Marvel AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Sata PCI-E 4x non-raid controller card

Romir

Limp Gawd
This card appears to have gone up on Supermicro's site recently as the PDF manual creation date is 2/2/09. I would've expected some chatter about it somewhere by now. A google search of the model only brings up 8 results. One of them is a dutch shop and they seem to be listing it for roughly $125. I could be very wrong about that price though. Is this the card that Unraid, WHS, and software raid community have been waiting years for?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm

Overview
The AOC-SASLP-MV8 add-on card is a highly efficient, highly compatible and
easy-to-use SAS/SATA Controller that allows the user to connect to up to eight drives
using Marvell's 88SE6480 Serial ATA/SAS Host Controller and a PCI-E x4 interface with
high performance features.

Product Features
The AOC-SASLP-MV8 add-on card offers the following features:
• Low profile Form Factor (w/ the PCB size of 4.75" H x 2.5" W)
• Marvell's 88SE6480 Serial ATA Host Controller supports 8 SAS/SATA ports
• Two mini SAS connectors can connect to 8 internal SAS/SATA drives with iPass
cables
• PCI-E x4
• Flash BIOS Interface
• Presence LED Indicator and Activity Indicator for each connected drive
• JBOD (Simple Volume) support
• Boots from a single drive.

I'm already dreaming of one of these in an upcoming lower power mini-itx chipset. Or maybe two in a micro-atx system...

I'm surprised it took companies this long to come out with a nice, cheap PCIe SATA controller card for those who don't want RAID functionality; I suppose the SFF-8087 ports is a nice added bonus for cable management, though the breakout cables aren't nearly as cheap as SATA cables. :(

Still, I'd love to see benchmarks on this puppy. :)

I hope it's a regular PCIe card and not one of their weird backwards form factors.
$120 is not bad, but as mentioned, you have to get the miniSAS breakout cables
which will add $30 to the cost... then again wiring will be a little cleaner this way.

Personally I'm waiting for more information about the new Areca SAS HBA.
Arc-1300ix-16: 16 internal, 8 external ports, PCIe 4x, SAS HBA.

Similarly, a google search only results in some european webshop w/out
any pricing info.

I hope it's a regular PCIe card and not one of their weird backwards form factors.
$120 is not bad, but as mentioned, you have to get the miniSAS breakout cables
which will add $30 to the cost... then again wiring will be a little cleaner this way.

Personally I'm waiting for more information about the new Areca SAS HBA.
Arc-1300ix-16: 16 internal, 8 external ports, PCIe 4x, SAS HBA.

Similarly, a google search only results in some european webshop w/out
any pricing info.

It is a regular card, its just missing the pci slot bracket in the picture..

And SAS too.. I probably could have gotten two of these vs an Adaptec 31605 to run my SAS drives :(

I don't know why I spaced on the PERC 5 i/e. Well, I wanted more ports on a single card, but probably should have looked at them. Or this SM card.

I don't know why I spaced on the PERC 5 i/e. Well, I wanted more ports on a single card, but probably should have looked at them. Or this SM card.
This was probably just announced. The fact that it only turns up 8 hits on google means that it really isn't available anywhere. As for the PERC 5 cards, well, performance isn't going to be anywhere near the other two RAID cards you have. I would hate to have to rebuild the array with one of the Dell cards with a bunch of drives. My 1280ML is slow as is compared to the 1680ix-24, but those are just way worse.

3 of these in any recent mobo = 24 ports ready to rock.. perfect for a norco 4020 setup

Where can you buy these?

Ockie your dream has come true

Next obvious question, good inexpensive (not cheap, just not more money than needed) socket 775 board with 2-3 PCI-e slots (x4, x8, or x16).

I wish Norco had a case with a shit-ton(20+) of 2.5in hotswaps.

That with an An Asus 17 board, i7 extreme, 12gb of ram, 24 vraptors RAID 0/10 would make for a kick ass encoding box.

Where can you buy these?

Ockie your dream has come true

Holy shit, talk about a big "Hell yeah" and "it's about time"

The moment these come on sale, I will replace all of my PCIX units. Sounds like these cards may spur a time for a new build ;)

on a related note with nonRAID controllers:

I had 8 x Cheetah T10s (300GB 15k rpm SAS) attached to an LSI SAS3080X with software striping in Win2k3 Server. HD Tune max transfer reads of ~600 MB/s. Put the same drives on my Adaptec 31605 in R0 (set up in the card) and I top out at ~450 MB/s.

Anyone able to find out if we can purchase these in the US? I would be highly interested in these for my new storage server build. I sent off an e-mail to Super Micro asking about US availability as I was unable to find any US retailers but I don't really expect to get an answer.

Anyone able to find out if we can purchase these in the US? I would be highly interested in these for my new storage server build. I sent off an e-mail to Super Micro asking about US availability as I was unable to find any US retailers but I don't really expect to get an answer.

I tried some supermicro channels and I don't expect to hear an answer either.

Anyone here a response back from SuperMicro about this? I haven't gotten a reply from my e-mail (shock) of any kind; even a generic form response. I am thinking about calling but I have a feeling it will go to voicemail.

I've looked around online for retailers but haven't spotted any that are stocking it. Anyone else have any luck locating it for purchase? I wouldn't really be opposed to buying it from the UK etc, better than nothing.

Anyone here a response back from SuperMicro about this? I haven't gotten a reply from my e-mail (shock) of any kind; even a generic form response. I am thinking about calling but I have a feeling it will go to voicemail.

I emailed our rep at work and I'll let ya guys know, assuming it's not a NDA-ed piece of info (alot of the launch date/pre-release pricing info is NDA release only).

I also checked distribution and don't see it in channel anywhere so I'm assuming it's not available yet.

Open offer: If anybody ever needs Supermicro info, feel free to shoot me a PM. I have a good working relationship with the several people there (through work) and can typically get replies in less than a day or just directly call them.

Open offer: If anybody ever needs Supermicro info, feel free to shoot me a PM. I have a good working relationship with the several people there (through work) and can typically get replies in less than a day or just directly call them.

Great news; thanks for the effort on my/our behalf! PM sent.

I'm still looking for a good socket 775 mobo. Would really suck for the mobo to cost more than 2x cards.

Available 03/16 @ $89 (best pricing).

Awesome, That's soon too. Does anyone have an idea what retailers will be the first to market with these? I don't know much about where Supermicro usually distributes first. Will our best friends over there at the egg likely have these right away?

Awesome, That's soon too. Does anyone have an idea what retailers will be the first to market with these? I don't know much about where Supermicro usually distributes first. Will our best friends over there at the egg likely have these right away?

That's hard to say; I'm don't know how Newegg does it's purchasing, but it's possible.

Are there any other retailers you think of that particularly stock server equipment that are more likely to see these up front? I guess really I don't need to be in the first wave but i'm chomping at the bit here to get a new server up and running (its been almost 2 years since my last full build !!!) This card is actually really exciting. Especially at an $89.00 price point that is nothing short of amazing.

Provantage carries quite a bit in the way of server related stuff. Or do you mean B&M? If that's the case, I wouldn't have a clue.

I just wondered where else I might be able to look for them come next week, I generally use Newegg and a few others like ZZF and Fry's online so I just wasn't sure about server retailers. That's really all. thanks a ton.

Provantage, theNerds.net, ewiz.com all the main carriers of these products and tend to have them in quickly.

Hey uuummm ockie, how much data do I need to have to fit into the storage pimp club? ;) This might just break my bank account :p

That's actually a good question... I should be pushing 10tb before the end of the month....

heh, there is no real requirement. most of the people on the list are people i talk to or attend lan events with... or when im not lazy and i see a nice build :D

As for this controller. Damn I'm excited. If anyone wants the SAT2 version, let me know, I have quite a few and I'll sell them cheaply (prob like 50 each)

Back