Will any DVI-HDMI Dongle/Cable work for 4870x2 Audio?

benbronco

n00b
I have a HD 4870x2 OEM without any software or DVI-HDMI dongles or cables.
I was wondering if the onboard audio would work through HDMI using any off the shelf DVI-HDMI cable or dongle. For those of you who bought a retail version of the 4870x2 is your DVI-HDMI dongle vendor specific?

Is your audio system connected through the screen/hdtv that has the hdmi port? Or is it going from your sound card into the speakers?

To my knowledge, the ATI driver activates both the GPU and Audio processor that's on the 4870.

I just use a $6 HDMI cable, and the HDMI/DVI converter on the card and run it into the HDMI port on my 50" TV.

Full screen action with sound in 1 cable!

EVE Online is SWEET this huge :)

ATI Catalyst driver has never activated the audio on my card. I have always had to install the separate HD audio driver from the AMD website

I've not troubleshot it beyond that. I simply plugged the HDMI into my TV from my X2's DVI/HDMI converter, went into the Vista sound control panel, and changed the primary sound source from the onboard to the HDMI, and I had full entertainment center action! :)

I've always shows multiple "sound cards" in my sound control panel with my ATI cards. Even my 2600XT's on my extra boxes show HDMI sound, and they have just the Cat's installed.

To my knowledge, the ATI driver activates both the GPU and Audio processor that's on the 4870.

I just use a $6 HDMI cable, and the HDMI/DVI converter on the card and run it into the HDMI port on my 50" TV.

Full screen action with sound in 1 cable!

EVE Online is SWEET this huge :)

My card didn't come with its own DVI/HDMI converter because it was OEM. So I am wondering if it should work with any DVI/HDMI converter?

Yeah...I would think any converter will do. With the last 6 ATI card purchases, 4 from HIS 2 from VisionTEK - the only thing different is the color.

To my knowledge, it has to be an ATI DVI to HDMI.... if you use say... a Monster DVI to HDMI, it won't carry sound because its only designed to carry video. The ATI DVI to HDMI is designed to carry sound. I think through some extra pins or something. I may be wrong though, someone correct me if I am.

a dvi to hdmi cable will not carry the audio. i've tried it before. the only way to get hdmi audio out of the ati card is to use the adapter.

a dvi to hdmi cable will not carry the audio. i've tried it before. the only way to get hdmi audio out of the ati card is to use the adapter.

thats not true, you just have to make sure the DVI end is using ALL the pins, or has enough.

there are some DVi-HDMi that only do video and there are some that do both video and audio.

I've heard conflicting reports on this subject.

To answer my own question then. I tried a DVI-HDMI cable and it didn't work for me. So I got an ATI DVI-HDMI dongle and the audio now works.

Back