New SSD Random Freezes in Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaemish

Weaksauce
I just installed Vista 64 to a single OCZSSD2-1SLD60G. All system drivers are up to date, indexing is off, superfetch off, prefetch off, system restore off, and search off.

When I use tabs in firefox there is sometimes these 3 second freezes where I can't click anything in there or go back (scroll wheel, mouse back buttons don't work). But I can click on things like the start menu.

Any idea what would cause this? I have a Giagabyte motherboard.

Firefox does caching as well as its own form of indexing because it creates a tiny database (SQL style, iirc) when it's in use and that causes a lot of tiny random writes to occur - and small random writes are where SSD technology takes the worst possible hits to performance, even on the best of 'em.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186

Read the stickies there, and scroll through the forum itself (the SSD subforum I mean) for the best info you'll find out there on SSD tweaks and how to alleviate a lot of the issues with using them, with any software and operating system.

Good luck...

Thanks, that is the forum that I have gotten most of my info from. I didn't search for Firefox though because I have gotten a lot of good information from this site. I figured it had something to do with small writes but thought someone would know off hand. I'll go back and take a look.

Im going to resurrect this very very old thread. It seems that my new Corsair 120G Force 3 locks up in firefox at random. I know this has been going for years apparently because this thread is from 2009.

I guess manually moving firefox cache to a mechanical disk might fix it? Anyone else seen this problem still to this day?

Thanks and heres to refreshing a thread that is very old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back