Need a RTS game recommendation

ike989

[H]ard|Gawd
Can the good people of [H] recommend a RTS or similar style game for me? I've been playing FPS so much lately that I'm in the mood for something else. But here are some criteria:

1. Little resource management - I don't like to spend all of my time telling incompetent villagers to chop wood or laying out a power grid for future expansion. Management and planning activities are what I do for a living. They shouldn't be the focus of any fun time activities.
  2. Involving game play - I really like a game that can grab my attention with excellent game play. Graphics, physics, music, and such are all tools for game immersion but they are secondary to how the game is actually played. You can only marvel at the scenery so much. :)
  3. Customization and replay-ability - My favorite games allow the you to customize your style of game play. This allows you to play it several times in a row with a different strategy each time. This is a big plus for me.

The last RTS I played was Sid Meier's Pirates because it is definitely my all time favorite (2004 version). It is a game with engaging game play and total control of your fleet without a lot of hassles. If anyone can recommend something like it, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sounds like you need to check out Dawn of War II. There's a multiplayer beta currently available on Steam.

1. Little resource management - The game revolves around capping and defending nodes which provide you with your resources. You'll be in battle, constantly!
2. Involving game play - Many units have special abilities that can turn the tide of battle if used at the right time. The graphics, physics and animations are all incredible! Check out some gameplay videos.
3. Customization and replay-ability - At the beginning of a match, every race gets to choose one of three race specific hero units. All of them have different abilities and are customizable with upgrades. Also, most of the units have the option to be upgraded with different abilities and weapons. This makes for many combinations of army setups.

The game isn't about massing armies or base building. Instead, you focus on individual squads and their special abilities to take out foes. The cover system is also a nice feature. Luckily for you, it comes out Thursday.

I would also suggest taking a look at Company of Heroes and its expansion. It's a WWII based RTS which will offer a very solid single player campaign and online play.

Can the good people of [H] recommend a RTS or similar style game for me? I've been playing FPS so much lately that I'm in the mood for something else. But here are some criteria:

1. Little resource management - I don't like to spend all of my time telling incompetent villagers to chop wood or laying out a power grid for future expansion. Management and planning activities are what I do for a living. They shouldn't be the focus of any fun time activities.
  2. Involving game play - I really like a game that can grab my attention with excellent game play. Graphics, physics, music, and such are all tools for game immersion but they are secondary to how the game is actually played. You can only marvel at the scenery so much. :)
  3. Customization and replay-ability - My favorite games allow the you to customize your style of game play. This allows you to play it several times in a row with a different strategy each time. This is a big plus for me.

The last RTS I played was Sid Meier's Pirates because it is definitely my all time favorite (2004 version). It is a game with engaging game play and total control of your fleet without a lot of hassles. If anyone can recommend something like it, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Chuck

I think World in Conflict best fits your criteria. I haven't played it, but I'm pretty sure it has zero resource management and decent story. I'm not so sure about customization and replayability.

Back