird not enough description of why other than economy, Not even asking for support to stay alive from the users, i'm sure lots of people might donate to keep them alive.

They weren't given the choice, upper management sent the notice that everything is being shut down and that is final. I'm pretty sure that the staff would do almost anything to keep it running, but zd has said no to their requests.:mad:

I would imagine it would be hard to keep that sort of business running purely on advertising revenue, which is probably why FilePlanet and others make you wait in a queue unless you pay for a subscription.

FileFront's bandwidth costs must be killer.

Oh deeeer god, Where will all the WoW players who upload "frag" videos upload these incredible interesting videos now?

Nooooo

(I know "dear")

omg.. Filefront?

I was about to rejoice, I thought it was FilePLANET..

DAMN.. this was my favorite site for patches and demos.. Fileplanet sucks with their Q's and more or less forced subscription..

Anyone know of a good alternative website for that type of stuff? Without the queues?

That sucks. Makes me happy that I've kept a bunch of patches around for old games but it's still going to be a major invonvenience. I'm sure as hell not going to pay to download patches unless I have to.

If they weren't owned by ZD they might have been able to survive. ZD is dying and taking everything they own down with it.

omg.. Filefront?

DAMN.. this was my favorite site for patches and demos.. Fileplanet sucks with their Q's and more or less forced subscription..

Anyone know of a good alternative website for that type of stuff? Without the queues?

Gamers Hell is pretty good.

This really sucks, I got some of my best downloads from them, good services:(

Well, although this does suck...perhaps it will follow the trend ive seen over the years.....When something like this happens and they close the doors, that closing is usually the opening for others. Perhaps some of the people who ran Filefront will branch off and create their own file download site???

It beats the hell out of file shack and file planet and all them other sites.

omg.. Filefront?

Ah, let's see if we can figure out what happens here...

- Site favored by the public because it's free, fast, easy, no queues, and no subscription...fails

- Site everyone bitches and gripes about because of the long queues you have to sit through ads waiting in or paying for your downloads...keeps plugging along just fine.

I'm not pretending to be Nostradamus or anything, here, but...uhhh...can you say "obviously unsustainable business model"? I think this is another case of "you get what you pay for", and if you want to pay for nothing...well, turns out, that's what ya get...

(Moral of the story: if you like something, expect to have to support it financially. It's just the way the world works.)

Ah, let's see if we can figure out what happens here...

- Site favored by the public because it's free, fast, easy, no queues, and no subscription...fails

- Site everyone bitches and gripes about because of the long queues you have to sit through ads waiting in or paying for your downloads...keeps plugging along just fine.

I'm not pretending to be Nostradamus or anything, here, but...uhhh...can you say "obviously unsustainable business model"? I think this is another case of "you get what you pay for", and if you want to pay for nothing...well, turns out, that's what ya get...

(Moral of the story: if you like something, expect to have to support it financially. It's just the way the world works.)

Let me ask you this then: Why would anyone pay Fileplanet if they can get the same speeds and same content (minus the betas here and there) for free? I would think Filefront would have stolen members from Fileplanet and those suckers could have clicked some of the ads, generating more revenue.

But we may never know. It really is a shame, though. Their forums we're very informative for specific games, too, albeit low userbase.

Was hoping it was fileplanet that was shutting down. This is sad news indeed :(

Who seriously pays to download patches?
Exactly, especially considering that they can be downloaded from the publisher free of charge.

Who cares if FileFront is gone, seriously, so you have to go to the publisher for downloads, big deal.

Well I usually use gamershell.com to download game patches, demos etc, I do use FileFront sometimes and it will be missed.

Exactly, especially considering that they can be downloaded from the publisher free of charge.

Who cares if FileFront is gone, seriously, so you have to go to the publisher for downloads, big deal.

Google "Deus Ex patch". (It's relevant with TNM being released a few days back.)

Games age, developers/publishers go out of business or drop support and you're stuck with a download service if you don't keep those patches around.

What? that's a bummer for us, but I feel even worse for the people that have lost their jobs. I've been there before and it's tough times....

this sucks i used them more than the others, and for many years. will have to remember to raise a drink on the 30th.

filefront was really my go to website for downloading demos. I always had good speed with their severs. But they definitely lost some support for me because of their crappy website layout compared to fileplanet.

I'm sorry, have you ever tried to download a patch for a game like PURE?

This sucks. I loved these guys and the service they offered. I guess I'll have to remember what my fileshack mercury account name and password are.

I'd use gamer's hell, if their page wasn't so crappy to navigate.

I used to volunteer for one of the FileFront network sites, and I can tell you the network staff are doing the best they can to backup the sites.

Here is a list of the (network) sites that have been backed up by staff members. But that's all that's happened so far. They've been/are being backed up.

http://arloria.net/ircrts/wiki/Main_Page

Will miss this site. I've always used it for uploading files and many things. If there was an option for filefront i always used it. They have a lot of file websites for many games also. Thats going to be a pretty big loss. I don't like waiting in line at fileplanet.

I moved to worthdownloading.com a while ago but this is still bad news. But I guess with the massive increase in patch size/bandwidth usage this would eventually happen as I doubt advertising increased.

Back