Increasing Windows XP Shared Connection Limit

rashly

n00b
I have a Windows XP Pro PC (SP3) which is approaching the 10 connection shared limit. This isn't the half-open connection limit, but the actual share limit. Does anyone know of any hacks to increase the limit on XP? I really don't want to have to put Windows Server just so I can have 12 shares.

I recognize those options, but they will not work for this particular situation. I need to have XP running.

why dont you just put the necessary folders inside one of the shares?
I didnt know that the limit was actually 10, i just thought that performance will decrease if you have more than 10.

why dont you just put the necessary folders inside one of the shares?

That is not the issue. The issue is that xp will only allow 10 machines to connect at once.

OP I don't know of a way to do this without breaking the eula.

It requires the modification or replacement of a file that violates the EULA. Pickup a used copy of 2003 server and be done with the limitations...

Did anyone actually see this forbidden in the EULA? I can't find it in there.

You can alleviate some of the disconnecting per Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882

However, a "desktop operating system" is designed to handle "up to 10"....besides the literal limit, it loses efficiency as it approaches 10 also. The "server" service is not tuned as well as the server service on a full blown server operating system. A desktop OS really begins to "sag" in performance at a number much lower than 10 remote/concurrent users on it.

Just like the hardware it runs on...you have a disk subsystem and a network card that is really only designed for "workstation" loads. Instead of hardware designed for heavier duty use...server grade NICs that are designed to handle heavier throughput, disks and disk controllers, etc.

Can't believe i'm doing this.

I take no responsibility, and suggest you take a full backup before proceeding, this will also void any support from MS for your installation. Along with break licensing terms in XP SP2

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools

The TCPIP.SYS patch is only for outgoing TCP connections...which was introduced with XPsp2 to reduce the thread of worms spreading. (lowered the max outgoing TCP connections from 50 to 10).

Really only useful for P2P users. It has absolutely zero to do with network share 10 connection limit, which was introduced by Microsoft in Windows NT Workstation SP3.

The TCPIP.SYS patch is only for outgoing TCP connections...which was introduced with XPsp2 to reduce the thread of worms spreading. (lowered the max outgoing TCP connections from 50 to 10).

Really only useful for P2P users. It has absolutely zero to do with network share 10 connection limit, which was introduced by Microsoft in Windows NT Workstation SP3.

Oops, my bad, lol

Thanks anyway, but I'm looking to up the share limit, not the half-open connections.

After a long google search it doesn't look like there are any hacks out there to do it.

Thanks anyway, but I'm looking to up the share limit, not the half-open connections.

After a long google search it doesn't look like there are any hacks out there to do it.

Their are ways to do it but as I said they are against the eula as they involve hacking the os. Because of this we can't go into them here.

Back